Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

The older Previn box? or single issues had some small cuts in "Sleeping Beauty" to fit it on two discs, I think. (I only have one of these, in a red or purplish cardboard box.) Supposedly this was fixed in the most recent issues that might have an additional disc or use a bit of the space left on the Nutcracker discs.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Quote from: Jo498 on August 10, 2022, 11:17:46 PM
The older Previn box? or single issues had some small cuts in "Sleeping Beauty" to fit it on two discs, I think. (I only have one of these, in a red or purplish cardboard box.) Supposedly this was fixed in the most recent issues that might have an additional disc or use a bit of the space left on the Nutcracker discs.

Correct, the cuts have been restored, including in the Ballets Russes box.

I understand it's only a couple of numbers that aren't likely to be anyone's highlights, but still it's nice to know they've considered the issue.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

staxomega

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 05, 2022, 07:34:43 PM
Thanks for the appreciation. I'm always pleasantly surprised when someone takes me seriously. You have described my view pretty well. I've noticed I get less value from yet another technically flawless recording of yet another immaculately executed performance of a familiar work. The old orchestras had performance styles which could be uniquely colorful and engaging, if you can tolerate the audio limitations. I've tried to train myself to imagine what actual sound would be required to produce what I am hearing through those old microphones recorders.

One of the things I admire is the ability of the brass sections of the French Orchestra to create an atmosphere of excitement without playing too loudly, maybe a combination of their instruments and performance style. Markevitch/Lamoreaux is good for this. And a real French French horn section is something to be treasured! :)

Some of the more interesting stuff is from the Mono years, not long after the orchestras had reconstituted themselves after the war. That Cluytens set has a remarkable recording of Ravel's Pavane pour une infante défunte from 1950 (very prominent horn vibrato) and a barn burning Schumann 4 from the same year (Paris Conservatory and Orchestre National de la Radiodiffusion Francaise, respectively).

BTW, is the Tommasini/Scarlatti selection the old Desormiere recording on Decca?

How I wish Eloquence would come out with a complete Decca/Paris Conservatory box.

I find your posts very helpful as well, on other boards you can like a post which shows some appreciation or agreement.

I agree with you on what is special about some of these orchestras, I find it so with some of the conductors of that era as well. I was making a comment on another board that I'd probably see the BSO more if we had Yannick Nézet-Séguin, but thinking about it more is he really that different from Nelsons? It's all that sort of corporate safeness across the board with the odd exceptional or unique performance here and there.

I streamed the Richard Bonynge box to see if I wanted to buy the Decca box when it was available. I'm not sure if I'll ever get onboard with most ballets, in general they feel overly long to me with some vague narration we're supposed to piece together in our head; rarely any repeated themes, melodies or narratives so it just sounds like a huge ADHD fest. I think the list of ballets I like would be even smaller than the number of operas I like. From the point of view of listening to these with complete undivided attention and not as background music, I do quite like when they're cut down as suites or excerpts, ie two acts from Giselle is hell of a lot more palatable for undivided listening then the entire ballet.

LKB

For those still unaware who may be interested, the Netherlands Wind Ensemble complete recordings on Philips are available as a set.

Here's a bit of Krommer:

https://youtu.be/kME48Hhk0qo
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Maestro267

What are people's recommendations among the CPO complete symphonies boxes?

I've got Toch and Wellesz, with Atterberg arriving tomorrow.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 01, 2022, 05:11:41 AMWhat are people's recommendations among the CPO complete symphonies boxes?

It's been a very long while since I listened to either, but beside Atterberg, I also remember liking the Ture Rangstrom set.
Olivier

Jo498

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 01, 2022, 05:11:41 AMWhat are people's recommendations among the CPO complete symphonies boxes?

What else is there? Krenek maybe, if you like a bit more adventurous stuff than the three mentioned.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Maestro267

Quote from: Jo498 on December 01, 2022, 12:31:47 PMWhat else is there? Krenek maybe, if you like a bit more adventurous stuff than the three mentioned.

Of the ones I can see, I'm certainly interested in Krenek, along with Isang Yun and Darius Milhaud. Maybe Benjamin Frankel too? I've already collected some individual volumes of the Pettersson cycle so that box is out of the question.

Others I've seen: Ture Rangström, Wilhelm Petersen-Berger, Felix Draeseke, Theodore Gurvy, Andrzej Panufnik

Mookalafalas

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 29, 2022, 10:47:06 AMAn entirely worthwhile investment, I agree, although as yet I am only in the 40s.

Karl, did you make it to the end?
    Mine just arrived. I'm on disk 1. A long journey ahead!
          I expected it to be fairly unlistenable (1928). However, it's just fine. I grew on LPs (and LPs burned onto cassettes), so the background crackle just gives it a bit of nostalgic seasoning...

I got this box along with the giant Muti. Too much, I know, but I have virtually nothing of either, and they are very cheap now, so why not.
    Merry Christmas to me ;D
It's all good...

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 12, 2022, 08:14:10 PMKarl, did you make it to the end?
I need to resume. Merry Christmas, Al!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mookalafalas

Merry Christmas to you, too!
   I'm on disk 4. I wonder if these early disks, even with poor sound, might be more fun than the later ones. I'm enjoying the strange mixes popular and obscure-- lots of composers I've never even heard of. I suspect many were crowd pleasers at the time--light, but lively and fun. I'm actually on my second run through 4, but suspect I will lose momentum later in the set, with Sibelius 1-7, etc...

Interestingly, the early disks of the Muti box and Barbirolli box are mostly recorded in the same place--Kingsway Hall, London. No similarity at all, however ;D
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Up to 13 in Barbirolli. It's fun. I love the historical aspect of it. From 1928 to just about 1950. It's like a time-warp through the evolution of recording technology. The music choices are educational, too. Bax, Rubbra, and lots of Elgar. I'd never been that crazy about any of them, but for some reason, in this kind of chronological approach, they make more sense to me. Actually, I'm really liking Elgar a lot, especially the Enigma variations, which I actually heard a lot when I was younger, but then sort of forgot about.
  I noticed that towards the end of the box time goes backwards again--with lots more from the 1920s. Not that excited about that, to be honest...
It's all good...

JBS

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 19, 2022, 03:06:31 AMUp to 13 in Barbirolli. It's fun. I love the historical aspect of it. From 1928 to just about 1950. It's like a time-warp through the evolution of recording technology. The music choices are educational, too. Bax, Rubbra, and lots of Elgar. I'd never been that crazy about any of them, but for some reason, in this kind of chronological approach, they make more sense to me. Actually, I'm really liking Elgar a lot, especially the Enigma variations, which I actually heard a lot when I was younger, but then sort of forgot about.
  I noticed that towards the end of the box time goes backwards again--with lots more from the 1920s. Not that excited about that, to be honest...

The time skip is because the box puts the vocal/opera and choral recordings in their own segments after the purely orchestral stuff, also arranged chronologically.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

AaronSF

Classical Select World is selling Warner Classics 30-CD, Vaughn-Williams box set for $99.99 (marked down from $119.99).  It's mostly a reissue of EMI's Collector's Edition from 2010.  I don't know if this is a great price or not, but I think it might be.  This is far more Vaughn-Williams than I want to own, but others of you may find it desirable.  It looks like everything VW composed.

Vaughn-Williams box set (30 cds)

The symphonies are performed by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Vernon Handley.  I don't know these interpretations so cannot comment on them.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: JBS on December 19, 2022, 07:58:10 AMThe time skip is because the box puts the vocal/opera and choral recordings in their own segments after the purely orchestral stuff, also arranged chronologically.

Ah, that makes sense. I suppose I would have found it out, eventually, but would probably have taken a couple months ;D
   Thanks.
It's all good...

geralmar

Just ordered from U.K.

I found his review after I bought the box and so have no opinion.  Useful for contents of box.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xRWgIsGN3vo

j winter

Just FYI, it looks like this is releasing shortly... probably mostly the same recordings, not sure if they've remastered anything...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Mookalafalas

On 40 in Barbirolli. He was just churning stuff out in secon half of '50s, and it is sooooo good. From 1956 sound is excellent. Dare I say this section of the box is up there with the Reiner and Szell sets? Wonderful interpretations and playing.

And just splurged on a box I don't need.

I've got all the Bernstein, which is a huge chunk of this--but then there are a bunch of other goodies. Here in Japan the price is down to $65. Couldn't resist...
It's all good...

Brian

There are some complains on European Amazon websites about:

Apparently the remasterings of CDs 1-6 feature severe distortion, a digital "ringing" sound just above middle C.

Mookalafalas

Has the whole "Big Box Era" sort of run it's course? For several years, there was so much exciting and wonderful stuff coming out, I couldn't control myself. Now it seems a bit like the well has run dry.
It's all good...