Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

The Pavarotti big box is around 100. I'm surprised opera singers are not occupying the top spots, since operas tend to be long.

More improbably there is the 130 CD and 4 DVD megabox dedicated to Idil Biret.

Of course, all the pianists are waiting for their true king, the Jeno Jando megabox.

JBS

The Menuhin Century set is 80 CDs plus 11 DVDs, and states flat out that it is only a selection from 300 CDs worth of recordings he made for HMV/EMI as violinist or conductor. [That would not, it seems, include recordings made for other labels now in the Warner stable.]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

Quote from: Brian on April 24, 2023, 03:44:33 PMMore improbably there is the 130 CD and 4 DVD megabox dedicated to Idil Biret.

In terms of total timing, that has got to surpass the Rubinstein box.

Quote from: Brian on April 24, 2023, 03:44:33 PMOf course, all the pianists are waiting for their true king, the Jeno Jando megabox.

But how does he compare to Charles Segal?

Quote from: JBS on April 24, 2023, 03:45:36 PMThe Menuhin Century set is 80 CDs plus 11 DVDs, and states flat out that it is only a selection from 300 CDs worth of recordings he made for HMV/EMI as violinist or conductor.

The Warner website cites 300 works, not discs.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Quote from: Todd on April 24, 2023, 03:52:41 PMThe Warner website cites 300 works, not discs.

The Amazon blurb says "300 discs", but 300 works does sound more likely.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

Quote from: JBS on April 24, 2023, 03:59:04 PMThe Amazon blurb says "300 discs", but 300 works does sound more likely.

Amazon definitely botched it.  From Warner's site:

"Lasting for nearly 70 years, Lord Menuhin's contract with EMI was the longest in the history of the music industry. In November 1929, at the age of 13, he made his first recordings for the Company in London, and he made his last recording shortly before his death in 1999, when he conducted the Sinfonia Varsovia in Beethoven's Piano Concertos with François-René Duchâble as the soloist.

In total Menuhin recorded over 300 works for EMI as both violinist and conductor. Menuhin's range was unique, including all of the main classical works for violin as well as collaborations with Stéphane Grappelli and Ravi Shankar.
"

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Holden on April 24, 2023, 02:43:20 PMAs far as pianists go I believe that this is it and am happy to say that I own it. I'm trying to think of a pianists who were alive and performing long enough to do that many recordings and the closest I can get is Cziffra with 41 CDs.

Ciccolini's complete EMI box came in at 56 discs (which I value highly).

Counting discs can be deceptive because some editions pack the discs to ~70 minutes each and some are "original jacket" with one LP per disc, about 40 minutes per disc.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Franco_Manitobain

I would like a Karajan size 300+ disc box set of classical guitar repertoire please.  ;D  8)

Guess it probably only be Naxos or Brilliant Classics that might be able to pull that off.  Or Warner, since they practically own almost everybody now!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on May 19, 2023, 05:55:28 AMI would like a Karajan size 300+ disc box set of classical guitar repertoire please.  ;D  8)

Guess it probably only be Naxos or Brilliant Classics that might be able to pull that off.  Or Warner, since they practically own almost everybody now!

I do not purposefully own a single disc of classical guitar music. I probably have something I am not aware of in a box set (Villa Lobos, perhaps).
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 19, 2023, 06:03:04 AMI do not purposefully own a single disc of classical guitar music. I probably have something I am not aware of in a box set (Villa Lobos, perhaps).

I was pretty much in your boat until I dug into the Manuel de Falla box set a few months ago and the guitar transcriptions included in it.  Since then I have been down the classical guitar music discovery rabbit hole.  There is very little hope in me resurfacing anytime soon.  ::)

Florestan

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on May 19, 2023, 05:55:28 AMI would like a Karajan size 300+ disc box set of classical guitar repertoire please.  ;D  8)

I'm with you all the way, Ray. The guitar is a marvelous instrument, melancholy and gentle or jocular and cheerful by turns, and intimate in both cases. Sanz, Mudarra, de Visee, Corbetta, Lhoyer, Carulli, Paganini, Giuliani, Sor, Mertz, Regondi, Tarrega, Barrios, Torroba, Rodrigo etc etc etc --- lots of wonderful composers and works to caress one's soul and delight one's ears. What's not to like? (I even decided, following advice received here on GMG, to learn playing it)

One of the best recitals of anyone and anything I've ever attended was the Polish guitarist Marcin Dylla. It was a mesmerizing experience.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: Florestan on May 19, 2023, 08:36:00 AMI'm with you all the way, Ray. The guitar is a marvelous instrument, melancholy and gentle or jocular and cheerful by turns, and intimate in both cases. Sanz, Mudarra, de Visee, Corbetta, Lhoyer, Carulli, Paganini, Giuliani, Sor, Mertz, Regondi, Tarrega, Barrios, Torroba, Rodrigo etc etc etc --- lots of wonderful composers and works to caress one's soul and delight one's ears. What's not to like? (I even decided, following advice received here on GMG, to learn playing it)

One of the best recitals of anyone and anything I've ever attended was the Polish guitarist Marcin Dylla. It was a mesmerizing experience.

Andrei, why don't you ever post in the guitar recordings thread?!?! :o  ;D

That is fantastic that you are learning to play! Huge kudos to you.  :)

Florestan

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on May 19, 2023, 08:49:30 AMAndrei, why don't you ever post in the guitar recordings thread?!?! :o  ;D

Is there such a thread? I guess it just flew under my radar, there are only a handful of threads where I post regularly. I will post there very soon, stay tuned.

QuoteThat is fantastic that you are learning to play! Huge kudos to you.  :)

Well, the first step is to buy a suitable guitar. Luckily, my Spain-living paternal aunt is visiting Bucharest together with her Soanish husband, a passionate and knowledgeable amateur guitarist, so I'll ask hims to assist me in this respect. As for truly learning to play it, it's a long way ahead --- but the day when and if I'll be able to play even Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star will be one of the happiest days of my life.  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Brian

Buyers, beware: the much-delayed Ansermet Stereo edition is drawing negative reviews online because the Brahms German Requiem contains a faulty/buggy track, and also two of the discs (37 and 40) were accidentally printed with identical audio contents, and also one of the cardboard CD sleeves contains the correct CD, but the sleeve claims it is from the Zoltan Kocsis edition and lists track timings for Wagner/Liszt piano transcriptions!

Todd

Quote from: Brian on May 26, 2023, 11:41:13 AMBuyers, beware: the much-delayed Ansermet Stereo edition is drawing negative reviews online because the Brahms German Requiem contains a faulty/buggy track, and also two of the discs (37 and 40) were accidentally printed with identical audio contents, and also one of the cardboard CD sleeves contains the correct CD, but the sleeve claims it is from the Zoltan Kocsis edition and lists track timings for Wagner/Liszt piano transcriptions!

Very serious problems all.

Brian

In his Klemperer megabox video, Hurwitz says he has confirmation that Sony will be releasing two great big boxes to accommodate Eugene Ormandy's stereo Columbia legacy. So the full Ormandy Columbia discography will take up three big boxes. No word on RCA.

Atriod

I wonder if Universal will start doing mega boxes for Hyperion? I might buy one for Marc-Andre Hamelin, it's rare for me to buy his recordings. Florestan Trio depending on how much I'm missing.

Brian

@Mookalafalas any Stoltzman box thoughts? It's US $45 here for the weekend, and at barely more than a dollar a disc I am somewhat interested. Looks like it includes a lot of non-classical/"crossover" stuff, so not sure whether to go for it.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Brian on September 01, 2023, 07:34:38 PM@Mookalafalas any Stoltzman box thoughts? It's US $45 here for the weekend, and at barely more than a dollar a disc I am somewhat interested. Looks like it includes a lot of non-classical/"crossover" stuff, so not sure whether to go for it.

The non-classical (as in "crossover") stuff is really bad. really bad. I assume he just needed cash to pay off his house or something.  I like his Mozart and traditional stuff a lot-- beautifully recorded, and strong ensembles.  The "experimental" stuff with TASHI? I'm guessin you'll like that, although I lean more towards early and baroque than modern, myself, but it's certainly really good.
    The key thing might be his sound. Perlman and Stern and Cassals leave some creak and squeak in their string playing. I like that, I like the extra timbre and color. Stoltzman often has a clarinet equivalent, with some honkiness and...what? splutter? In a thread here someone described him as having "ugly tone."  I assume they prefer the more liquid sound of people like sabine Meyer and Ottensamer (who are both awesome, BTW). That would be the only dealbreaker, I'd say, if you don't like that tone.
It's all good...

Jo498

I never liked Stoltzman's sound but some people either like it or think the artistry is more important. I'd rather get single issues of TASHI and other material of interest than a Stoltzman box, unless one really likes the guy's work.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mookalafalas

I've been out of the box market for quite a while, but I may make an exception for this. Relatively puny, at 13 disks.
It's all good...