Author Topic: Box Blather  (Read 298642 times)

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Pettersson and others
Re: Box Blather
« Reply #1200 on: November 11, 2021, 02:34:45 AM »
So I've ordered a box of Beethoven chamber music. Complete violin sonatas, cello sonatas, string trios and piano trios.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #1201 on: November 11, 2021, 03:52:01 AM »
So I've ordered a box of Beethoven chamber music. Complete violin sonatas, cello sonatas, string trios and piano trios.

Which recordings?
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Pettersson and others
« Reply #1202 on: November 11, 2021, 07:23:18 AM »
It has arrived now.

Zukerman, Du Pre, Barenboim, Perlman, Harrell etc.

Offline classicalgeek

Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #1203 on: November 12, 2021, 02:38:08 PM »
An Ansermet box ("Ernest Ansermet - The Stereo Years") set to release in February 2022:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/stereo-years/hnum/10767645

No cover yet - JPC is the only place I've seen it. There's a lot of overlap with his French Music, Russian Music, and European Tradition boxes that were released several years ago. But there's a lot of mono recordings in those boxes that won't be included in the new one. Which begs the question: is Decca planning to release an Ansermet mono box as well?

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    Telemann, Bach, Debussy, etc
« Reply #1204 on: November 13, 2021, 05:25:03 PM »
An Ansermet box ("Ernest Ansermet - The Stereo Years") set to release in February 2022:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/stereo-years/hnum/10767645

No cover yet - JPC is the only place I've seen it. There's a lot of overlap with his French Music, Russian Music, and European Tradition boxes that were released several years ago. But there's a lot of mono recordings in those boxes that won't be included in the new one. Which begs the question: is Decca planning to release an Ansermet mono box as well?

88 cds. Pretty robust.  I have the French and Russian boxes, so will be steering clear of this one. Probably :-\
It's all good...

Offline classicalgeek

Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #1205 on: November 29, 2021, 04:04:02 PM »
88 cds. Pretty robust.  I have the French and Russian boxes, so will be steering clear of this one. Probably :-\

I missed out on those boxes when they were first released, so I'm at least considering the 88 CD stereo box. The OSR may not have been among the world's best orchestras, but they have a distinctive timbre that really works well in a lot of these pieces.

The Zoltan Kocsis Decca box (it's been covered in this thread) apparently will now be released on February 4: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/zoltan-kocsis-complete-philips-recordings/hnum/10686774

And there's a Heinrich Schiff Decca box slated for mid-February: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/heinrich-schiff-collection-ltd/hnum/10770089 - I think Warner needs to issue an H. Schiff box too. His Bach Cello Suites on EMI were my go-to recording!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 11:01:27 AM by classicalgeek »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1962 - 1918)
    Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius, Bartók et. al.
« Reply #1206 on: November 29, 2021, 04:12:12 PM »

+1
"Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art." - Claude Debussy