Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Que on December 12, 2015, 04:26:43 AM
Everybody ready?  ???  :D :D

[asin]B017MZ37H8[/asin]

Q

Wowie Zowie.  That's a serious organ Mama....
It's all good...

king ubu

Coincidentally, I just watched the one hour arte documentary about Olivier Latry and the Notre Dame organ - fascinating for sure!

Here's the booklet with full details:
http://www.brilliantclassics.com/media/1401237/95310-500-Years-Of-Organ-Music-COMPLETE-Organ-Specification.pdf

Didn't study it yet, nor have I really delved deeply into the organ recordings I've bought so far (most recent addition is the Alain box "L'Orgue Français"), but I'm intrigued!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Madiel

[asin]B017MZ37H8[/asin]
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017MZ37H8

Q

Ready to run the other way, screaming in terror.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Quote from: orfeo on December 12, 2015, 03:53:41 PM

These mega box sets are scary indeed... even if you kinda like what is on it.... ::)  :D

Q

Madiel

Yeah, well let's just say I'm not much of a fan of the organ.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: orfeo on December 12, 2015, 03:53:41 PM

Sort of +1...  ;D

Quote from: Que on December 13, 2015, 08:15:27 AM
These mega box sets are scary indeed... even if you kinda like what is on it.... ::)  :D

The only thing I hate about megaboxes is that no sooner I start listening to one than another one screams for my attention.  :D But honestly, the mere thought of listening to 50 CDs in a row of organ music makes my ear, mind and soul cringe in despair...  ;D ;D ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

kishnevi

Cross post from the main listening thread
Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 18, 2015, 06:16:41 PM
CDs 84/85:   Gustav Leonhardt playing Renaissance and Baroque organs from North Italy (although the music performed reaches to the 18th century and beyond, to Hummel)
[asin]B00KXJD58M[/asin]
The last pair of discs from an outstanding box (although not being keen about organs, I can't say I am as enthused about these last ones as others).  Some performance duds, but generally high quality throughout.  Two sequences of recordings stand out:
Couperin performed by an ensemble led by the Kuijkens, and a series of Bach for keyboard performed by Leonhardt.  Some of the latter has been budget-boxed here
[asin]B005TLWO6S[/asin]
Although that leaves out two discs of organ works and the English Suites.  The Couperin series is more problematic: some is available cheaply used, and the same performers went on to record more Couperin for Accent, but some seems unavailable except as part of this box.

I would anyone interested in the music of 1300-1800 to consider getting this box.

Holden

I'm vacillating over the Melodiya Sviatoslav Richter 50 CD box. I can't post a picture (not sure how to on an iPad) but while the contents are enticing, the price isn't.
Cheers

Holden

Artem

Has there been any recent(isn) cd box sets that compile recording that were previously unavailable on CD?

XB-70 Valkyrie

[asin]B017MZ37H8[/asin]

Q

Yes, that one is on my list as well--although, I am still only halfway through the 22 CD set L'Orgue Francais by Marie-Claire Alain and am on disc 7/10 of Famous Organ Music from Europe. I have various Muffat, Cornet, and Tunder that I still have not listened to.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

DaveF

[asin]B017MZ37H8[/asin]

Q

I briefly got excited by the $8.99 price tag for the mp3 on am.com - heck, that's roughly... £8.99 - but that's just Volume 1.   :(  (They've got it right on am.uk).
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Mookalafalas

Boxes galore!

I splurged for this one today:

[asin]B0184JZ62K[/asin]

A lot of the discs are super short (#2 is only 30 minutes), and yet I feel pretty happy about the purchase.  Each disc is a sort of event.  There is a big, handsome book, with a brief article about each one, and a full (giant, glossy) page for the track listing--like a program note.  I really feel sort of like I am going to the concert hall when I put in a disc...

It's all good...

The new erato

Quote from: DaveF on August 28, 2016, 12:46:48 AM
I briefly got excited by the $8.99 price tag for the mp3 on am.com - heck, that's roughly... £8.99 - but that's just Volume 1.   :(  (They've got it right on am.uk).
I play about 1 disc of organ music pr year so this box will last far longer than me.....

Mookalafalas

Shouldn't have, but with the British Pound so weak, I couldn't resist (UK Amazon).
  Should get here in a week or so.
[asin]B01GIUU9EM[/asin]
It's all good...

Walt Whitman

Got mine Saturday!

Been admiring it on Amazon for months but never thought I'd buy it; I did not think Renaissance music would appeal to me. Was I ever wrong! The singing of the madrigals is angelic and the HIP instruments are brought so alive by the irreproachable recording of L'Oiseau Lyre.

This is a box I'll be savoring for a long, long time!

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Walt Whitman on February 09, 2017, 05:10:38 PM
Got mine Saturday!

Been admiring it on Amazon for months but never thought I'd buy it; I did not think Renaissance music would appeal to me. Was I ever wrong! The singing of the madrigals is angelic and the HIP instruments are brought so alive by the irreproachable recording of L'Oiseau Lyre.

This is a box I'll be savoring for a long, long time!

Funny thing happened to me.  While I was waiting for mine, I started seriously playing this--which I have had for a long time but didn't listen to much. 
[asin]B002HNA9LS[/asin]

I am so bowled over I haven't opened the L'Oiseau Lyre yet! I'm glad to hear you are loving it. I'll get to it soon.
It's all good...

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: ørfeo on December 12, 2015, 03:53:41 PM
No kidding, I can't even take one CD of organ music.

Mookalafalas

Searching for this shows "no results"--and yet here it is ;D

Anyway, tons of interesting stuff out there. 

Amazon.de has the big New York Symphony box and the Vienna Philharmoniker boxes for 67 and 57 Euros each.  Crazy cheap.  And the new giant Arrau Box for 153 Euros. 

The Bach 2000 box has been updated, and is much cheaper-- $141 dollars for 153 disks...
[asin]B077QT18DW[/asin]

The Haydn box got an update as well, and is 10 disks closer to true completion...
[asin]B07511FB9L[/asin]

and this box, which is fantastic, is only 20 Euros from Amazon.de (less than 1/4 the US price).  Can't recommend it enough for top shelf HIP performers and performances.
[asin]B06XJGR3V1[/asin]
It's all good...

CB45

All:

'Documents', with their 10 CD boxes, have been serving those of us who look to an earlier recording era quite well recently.

But there are some artists who don't seem to be well represented in box format.

These artists would include, among conductors, Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt, and, among pianists, Myra Hess, Horszowski and Moiseiwitsch (variously available, largely on single CDs on Naxos and Testament).

If I have missed something, I'd very much like to be pointed in the right direction!

Good listening,

CB

Moonfish

I note that this thread has fallen into the realm of disuse over the last couple of years although Mookalafalas has triggered it once in a while. Are box sets on their way out or are people simply saturated with boxes in the basement? Is the market saturated?

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé