Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 22, 2018, 07:31:08 PM
All three are required, French, Russian (Stravinsky and Rimsky Korsakov), and European Tradition. Ansermet's Brahms is very good. :)

Sadly getting all there does not give you complete Ansermet, they left out the Bartok (which is dreadful).

Yes, I did a fair amount of listening in terms of the 'French' and the 'European Tradition' compilations, but neglected the Russian one. Worth revisiting. We need more time in the day. Sounds familiar?  :P

Hey - we should have an Ansermet week!  Al?   Scarpia?  :D

*dreams about Ansermet's Bartók*
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 22, 2018, 07:53:44 PM
Yes, I did a fair amount of listening in terms of the 'French' and the 'European Tradition' compilations, but neglected the Russian one. Worth revisiting. We need more time in the day. Sounds familiar?  :P

Hey - we should have an Ansermet week!  Al?   Scarpia?  :D

*dreams about Ansermet's Bartók*
Actually, I skipped his "European Tradition"--I'm sure it is great, but I have literally 10 of each of those that are also "certified great".  If you want to do a French and Russian, I'm with you. Tell me what to put on, and I'll follow you. BTW, message from my mail carrier--the Russian Legends box should get here in about 48 hours >:(
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 22, 2018, 10:50:58 PM
Actually, I skipped his "European Tradition"--I'm sure it is great, but I have literally 10 of each of those that are also "certified great".  If you want to do a French and Russian, I'm with you. Tell me what to put on, and I'll follow you. BTW, message from my mail carrier--the Russian Legends box should get here in about 48 hours >:(

Oh, that does sound like fun! BTW 48 hours for the Soviet box is fast - perhaps not from your location (?), but I was impressed with Amazon.jp delivering to the US in such a short time for no extra S&H!  AND great secure packaging (compared to their counterpart in Germany).  The overlap aspect with the European Tradition makes sense - our warhorses become an army.  Still, sometimes it is exciting to hear these core aspects of the canon performed in different ways. I have listened to some "standards" performed by Mravinsky(Leningrad PO) and they sound fantastic. The Leningrad Orchestra has a brass section that comes across quite differently to what I'm used to in the majority of European and American orchestras.  Like howling wolves in the forest! Check out the first movement of Shostakovich's 10th if you have the inclination?

https://www.youtube.com/v/oW0pXARZCg8
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 22, 2018, 11:00:14 PM
Oh, that does sound like fun! BTW 48 hours for the Soviet box is fast - perhaps not from your location (?), but I was impressed with Amazon.jp delivering to the US in such a short time for no extra S&H!  AND great secure packaging (compared to their counterpart in Germany).
Not 48 hour from when I ordered, but from when I posted (however, it did arrive at my door in something like 60 hours, not too shabby for international)

Quote from: Moonfish on May 22, 2018, 11:00:14 PMThe overlap aspect with the European Tradition makes sense - our warhorses become an army.
;D ;D Nice line.

Quote from: Moonfish on May 22, 2018, 11:00:14 PMStill, sometimes it is exciting to hear these core aspects of the canon performed in different ways. I have listened to some "standards" performed by Mravinsky(Leningrad PO) and they sound fantastic. The Leningrad Orchestra has a brass section that comes across quite differently to what I'm used to in the majority of European and American orchestras.  Like howling wolves in the forest! Check out the first movement of Shostakovich's 10th if you have the inclination?
I have access to quite a lot of Mravinsky. What is the source of the disk you are listening to, if I may ask? I'd rather play the disk...

And my soviet box just arrived.  It's been so long since I got a new box that I am quite delighted.  It's hefty, and seems well put together.  I actually like the little individual sleeves quite a bit.  First impression is very positive, but won't have time to listen for a while. BTW, Japanese Amazon could give US Amazon some serious lessons in packing! Arrived in pristine condition.

Addendum: I thought I was playing disk 1, but it is disk 50.  1978 recording of Kogan playing LvB Violin Sonatas.  1978 recording.  Age wise, this disk is probably about in the middle, or a tad older than average.  It's excellent. Clear and fine. Not sota, but extremely close, warm and immediate sound, favoring the violin a bit over the piano--and a fantastic performance. Then I heard a cough.  It's a live recording.  I've got my fingers crossed...if the rest of the box is on this level, I'll be in heaven.  I'm so excited to check out the other disks it is a hindrance--it is making it harder to concentrate on this one, and it deserves full attention.
  There is no book or documentation of any kind, which is OK with me, really--I never look at that stuff after the first day. 
   The most disappointing thing about the box so far, for me, is that the music is not particularly Russian heavy. 
It's all good...

Moonfish

Glad you like it (so far).

- Yes, it is Russian artists all the way, but all the works were listed in the links I provided.

- Agree with Japanese packaging - nice touch compared to their European counterparts!  Sometimes packages from Amazon.de and Amazon.fr arrive as crumpled dried croissants six weeks later and at other times pristine two days later with express DHL. Go figure!

- Neat sleeves! Very different from what I'm used to. There is a little puny number on the top corner of each one. Not obvious. Some of the sleeves have color combinations (font/background) making them hard to read.  >:(

- The Mravinsky Shostakovich disc I listened to came from:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mravinsky-Reissue-Evgeny/dp/B000V07IVS
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Did Sutherland's Decca recitals go OOP?   ???

Anna Lappé

Mahlerian

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 24, 2018, 02:09:44 AM
BTW, Japanese Amazon could give US Amazon some serious lessons in packing! Arrived in pristine condition.

Japan places a premium on quality of service.  Once at Narita Airport, I was sitting by a McDonald's (didn't eat there), and one customer had apparently left without picking up one item.  A server behind the counter announced that it had been left behind (as would be done in the US), but after no one claimed it, she went around the whole area of the terminal looking for the person.  Never found out what happened after that, but the incident stuck with me.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 24, 2018, 08:40:38 AM
Glad you like it (so far)

- The Mravinsky Shostakovich disc I listened to came from:

I have it! Will play it tonight--at whiskey o'clock :D

Am playing the Petrov piano disks from the SOVIET INVASION box.  Recordings from '89, but sometimes a bit thin, especially on the lower end. Not nearly the eye-opener the Kogan violin disks have been, but I am still listening...

It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Moonie's pitch sold me on this :P

[asin]B079VRTWJS[/asin]
  I went to see if the Kubelik box had come in and got this on an impulse.
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 25, 2018, 02:30:56 AM

[asin]B079VRTWJS[/asin]
Good deal for $25 (you said?). Hmm, it is already released in Taiwan?

Anyways, I will always be here to support your purchases....  >:D
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 25, 2018, 07:49:38 AM
Good deal for $25 (you said?). Hmm, it is already released in Taiwan?

Anyways, I will always be here to support your purchases....  >:D

thanks for your support, Moonie. You warm the cockles of my heart :-* :-*
   And yeah it was right on the shelf, I didn't realize it wasn't supposed to be released for another month. Go figure.  Played two disks last night (Telemann and Vivaldi) and both were extremely satisfying, so a good beginning (I'd never heard of her til I saw your post).

By the way, played the Shosty 10 from the Mrav box. Thrilling! Also may explain some 20th century music that I can't stand: composers were trying to sound like that, and failing.
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 25, 2018, 02:28:52 PM
thanks for your support, Moonie. You warm the cockles of my heart :-* :-*
   And yeah it was right on the shelf, I didn't realize it wasn't supposed to be released for another month. Go figure.  Played two disks last night (Telemann and Vivaldi) and both were extremely satisfying, so a good beginning (I'd never heard of her til I saw your post).

By the way, played the Shosty 10 from the Mrav box. Thrilling! Also may explain some 20th century music that I can't stand: composers were trying to sound like that, and failing.

I'm looking forward to the Michala Petri - One has to support the Danish soloists!!!  ::)

The Mravinsky Shostakovich 10 is quite an experience - play it really loud so the the neighborhood cats gather around your house. It never fails....

Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 25, 2018, 02:30:56 AM

[asin]B079VRTWJS[/asin]

Al,
I think this might be you outside your neighborhood store considering another purchase? 
John Williams? Pollini? Szell? Berliner Philharmoniker? Kubelik? Solti? Westminster?

Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

:D :D
Not at all--because I have bought all those (most of them at my store)! I'm thinking more about the 20DVD concert boxes for $100 just now. 
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 26, 2018, 03:33:54 PM
:D :D
Not at all--because I have bought all those (most of them at my store)! I'm thinking more about the 20DVD concert boxes for $100 just now.

Al,
Are you familiar with these at all? Does your Taiwan store carry them?

I figure that this perhaps belongs better in the box blather thread....

VINTAGE BOXES:

A Cluytens Opera Collection.....   0:)

Page needs translation:
http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Classical-Collection-Boxed-Set_000000000088040/item_Cluytens-The-Collection-Vol-3-1948-1964-Opera-Recordings-56CD_6795737

They also carry Horenstein
http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Classical-Collection-Boxed-Set_000000000088040/item_Horenstein-The-Collection-1952-1964_7678617

as well as Knappertsbusch
http://img.hmv.co.jp/image/jacket/400/76/7/8/617.jpg#_ga=2.153752826.397571430.1527376390-473197038.1525580471

Anybody familiar with these?

What is the story with the Venias label? A pirate label?

I do have a few collections from them and the sound is quite good considering that they are mostly recordings from the 50s.
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Actually, I just responded in the other thread. I suspect they are like (or even another name for) Membran, using that European copyright-expiration rule.  Are they supercheap?
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 26, 2018, 04:00:02 PM
Actually, I just responded in the other thread. I suspect they are like (or even another name for) Membran, using that European copyright-expiration rule.  Are they supercheap?

I read somewhere that they are a Russian pirate, but I'm not sure. They are in the realm of USD 60-90+ depending on the number of cds (not including shipping).  I have a Markevich and an Ancerl boxes from them and the sound is better than Membran. By the way, Membran has improved immensely in sound quality over the last few years. Their newer sets are great for sampling vintage recordings.
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 26, 2018, 04:06:56 PM
I read somewhere that they are a Russian pirate, but I'm not sure. They are in the realm of USD 60-90+ depending on the number of cds (not including shipping).  I have a Markevich and an Ancerl boxes from them and the sound is better than Membran. By the way, Membran has improved immensely in sound quality over the last few years. Their newer sets are great for sampling vintage recordings.

I believe Membran's business model is based on a 50-year Copyright law. I suppose this means that their potential products' sound technology gets one year more modern every year...
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

This box is a real winner. About 20% of the way through it, and it far exceeds my expectations.

Turns out it really is close to this one:

Apparently both Brilliant and Yedang licensed all the music from "Pipeline music." Supposedly everything in the Yedang has been remastered from the original tapes in "96kHz/24bit"--which is probably more marketing than meaningful. However, it all sounds really good.  The 1950s Richter is no worse than the 70s or 80s recordings. The main instrument is always brilliantly clear, but generally there is little separation among backing instruments.

One unanticipated effect is that I have finally become a real Richter fan.  And Shostakovich.  I'd never heard his Violin Concertos.  Dark and powerful, as is the soloist.  Have you heard those, Moonfish?
It's all good...