Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on February 13, 2015, 03:07:56 AMI am going to get it so I can use the cd covers for my 20th century music dartboard! Hmm, Ligeti or Boulez in the center?
That is the question....    ::)
Ligeti of course! I like his music much more than Boulez's.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on February 13, 2015, 03:16:23 AM
Ligeti of course! I like his music much more than Boulez's.

What music...?   :laugh:
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 13, 2015, 02:56:30 AM
I'm making a project of the Chandos box.

[asin]B001KZNUYC[/asin]

A classy box from a classy label.  I love the way the discs are not related to one another at all.  Each one is a wonderful and unexpected surprise when it follows on the heels of the last.   I expect to make a lot of new discoveries.  (Already have, in fact, and am only on disc 3).  I bog down in some boxes by getting bored by the consistency.  Maybe the best way is to line up several boxes and work through them all simultaneously (unless they are grab bag, like this Chandos, or the Erato). 

Nice choice! I had no idea you were interested in the Chandos box (  ;) ;) ;)). I actually do what you suggested (box line up), but sometimes I think I line up too many...  :D   and I forget where I started!    :'(
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on February 13, 2015, 03:23:30 AM
Nice choice! I had no idea you were interested in the Chandos box (  ;) ;) ;)). I actually do what you suggested (box line up), but sometimes I think I line up too many...  :D   and I forget where I started!    :'(

I know what you mean! The Yo Yo Ma box actually comes with several black things that look like coasters to mark where you've taken CDs out. I started just using empty plastic CD sleeves to mark my place in boxes.  I'm not consistent, though, and sometimes lose my place. 
   When not playing from my hard-drive, I listen to CDs with a 5 CD carousel player.  Usually once it's loaded I'm happy to play it through. Sometimes, however, hearing something will make me want to play something else and then I keep opening it and switching discs.  It can be hard to predict what you will want to hear in 5 hours.  If I want to hear a war-horse I'll put it on and enjoy it. However, if I load it into a future slot in the player, I will almost always have changed my mind by the time it comes up and be like "No, not this old dog."   If I'm not familiar with the music (i.e. the Delius I'm playing now), I will generally always be happy to play it all the way through even if I don't like it much.     
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on February 13, 2015, 03:21:06 AM
Oh, you haven't heard any? That explains. Just in time, too - I was just about to be irritated.

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: North Star on February 13, 2015, 04:03:47 AM
Oh, you haven't heard any? That explains. Just in time, too - I was just about to be irritated.

I have one Ligeti disc--from the Teldec box, I think.  I liked it, but doubt that I will need much more. I haven't heard any Boulez yet.
    Actually, I got the Boulez Sony box and lined the discs up in my book shelf (the names are printed on the spine).  After the first week I don't think I've played anything from it.  I found everything I played from it very engaging--even the stuff I didn't like (if that makes sense), but it just fell out of circulation for some reason. I just realized I don't play anything that is lined up on the top level of my book shelf. Apparently the neglect is purely logistical....
  I need to develop some kind of system so my music library becomes a kind of giant jukebox.
It's all good...

Brian

Boulez on DG is my #1 choice for Ravel. Especially if it includes the piano concertos.

North Star

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 13, 2015, 04:23:08 AM
I have one Ligeti disc--from the Teldec box, I think.  I liked it, but doubt that I will need much more.
The piano etudes / Musica ricercata disc by Aimard on Sony.

QuoteI haven't heard any Boulez yet.
Le marteau sans maître

My photographs on Flickr

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Brian on February 13, 2015, 04:35:39 AM
Boulez on DG is my #1 choice for Ravel. Especially if it includes the piano concertos.

With Zimmerman? I actually have that on my hard drive, but haven't heard it yet...Will cue it.
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: North Star on February 13, 2015, 04:44:29 AM
The piano etudes / Musica ricercata disc by Aimard on Sony.
Le marteau sans maître

Thanks to modern technology I just acquired this. Will play it as soon as Nigel Kennedy finishes with some watery Elgar...
It's all good...

EigenUser

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 13, 2015, 05:24:46 AM
  Thanks to modern technology I just acquired this. Will play it as soon as Nigel Kennedy finishes with some watery Elgar...
For what it's worth, my favorite Boulez is the Notations for orchestra (he orchestrated 5 of his original piano 'Notations'). Not long, and definitely worth hearing if you get the chance. People claim Boulez to be intellectual as opposed to visceral, but the last one (less than 2 minutes) would make it seem otherwise. One of the wildest, noisiest things ever.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

The new erato

Quote from: Moonfish on February 13, 2015, 03:21:06 AM
You guys sound like my dad when I listened to The Beatles in the 60ies.

Moonfish

Quote from: The new erato on February 13, 2015, 06:22:30 AM
You guys sound like my dad when I listened to The Beatles in the 6ies.

Anna Lappé

HIPster

This 4-disc set, Europe: Baroque, by the group Amarillis, is essential for lovers of this period:
[asin]B000VZN7KE[/asin]
Gordo hipped me to this one a while back. . .

Under $8 US on the amazon mp as I write this.  Worth it at full price as well.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: HIPster on February 13, 2015, 03:32:32 PM
This 4-disc set, Europe: Baroque, by the group Amarillis, is essential for lovers of this period:
[asin]B000VZN7KE[/asin]
Gordo hipped me to this one a while back. . .

Under $8 US on the amazon mp as I write this.  Worth it at full price as well.

Hipster, I have this in my basket, but am hoping not to pull the trigger, as I have so much fantastic baroque that I have either not heard, or not heard enough (how many CDs I have not heard enough!!).
    I finished playing through the DG 111 box one, and am now playing the Vivarte box.
[asin]B00AOTZ156[/asin]
   The DG is terrific, but the Vivarte, is fantastic, and so underappreciated!! That box used to go for $60. Apparently it is going OOP, as it is now often listed as 3X that price, even used.  Sony has a horrible gift for making their music sets look second rate, even when they are not.  That box is simply jam-packed with fantastic stuff--and the accompanying book is easily the best I have ever seen.  Long, rich, detailed articles for almost all the discs. 
   I have found a number of websites where you can download box sets.  I am really happy, as I just don't have the time to rip the 1000s of cds of box sets I have to my hard-drive.  I have set the Vivarte box as one gigantic playlist and can now just listen to it from start to finish with one click. It even displays the artwork 8)
Playing this now:
[asin]B00000270D[/asin]
Soooo good.
It's all good...

aap1960

Just delivered:
[asin]B00NX4NMGO[/asin].
Didn't find any booklet. Does one come with the box? I'm just wondering, as the box came from the U.K. somewhat beat up and ripped open, though the box still had the original wrapping on it.

Tony

Ken B

Quote from: aap1960 on February 26, 2015, 06:53:47 PM
Just delivered:
[asin]B00NX4NMGO[/asin].
Didn't find any booklet. Does one come with the box? I'm just wondering, as the box came from the U.K. somewhat beat up and ripped open, though the box still had the original wrapping on it.

Tony
No, no booklet at all. Great music though.

HIPster

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 26, 2015, 01:56:58 AM
Hipster, I have this in my basket, but am hoping not to pull the trigger, as I have so much fantastic baroque that I have either not heard, or not heard enough (how many CDs I have not heard enough!!).
    I finished playing through the DG 111 box one, and am now playing the Vivarte box.
[asin]B00AOTZ156[/asin]
   The DG is terrific, but the Vivarte, is fantastic, and so underappreciated!!
Hi Mookalafalas.  The Amarillis set is really fine.  Superb in both performance and sound.

However, if you are feeling swamped with Baroque at the moment, I could understand passing on it.

That said, it is a great bargain and well-worth the price.

FWIW, I passed on the Vivarte and now have my sight set on the Seon box.  I'll let you know when it arrives.  ;)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: HIPster on February 26, 2015, 07:54:16 PM
Hi Mookalafalas.  The Amarillis set is really fine.  Superb in both performance and sound.

However, if you are feeling swamped with Baroque at the moment, I could understand passing on it.

That said, it is a great bargain and well-worth the price.

FWIW, I passed on the Vivarte and now have my sight set on the Seon box.  I'll let you know when it arrives.  ;)

Yeah, the SEON looks great, too, and those that purchased it seem happy. I have close to 30 discs of it already, from other sets (like the big Sony Barock box), or that I bought in smaller sets.  I intend to get it eventually, but am expecting (hoping? Gambling) that the price will get even more reasonable in the future. 

I just read some stuff about the new Decca Mono box.  I'm quite curious about that one.
    Moonfish! Do you have it yet? Any thoughts? Lots of bonus material on the discs?
It's all good...