Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on May 12, 2018, 10:03:20 AM
Did you rip your boxes or did you just abandon them?

the majority I downloaded from various internet sites, presumably from other people who had ripped them. I had most of my boxsets stored in boxes, but now have them stacked on bookshelves so I can look around and feel like Uncle McScrooge, as per Peter's image above...
   There is a great free software program, MusicBee. It will show all the covers on a grid, for any file, so the way I have my music stored in hard drives, I can click on a file and all the contents' covers are shown on my big TV.  It's pretty sweet. Unfortunately, it makes having to stand up and walk and open boxes and take out CDs and put them in the disk player--and then put them away!--seem terribly arduous ???  Occasionally I go through a period where I ONLY play CDs, and it feels almost like a return to nature, but then I drift back again to using the computer (I have a laptop mounted on a swivel on the arm of my easy chair).
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: king ubu on May 12, 2018, 11:38:38 AM
Still buying them, but they stack up on the shelves for future listening. Recent acquisitions include the Telemann set above, the NY Phil (although half of it is available elsewhere and on my shelves already), the Harnoncourt/Leonhardt Bach cantatas cycle, the Warner Debussy box, the Tonhalle Orchestra 150 box ...

I actually LOST my Mercury Living Presence 3 box for about 6 months! I searched again and again. That is one of the key events that enabled me to break out of CDCDCD.  It was infuriating. It was actually just behind a stack of other boxes, but in a way that it seemed clear nothing as big as a box could possibly be back there (and yet it was...).
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 12, 2018, 07:47:24 AM
Hmm, I don't recall a Kubelik box. Perhaps you are thinking about the two Fricsay boxes?   You are likely to already have Kubelik's Mahler and Dvorak?  Besides this new box matches your avatar!!!!

Actually, I DO confuse him with Fricsay, but I was referring to this box:
[asin]B00IZ11XA2[/asin]
   Actually, looking more carefully now, I see that this one is only half the size, but--good as it is--I never played all of this one, so I will take a pass on the new one.
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 12, 2018, 03:19:40 PM
  Actually, I DO confuse him with Fricsay, but I was referring to this box:
[asin]B00IZ11XA2[/asin]
   Actually, looking more carefully now, I see that this one is only half the size, but--good as it is--I never played all of this one, so I will take a pass on the new one.

Well, Fricsay and Kubelik DO look similar in appearance. Hmm, that one slipped through my fingers. It kind of looks like one of the many Decca Italy renditions/boxes. So was it the Warner Bach edition you were referring to earlier or am I confused?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 12, 2018, 04:10:29 PM
So was it the Warner Bach edition you were referring to earlier or am I confused?

Your link was to the box I'm thinking about--although in my mind it is the Teldec Bach (Seems to be a revised version of Bach2000, which I never had a physical copy of, though I have a digital version).

But, lets get back to your Korean RUSSIAN box.  There are individualized sleeves for each disk? Apparently the disks themselves even have pictures. Nice touch.  I'm still waiting to hear from you something about the sound quality of the stuff from the 50s and 60s ;)  That is a handsome looking set, and a lot of new territory for me, but maybe not if the sound is unduly "historical."
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 12, 2018, 04:42:21 PM
  Your link was to the box I'm thinking about--although in my mind it is the Teldec Bach (Seems to be a revised version of Bach2000, which I never had a physical copy of, though I have a digital version).

But, lets get back to your Korean RUSSIAN box.  There are individualized sleeves for each disk? Apparently the disks themselves even have pictures. Nice touch.  I'm still waiting to hear from you something about the sound quality of the stuff from the 50s and 60s ;)  That is a handsome looking set, and a lot of new territory for me, but maybe not if the sound is unduly "historical."

I just listened to a few of LvB's piano sonatas performed by Richter. They were recorded in 1965, 1972 and 1975 and sounded great. Keep in mind that I don't listen with headphones.  I need to dig deeper into time and see how things are..
Yes, the sleeve and disc format are quite attractive and work pretty well. The image on the disc itself is a nice nod to us McScrooges!  :P
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 12, 2018, 03:14:38 PM
  I actually LOST my Mercury Living Presence 3 box for about 6 months! I searched again and again. That is one of the key events that enabled me to break out of CDCDCD.  It was infuriating. It was actually just behind a stack of other boxes, but in a way that it seemed clear nothing as big as a box could possibly be back there (and yet it was...).
Wrong lesson Al. Right lesson: buy a spare.

Moonfish

Spares are good. Let's see  - one for the car, one for work and one for home?
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Not to forget gifts!!!  8)
Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

I lost my Bilson set of Mozart Piano Concerti, it turned up in a box in storage, after I replaced it, of course.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on May 12, 2018, 04:55:43 PM
Wrong lesson Al. Right lesson: buy a spare.
;D ;D ;D :laugh:

Some deals were so good I came close! The Harmonia Mundi "Opera Baroque" box, The Perahia Box, and a 60 disk set of wonderful Baroque masterpieces that sometimes goes down to $30...they are like sad abandoned puppies that beg to be rescued from neglect... (Actually, I did get a rescue puppy for a family xmas gift last year).
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 12, 2018, 05:14:14 PM
I lost my Bilson set of Mozart Piano Concerti, it turned up in a box in storage, after I replaced it, of course.

Ouch! You truly belong in this thread!
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 12, 2018, 04:55:28 PM
I just listened to a few of LvB's piano sonatas performed by Richter. They were recorded in 1965, 1972 and 1975 and sounded great. Keep in mind that I don't listen with headphones.  I need to dig deeper into time and see how things are.
Please let me know when you do.  That is not only a Super-duper bargain, but would actually give me a lot of repertoire I don't have. Also, the stack of boxes I have and haven't listened to yet look bored and lonely--some new blood might cheer them up.
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 12, 2018, 05:21:46 PM
  Please let me know when you do.  That is not only a Super-duper bargain, but would actually give me a lot of repertoire I don't have. Also, the stack of boxes I have and haven't listened to yet look bored and lonely--some new blood might cheer them up.

Boxes are gregarious and need lots of care!
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 12, 2018, 05:17:25 PM
  Ouch! You truly belong in this thread!

Clearly!!   :laugh:

I tend to duplicate books in my library, but I do have a few duplicate cd boxes (gift supply, of course!).
Anna Lappé

Brian

From "Recordings You Are Considering":

Quote from: Brian on May 13, 2018, 03:03:59 PM
The Salonen/Sony Big Box is one of a small handful of recent Big Boxes that I am even considering purchasing. The others are Munch/Boston, Kubelik/DG, and oddly Ozawa/Philips. Perhaps I should cross-post to the Box Blather thread for people's opinions on these...

Biffo

Quote from: Brian on May 13, 2018, 03:04:56 PM
From "Recordings You Are Considering":

The Salonen box was reviewed on BBC Radio 3 Record Review on Saturday morning. The reviewer was generally enthusiastic though not about Salonen's Nielsen. The Stravinsky content was highly praised, as was the contemporary/avant garde recordings. Personally, the box contains too much that I own already or that I am not interested in. The programme should be available on BBC iPlayer, if you have access to it.

The Kubelik DG box is a complete non-starter for me as I own practically all of its content - needless to say I think it contains many wonderful recordings.

I already own some of the Munch box in a previous collection. The performances are fine but some of the recordings are a bit iffy. I was tempted but will probably give it a miss.

Moonfish

Anybody excited about the upcoming Szell Collection?   0:)

Anna Lappé

Moonfish

I'm pondering Argerich's EMI recordings. I've mostly listened to her DG recordings over the last few years.

Hmmm.. a no-brainer? Thoughts?

Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Moonfish on May 20, 2018, 10:29:58 PM
I'm pondering Argerich's EMI recordings. I've mostly listened to her DG recordings over the last few years.

Hmmm.. a no-brainer? Thoughts?

It combines the Teldec and EMI recordings, some really superb things in there. I have the previous EMI collection (divided into four boxes) and most of the Teldec in the original releases, or it would be a no-brainer for me.