Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on October 06, 2018, 08:41:18 PM
Sit tight. It might come yet.

You could be right, but this pattern feels awfully familiar...    Fortunately, I think I have some other things to listen to in the interim :P
It's all good...

Brian

The new Andre Previn RCA/Sony box intrigues me. Not sure he did anything badly, and many of his specialties are things I need in my collection (like Walton). And the only Previn I have is RVW and the Telarc Rachmaninov.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I got the pink thing out of self-storage.

Biffo

Quote from: Brian on October 07, 2018, 04:45:31 PM
The new Andre Previn RCA/Sony box intrigues me. Not sure he did anything badly, and many of his specialties are things I need in my collection (like Walton). And the only Previn I have is RVW and the Telarc Rachmaninov.

Like many of these big boxes it is superficially tempting but this one, like so many others, contains too much stuff I have already (mainly RVW ) and stuff I am not interested in. Also I have quite a lot of Previn on (EMI/Warner), LSO Live etc.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on October 07, 2018, 05:04:55 PM
I got the pink thing out of self-storage.

Baron, I'm quite confused. Is your main complaint that you have 144 disks of Artur Rubinstein, or that the box is Pink? Or that it is an offensively large amount of music?  I got my box when it went down to $125. I'd be happy to give you $125 and shipping fee if you'd like to mail it to me :-*
It's all good...

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 08, 2018, 05:50:10 AM
  Baron, I'm quite confused. Is your main complaint that you have 144 disks of Artur Rubinstein, or that the box is Pink? Or that it is an offensively large amount of music?  I got my box when it went down to $125. I'd be happy to give you $125 and shipping fee if you'd like to mail it to me :-*

On the contrary, it's banishment has ended. I have a notion to listen to it. :)

P.S., $125, what kind of a rube do you take me for. I wouldn't take less than $1000  :laugh:

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I found the receipt from the Pink Thing. Apparently I paid $96.43 to importcds.com in January 2014.

Ras

BACH 333 The New Complete Edition. Decca Classics 222cds + 1DVD    - price: 395£
This must be one of the biggest boxes ever released! :D

[asin]B07D2Y539K[/asin]

BACH 333 - The New Complete Edition
CD 1-48 SACRED CANTATAS Gardiner (c100), Suzuki (52), Koopman (12), Herreweghe (8), Kuijken (4), Coin (3) etc
CD 49-51 CHORALES Augsburger Domsingknaben/Vocalconsort Berlin/Kölner Akademie (ALL NEW RECORDINGS)
CD 52-72 MASSES/MOTETS/PASSIONS Gardiner (SJP1724, SMP, CO) Brüggen (MB-), Mortsensen (MB-), McCreesh (SMP) Suzuki (SJP1749) etc
CD 73-81 SECULAR CANTATAS Leonhardt, Goebel, Hogwood, Suzuki etc
CD 82-105 TRADITIONS 1: VOCAL Mengelberg & Scherchen (excs), Cantatas: Lehmann (2), RIstenpart (2), Richter (34 + 1958 SMP), Werner (3), Winschermann (4), Marriner (2), Norrington (3) + 3 x Arias discs (Schwarzkopf, Giebel, Krebs, Equiluz, Scholl, Hunt Lieberson etc)
CD 106-125 ORGAN WORKS Introduction; Free Works; Chorale Based Works Preston, Rübsam, Hurford, Koopman, Walcha, Weinberger, Bowyer etc plus 2 hours NEW RECORDINGS (Great "18" Chorales - Weimar versions/Chorale Preludes world premieres) by Christian Schmitt
CD 126-146 KEYBOARD WORKS Introduction; Works Rousset, Dreyfus, Verlet, Gilbert, Alessandrini, Suzuki, Leonhardt, Esfahani, Staier, Hantai etc plus 3 hours of NEW RECORDINGS by Justin Taylor
CD 147-158 PIANO [VERSIONS OF KEY WORKS] Perahia, Schiff, Hewitt, Brendel, Argerich, Freire, Grosvenor, Blechacz etc
CD 159-163 TRADITIONS 2: KEYBOARD 90 years of piano, harpsichord, clavichord and organ legends: Landowska, Schweitzer, Dart, Fischer, Lipatti, Tureck, Gould, Gulda etc
CD 164-174 ORCHESTRAL WORKS Goebel, Pinnock, Hogwood, Koopman, Dantone etc
CD 175-180 TRADITIONS 3: ORCHESTRAL Adolf Busch, Boyd Neel, Wenzinger, Harnoncourt, Antonini, Marriner, Dart, Abbado, Butt etc
CD 181-189 CHAMBER MUSIC Carmignola (NEW RECORDING OF SOLO VIOLIN WORKS], Watkin, Goebel, Sonnerie, Huggett, Hazelzet, Ter Linden etc
CD 190-193 CANONS & COUNTERPOINT Goebel, Aimard, Dantone, Moroney etc
CD 194-200 TRADITIONS 4: INSTRUMENTAL Casals, Fournier, Starker, Segovia, Bream, Williams, Holliger, Grumiaux, Milstein, Jansen, Hahn, Mutter, Mullova etc
CD 201-206 MUSIC BOOKS/SACRED SONGS W.F.Bach Klavierbüchlein, Anna Magdalena Notenbüchlein 1 & 2; Schemelli Gesangbuch
CD 207-214 BACH INTERACTIVE Bach as arranger, performer, family member, librarian: Reincken, Böhm, Pachelbel, Buxtehude, Vivaldi, Telemann, Pergolesi etc
CD 215-222 BACH AFTER BACH Bach as inspiration: transcribed/arranged from W.F. Bach to Busoni, Stokowski to Birtwistle, Jacques Loussier to Vikingur Olafsson
DVD: Bach: A Passionate Life. A 90-minute BBC film written and narrated by Sir John Eliot Gardiner
THE LARGEST, MOST COMPLETE, MOST AUTHORITATIVE & ENRICHED COMPOSER SET OF ALL TIME 333 years since the birth of Johann Sebastian Bach, the largest project of its kind in the history of recorded music is presented by Deutsche Grammophon in collaboration with Decca Classics, 30 other labels and the Leipzig Bach Archive. Bach 333 presents every known note from the great master and opens up his world – and his impact on our world – in a uniquely immersive way: through audio, visual, printed and online materials.

• Over 280 hours of music from 750 performers and 32 labels
• 10 hours of new recordings including 7 world premieres
• State-of-the-art historically informed performances (Cantatas by Gardiner, Suzuki etc)
• Over 50 CDs of alternative recordings
• Includes the latest research from the Leipzig Bach Archive's forthcoming BWV3 catalogue
• 16 CDs, "Bach Interactive" and "Bach after Bach", explore Bach's own influences and his unique impact on the world of music
• Limited, individually numbered edition

• 2 hardback books:
LIFE: Lavishly illustrated biography by Dorothea Schröder (new translation into English), with a Foreword by Sir John Eliot Gardiner; plus 13 new essays by leading Bach scholars
MUSIC: New essay by Christoph Wolff, 222 CDs of musical commentary by Nicholas Kenyon, many facsimiles and guide to online resources
• BWV/index book (each index with specific CD references): BWV numerical listing and chronology (informed by research for new BWV3 catalogue) Alphabetical work index Artist index
• 222 CDs in four compartments (Vocal, Keyboard, Orchestral and Instrumental)
• Colour-coded for easy navigation and ordered chronologically by genre
• 1 DVD: Bach: A Passionate Life. A 90-minute BBC film written and narrated by Sir John Eliot Gardiner

Decca Classics 222cds + 1DVD 4798000
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Ras on October 08, 2018, 11:16:40 AM
BACH 333 The New Complete Edition. Decca Classics 222cds + 1DVD    - price: 395£

Yikes, and the most expensive.

Ras

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on October 08, 2018, 05:53:30 AM
On the contrary, it's banishment has ended. I have a notion to listen to it. :)

P.S., $125, what kind of a rube do you take me for. I wouldn't take less than $1000  :laugh:

I'm glad to hear it. That's a box that rewards attention. I don't think I've ever played anything from that set that I didn't enjoy. 
It's all good...

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 08, 2018, 12:14:17 PM
I'm glad to hear it. That's a box that rewards attention. I don't think I've ever played anything from that set that I didn't enjoy.

Just looked inside. There is a big coffee table book in there with numerous fancy photographs. Cool. I'm liking it already.

Quote from: Ras on October 08, 2018, 11:22:14 AM
Yep! - I am NOT buying this one I tell you that much!

It is a remarkable set, in that it compiles recordings from many labels, although it is published by Decca.

The mix and match approach to performers doesn't appeal to me, so it's not a temptation (and I already have the Teldec and Hanssler Bach Editions). But if it makes money for them, all the better. Anything that delays their inevitable bankruptcy.

Brian

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on October 08, 2018, 12:27:17 PM
Just looked inside. There is a big cocktail table book in there with numerous fancy photographs. Cool. I'm liking it already.
Fun fact: the photo on the cover of that big book, which stares out at you whenever you open the box, makes Rubinstein look just like my (recently deceased) great aunt Maxine. I'm always a little bemused when I open it.

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on October 08, 2018, 12:32:00 PM
Fun fact: the photo on the cover of that big book, which stares out at you whenever you open the box, makes Rubinstein look just like my (recently deceased) great aunt Maxine. I'm always a little bemused when I open it.
Was it here at GMG we had the discussion about great aunt, grand aunt? I never hear grand aunt but a lady I know talks about her grand nephew. I never hear great nephew!

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on October 08, 2018, 04:58:33 PM
Was it here at GMG we had the discussion about great aunt, grand aunt? I never hear grand aunt but a lady I know talks about her grand nephew. I never hear great nephew!

I have a great nephew who is in his 20s. I can't wait for him to have a child so I can have a great-great nephew or niece. God willing, he/she will have little restraint and poor judgment, so I can have a great-great-great nephew/niece before I'm 70 8)
It's all good...

Madiel

Quote from: Ras on October 08, 2018, 11:16:40 AM

I'm sure there must be an elephant printed on it somewhere.

In white.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Ras

Quote from: Madiel on October 09, 2018, 01:33:52 AM
I'm sure there must be an elephant printed on it somewhere.

In white.

Argh, we all know you are just jealous because you have to pay for a nuclear driven hangar ship to get it to Australia...  :P

Madiel

Nej, det er ikke et problem.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

steve ridgway

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on October 08, 2018, 11:19:55 AM
Yikes, and the most expensive.

It's a reasonable cost per CD although Bach fans willing to buy that much would presumably already have loads of it. But how would you work out what to listen to - keep a spreadsheet with notes?