Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 21, 2018, 11:44:15 AM
That, I have and enjoy (as well as the DGG mono box). Now you see why CD austerity was in order. :)

Ha ha!  Hmm, I have removed the word austerity in my vocabulary and have replaced it with CDcornucopia.   :P
Thanks for reminding me about the DGG mono box!!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 21, 2018, 07:00:34 AM
ended up with this for $79 from Am.de

[asin]B07532NFPB[/asin]

The dam bursts! Run for the hills!

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 21, 2018, 08:01:08 AM
I missed the Korean box (lots of crying, but compensated by the Korean Westminster boxes). How was that Szell collection? Have you spent much time with them?  I wonder how the original Korean collection compare with the upcoming one? The new uses original covers so they are probably running 30-40 minute cds across the board?

The box was actually put out by Sony, but for Korea ::) Kind of weird.
    In many ways comparable to Fritz Reiner--extremely tight, disciplined, clear playing and sound.  Vigorous, great orchestra.  A lot of Non-symphony Mozart--which is terrific. But mostly warhorses--perhaps some of the best played, but you (we) already have so many, many excellent renditions :-\
   As with almost all my box sets, I actually have only played a little of it. I got it during my initial frenzy, and never really went back, although it is certainly deserving. I never got this onto my hard drive, which is probably why it has been so neglected. Maybe I'll load in 5 disks right now!
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on May 21, 2018, 01:26:05 PM
The dam bursts! Run for the hills!

No damn bursting, but I may well go and get the Pollini at my local show. Seems like it is going to go OOP rather than become dirt-cheap :'(
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 21, 2018, 06:13:39 PM
  No damn bursting, but I may well go and get the Pollini at my local show. Seems like it is going to go OOP rather than become dirt-cheap :'(

In my experience DG boxes tend to increase in price or go OOP. Hmm, yes, the OOP specter is definitely plausible. To buy or not to buy...?
However, you probably already have excellent renditions of all the works found in the Pollini compilation. I guess it is a matter of paying tribute to the artist?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 21, 2018, 06:20:27 PM
In my experience DG boxes tend to increase in price or go OOP. Hmm, yes, the OOP specter is definitely plausible. To buy or not to buy...?
However, you probably already have excellent renditions of all the works found in the Pollini compilation. I guess it is a matter of paying tribute to the artist?

Actually, I have almost no Pollini--well, by our standards. I have his LvB, and the 13 box set, and a couple of odds and ends.  Very little.
  Dropped by the CD shop, but the price was higher than I had anticipated. curses. Lowest I can find is $137 from Am.UK.  Still not what I had hoped...

BTW, Ken was sort of right.  Now that I started buying a little, I really do feel a strong urge to go nuts...Where's that little dutch boy when you need him :D
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

OK. Ordered the Pollini.  Turns out I have some sort of credit card points that take $98 off the price.  Hard to beat. 

Coincidentally, the Soviet box is almost exactly that same price, delivered to my door.  Coincidence, or is the universe prodding me ::)
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

yes. I ordered the soviet box.  210 excellent discs for $220.  Nothing to be ashamed of there....although I am, a little bit :-[
It's all good...

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 22, 2018, 02:41:23 AM
OK. Ordered the Pollini.  Turns out I have some sort of credit card points that take $98 off the price.  Hard to beat. 

Pollini is unique. Even if I don't prefer his performance of a given work, I want to hear what he does with it.

One week after I got the Pollini box, he releases a new record. Back on the treadmill...

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 22, 2018, 02:46:39 AM
yes. I ordered the soviet box.  210 excellent discs for $220.  Nothing to be ashamed of there....although I am, a little bit :-[

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 22, 2018, 02:46:39 AM

Bravo! Bravo! Meow!

It reminds me that I need to get back to the Soviet box. Actually, most recordings in it are relatively recent (meaning not vintage - in the realm of mostly 80s and 90s).

Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 22, 2018, 09:40:53 AM

It reminds me that I need to get back to the Soviet box. Actually, most recordings in it are relatively recent (meaning not vintage - in the realm of mostly 80s and 90s).

Right. That is why I got it.  It really does look like a super bargain.
It's all good...

Maestro267

What Soviet box? You've aroused my curiosity now. Not that I could ever afford it.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 22, 2018, 12:33:22 PM
What Soviet box? You've aroused my curiosity now. Not that I could ever afford it.

This one.

available from Amazon Japan. 100 CDs for about 100 USD, shipped.
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 22, 2018, 12:26:14 PM
  Right. That is why I got it.  It really does look like a super bargain.

I keep getting distracted, but I intend to do a Soviet box listen bonanza soon.  We should have Soviet week! An annual event! At least I listened to Mravinsky's Shostakovich 10 today (from a different set). Ha ha!
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 22, 2018, 02:55:54 PM
I keep getting distracted, but I intend to do a Soviet box listen bonanza soon.  We should have Soviet week! An annual event! At least I listened to Mravinsky's Shostakovich 10 today (from a different set). Ha ha!

Do you have the Ansermet Russian music box? I got that and the French box from Amazon Italy a couple of years back.  Shamefully, I've yet to do much damage to it, and it really is a marvelous box.
[asin]B00J498SOI[/asin]
   Any recommendations of what to play from that?
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 22, 2018, 04:56:49 PM
  Do you have the Ansermet Russian music box? I got that and the French box from Amazon Italy a couple of years back.  Shamefully, I've yet to do much damage to it, and it really is a marvelous box.
[asin]B00J498SOI[/asin]
  And I love your "Soviet Week" idea.  I've never done that before.
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 22, 2018, 04:56:49 PM
[asin]B00J498SOI[/asin]

I need to ponder it!   Begin with Rachmaninov's Isle of the Dead. That will set the mood!!!!    >:D

:D
Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

All three are required, French, Russian (Stravinsky and Rimsky Korsakov), and European Tradition. Ansermet's Brahms is very good. :)

Sadly getting all there does not give you complete Ansermet, they left out the Bartok (which is dreadful).