Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 20, 2018, 10:21:39 PM
Anybody excited about the upcoming Szell Collection?   0:)

that's a handsome and worthy box. BUT, since I have the Korea box from a few years ago, I will probably try to hold off. Exercise restraint, etc.
It's all good...

Ken B

Oh jeez. That is just about the only box that tempts me!

You are righ Al, this fish fellow is evil!  ;)

Mookalafalas

the Kubelik box is 92 Euros if you get it from Amazon.de.   
   I have that and the Pollini box in my cart right now.
CDCDCD is strong with me tonight....

I'm trying to fight it with my Tennessee whiskey, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be helping ??? ::)
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

ended up with this for $79 from Am.de

[asin]B07532NFPB[/asin]
It's all good...

Baron Scarpia

Actually for me this would be a no-brainer. When I started my classical music collecting, in the LP days, Columbia records was a a low point, producing very low quality vinyl compared to the European labels. Szell was ruled out, only DG, London (what they called Decca in the US) DG, Philips or Telefunken (what they called Teldec in those days) was considered. I had no Szell at all. The habit carried over to the CD era, and I have very little Szell.

Unfortunately, I am under CD austerity. I think I will pass until I can justify it as a Christmas gift. :(

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 21, 2018, 07:00:34 AM

[asin]B07532NFPB[/asin]

Good price. To me it is one of the "blended" boxes from the corporation - I prefer themes linked to an era, conductors, artists, or composers rather than solid mixes focused on instruments, an orchestra or the label. However, if the price is right I can change my mind!! I would definitely choose Kubelik or Pollini over the Decca piano box. If I recall correctly you began your CDCDCD journey with three label boxes (Erato, Das Alte Werk and Teldec)?     :P
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 21, 2018, 07:47:24 AM
Actually for me this would be a no-brainer. When I started my classical music collecting, in the LP days, Columbia records was a a low point, producing very low quality vinyl compared to the European labels. Szell was ruled out, only DG, London (what they called Decca in the US) DG, Philips or Telefunken (what they called Teldec in those days) was considered. I had no Szell at all. The habit carried over to the CD era, and I have very little Szell.

Unfortunately, I am under CD austerity. I think I will pass until I can justify it as a Christmas gift. :(

I'm in the same spot as you Baron! Very little Szell in my listening experience as well as collection so this fills a gap. After all Szell's name is legendary and his recordings seem to often be in the reference realm. Perhaps an early Christmas gift???   >:D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 21, 2018, 06:10:37 AM
the Kubelik box is 92 Euros if you get it from Amazon.de.   
   I have that and the Pollini box in my cart right now.
CDCDCD is strong with me tonight....

I'm trying to fight it with my Tennessee whiskey, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be helping ??? ::)

The whiskey whispers "Pollini Pollini Pollini Pollini Pollini...."  >:D

Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Moonfish on May 21, 2018, 07:56:26 AM
I'm in the same spot as you Baron! Very little Szell in my listening experience as well as collection so this fills a gap. After all Szell's name is legendary and his recordings seem to often be in the reference realm. Perhaps an early Christmas gift???   >:D

That would disturb the situation of detente in the family. The arrival of a single CD could trigger the arrival of boxes from Europe containing fancy shoes.  :o  :laugh:

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Moonfish on May 21, 2018, 07:58:32 AM
The whiskey whispers "Pollini Pollini Pollini Pollini Pollini...."  >:D

The Pollini box is awesome.  >:D

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 21, 2018, 12:29:05 AM
that's a handsome and worthy box. BUT, since I have the Korea box from a few years ago, I will probably try to hold off. Exercise restraint, etc.

I missed the Korean box (lots of crying, but compensated by the Korean Westminster boxes). How was that Szell collection? Have you spent much time with them?  I wonder how the original Korean collection compare with the upcoming one? The new uses original covers so they are probably running 30-40 minute cds across the board?
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 21, 2018, 07:58:50 AM
That would disturb the situation of detente in the family. The arrival of a single CD could trigger the arrival of boxes from Europe containing fancy shoes.  :o  :laugh:

Send it to your work address...    ::)
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on May 21, 2018, 04:52:14 AM
Oh jeez. That is just about the only box that tempts me!

You are righ Al, this fish fellow is evil!  ;)

You need more music in your life, Ken!  8)

Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 20, 2018, 11:04:34 PM
It combines the Teldec and EMI recordings, some really superb things in there. I have the previous EMI collection (divided into four boxes) and most of the Teldec in the original releases, or it would be a no-brainer for me.

Tempting...very tempting...
It is interesting (and shameful) how the labels released so much of Argerich's recordings in portions (like DG/Universal released 4-5 mini-boxes followed by one huge one). It seems like Warner followed a similar approach. Evil!
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

[asin]B07532NFPB[/asin]

This is a nice one (if you are into voice recitals that is). Good price in the UK!! 

[asin] B01CSLH35S[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Moonfish on May 21, 2018, 08:06:33 AM
Tempting...very tempting...
It is interesting (and shameful) how the labels released so much of Argerich's recordings in portions (like DG/Universal released 4-5 mini-boxes followed by one huge one). It seems like Warner followed a similar approach. Evil!

The evil thing is that the complete Argerich Box contains one and only one recording that is not in the previous boxes, the Argerich/Rostropovich recording of the Chopin cello sonata. It got excluded because they limited the solo sonata box to Argerich/Kremer/Maisky, with filtered out the Rostropovich. I have it on an individual CD, but still, annoying.

The EMI is a bit of a hodgepodge because of the inclusion of some of those live from Lugano recordings, some of which are absolutely superb. But it becomes a 'collection' rather than a 'complete so-and-so' thing.

Baron Scarpia

[asin]B07532NFPB[/asin]

That one is a bit of an anathema to me, since I never was attracted to the "Decca Piano Sound." Generally too close and tubby.

Moonfish

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 21, 2018, 08:19:46 AM
That one is a bit of an anathema to me, since I never was attracted to the "Decca Piano Sound." Generally too close and tubby.

However, I really liked the Decca Mono Years compilation. Some interesting recordings!
Samples and info at: https://www.deccaclassics.com/us/cat/4787946

[asin] B00QHL0V3C[/asin]

Anna Lappé

MickeyBoy

Quote from: Moonfish on May 20, 2018, 10:29:58 PM
I'm pondering Argerich's EMI recordings. I've mostly listened to her DG recordings over the last few years.

Hmmm.. a no-brainer? Thoughts?

Any word on whether there have been remasterings and, if so, do they represent an improvement?
...the sound of a low whisper

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Moonfish on May 21, 2018, 11:32:48 AM
However, I really liked the Decca Mono Years compilation. Some interesting recordings!
Samples and info at: https://www.deccaclassics.com/us/cat/4787946

[asin] B00QHL0V3C[/asin]

That, I have and enjoy (as well as the DGG mono box). Now you see why CD austerity was in order. :)