Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on May 07, 2018, 08:14:56 AM
I note that this thread has fallen into the realm of disuse over the last couple of years although Mookalafalas has triggered it once in a while. Are box sets on their way out or are people simply saturated with boxes in the basement? Is the market saturated?

I think the business has survived its shakeout and consolidation phase, so have less need of cash right now. So fewer boxes, fewer insane bargains.

Baron Scarpia

I think people have forgotten this thread and discussed boxes on other threads.

Seems like there are more premium boxes, and fewer ultra-cheap boxes. I've recently been seduced by the Arrau and Pollini complete editions, which are not super-bargain territory. But those very inexpensive "collectors editions" from Universal (or whatever they're called now) and ICONs from Warner (formerly EMI) do occasionally drop, perhaps not as often as they used to, but they may be running out of back catalog.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 07, 2018, 08:14:56 AM
I note that this thread has fallen into the realm of disuse over the last couple of years although Mookalafalas has triggered it once in a while. Are box sets on their way out or are people simply saturated with boxes in the basement? Is the market saturated?

Peter, is that really you!!? It's hard to believe. Hope you've been doing well this loooong while.
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 07, 2018, 04:00:53 PM
Peter, is that really you!!? It's hard to believe. Hope you've been doing well this loooong while.
Gained weight it looks.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 07, 2018, 10:48:19 AM

Seems like there are more premium boxes, and fewer ultra-cheap boxes. I've recently been seduced by the Arrau and Pollini complete editions, which are not super-bargain territory. But those very inexpensive "collectors editions" from Universal (or whatever they're called now) and ICONs from Warner (formerly EMI) do occasionally drop, perhaps not as often as they used to, but they may be running out of back catalog.

I think this thread has been in decline because Peter bowed out for a while and I stopped buying boxes...there weren't that many other fans, were there?
   There have been (even still are) some incredible deals.  Amazon.de still has the big NY Sym box for 54 Euros, for example.  But to buy big boxes you generally need to be kind of new to buying classical CDs. If you already have a lot of what is IN the box, most will feel it is wasteful or overly extravagant to buy the box.  I've basically stopped because I can't live long enough to enjoy what I've already purchased.  For me, each new box is essentially an exercise in hoarding.  That said, i would LOVE to have the Pollini and Arrau boxes.  Just saw Pollini a couple of weeks ago, and was deeply impressed.
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 07, 2018, 04:09:07 PM
  I think this thread has been in decline because Peter bowed out for a while and I stopped buying boxes...there weren't that many other fans, were there?
   There have been (even still are) some incredible deals.  Amazon.de still has the big NY Sym box for 54 Euros, for example.  But to buy big boxes you generally need to be kind of new to buying classical CDs. If you already have a lot of what is IN the box, most will feel it is wasteful or overly extravagant to buy the box.  I've basically stopped because I can't live long enough to enjoy what I've already purchased.  For me, each new box is essentially an exercise in hoarding.  That said, i would LOVE to have the Pollini and Arrau boxes.  Just saw Pollini a couple of weeks ago, and was deeply impressed.

I'm trying to taper off. The Boulez Debussy/Ravel and Stravinsky boxes left a bad taste in my mouth because they turned out to be recordings I want to like, but don't really like. Would have been tempted by the Boulez Sony Box, except I have almost all of it in the individual editions released a few years ago. But other than those, I've generally been very pleased by the complete artist sets I've acquired (mostly ICON's) and various repertoire based boxes (complete X's of Y conducted by Z, or complete works of X).

Pollini was pure hording for me (I had almost all of it in various releases, re-releases and collections) but it was worth it to have it all in one place, organized. The Arrau Box I is only 25% duplication for me.

Mookalafalas

I hardly ever play physical media now.  I have everything on a set of hard drives, so buying CD boxes seems extra silly to me--not that i don't go online and drool from time to time. 
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 07, 2018, 04:25:03 PM
I hardly ever play physical media now.  I have everything on a set of hard drives, so buying CD boxes seems extra silly to me--not that i don't go online and drool from time to time.

Drooling is good!  Well, hmm, I must admit that there is a certain sense of saturation. After all there is a limit on how many copies of the warhorses that one can own (or listen to for that matter).  For some reason I think about the Bruckner 6 listening bonanza we had back in the summer of 2015.  That was fun.

So no more boxes for you Al?  No sweet temptations? Only drool on the screen or on the floor in the music shop?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 07, 2018, 10:48:19 AM

How's the Pollini? I recall hearing some of the latest of his recordings and hearing a fair amount of breathing - reminded me of Gould for some reason (wonder why?). 
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 11, 2018, 10:14:48 PM
What about this musical morsel?

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8430816--rafael-kubelik-complete-recordings-on-deutsche-grammophon

Correct me if I'm wrong,but don't you have the DG Kubelik box from 3 years back or so? Seems like with the Bernstein and Richter boxes, where they repackage essentially the same material, but more attractively.  If they would give me a trade in on the earlier box, I would consider it, otherwise I just feel they are trying to exploit their customers.
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 11, 2018, 10:12:12 PM
So no more boxes for you Al?  No sweet temptations? Only drool on the screen or on the floor in the music shop?

Oh yeah, I think about it a lot.  I would love to have the Arrau, and the new Bach set (which looks excellent, and cheap at $150 for 153 CDs), but I know I will literally never have time to listen to them.  I have several boxes that still have the plastic on them...  That Russia box you just got is tempting, but I haven't heard back from you yet about the older recordings--and then I remember I have that 100 CD box of classic live recordings in the Meister Konzerte box... and the Great Moments at Carnegie Hall box, and the Vienna Philharmonic live box...
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 11, 2018, 10:18:07 PM
How's the Pollini? I recall hearing some of the latest of his recordings and hearing a fair amount of breathing - reminded me of Gould for some reason (wonder why?).

I just saw Pollini a couple of weeks ago, and it was wonderful.  He staggers around like he's going to fall down, and then plays like a god.  If that box came down to a standard box price (like around $100), I'd pounce.
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 11, 2018, 11:30:31 PM
  Correct me if I'm wrong,but don't you have the DG Kubelik box from 3 years back or so? Seems like with the Bernstein and Richter boxes, where they repackage essentially the same material, but more attractively.  If they would give me a trade in on the earlier box, I would consider it, otherwise I just feel they are trying to exploit their customers.

Hmm, I don't recall a Kubelik box. Perhaps you are thinking about the two Fricsay boxes?   You are likely to already have Kubelik's Mahler and Dvorak?  Besides this new box matches your avatar!!!!
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 11, 2018, 11:38:17 PM
  Oh yeah, I think about it a lot.  I would love to have the Arrau, and the new Bach set (which looks excellent, and cheap at $150 for 153 CDs), but I know I will literally never have time to listen to them.  I have several boxes that still have the plastic on them...  That Russia box you just got is tempting, but I haven't heard back from you yet about the older recordings--and then I remember I have that 100 CD box of classic live recordings in the Meister Konzerte box... and the Great Moments at Carnegie Hall box, and the Vienna Philharmonic live box...

The Warner Bach edition?
https://www.amazon.de/Complete-Bach-Ltd-Curtis/dp/B077QT18DW/ref=sr_1_14?s=music-classical&ie=UTF8&qid=1526140238&sr=1-14&keywords=bach&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A379148011

Hmm, yes, perhaps it is time to stop sleeping and listen more.  I can relate to the PMBS (post multi box syndrome). I'm starting to forget which boxes are behind the boxes that are behind the boxes. I need reorganization or a digital cloud approach, but is so nice to browse physically and to ponder the sleeves/booklets.....

My music room filled with cds!

Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on May 11, 2018, 10:12:48 PM
Meow!

I love my cats.  I fed them sardines once and they went wild. But the smell... I don't think I love them enough to do it again!

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 07, 2018, 04:25:03 PM

Did you rip your boxes or did you just abandon them?

king ubu

Still buying them, but they stack up on the shelves for future listening. Recent acquisitions include the Telemann set above, the NY Phil (although half of it is available elsewhere and on my shelves already), the Harnoncourt/Leonhardt Bach cantatas cycle, the Warner Debussy box, the Tonhalle Orchestra 150 box ...
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/