Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

They should have snuck it in as an "Easter Egg."

"Hmmm, Fur Elise, 28 minutes, I know his Beethoven is slow, but...."

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 20, 2019, 08:52:46 AM
They could have called it "solo piano recordings" (omitting "the") and it would have been implicit rather than explicit fraud. Not that I would ever have bought it, Barenboim's best solo piano work was on EMI back in the 60's.

Was that Liszt Sonata ever on CD? I only see vinyl when I look on Amazon.

Just seems to make sense that they wouldn't include it if he disowned it.

Ken B

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on February 20, 2019, 10:12:49 AM
Just seems to make sense that they wouldn't include it if he disowned it.
He might have refusal rights. Curzon refused to release dozens of things.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Ken B on February 20, 2019, 03:23:20 PM

I'm sure he did have refusal rights, but it was released once. It may be that they have the right to release it but acceded to his wishes as a courtesy. My only issue is the lack of transparency.

Madiel

The box doesn't say it's complete.

I can understand why people would infer it, but these boxes do tend to actually use the word "complete" if that's what they mean.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

CB45

Quote from: Ken B on February 20, 2019, 03:23:20 PM

Alas.....

Brian

Looks like DG's big Fournier and Kempff boxes are all gone. Ah well. Don't need to feed the CDCDCD beast...

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on May 16, 2019, 01:08:27 PM
Looks like DG's big Fournier and Kempff boxes are all gone. Ah well. Don't need to feed the CDCDCD beast...

Fournier's big box has been out of stock for a long time. I was tempted to get it out of reverence for Fournier, but really I already had most of the interesting stuff in individual releases and a prior box, and I think his later recordings are generally weak (Cello Sonatas accompanied by his unimpressive son on piano, classical and baroque trifles, etc).

Looks like the Kempff stuff is coming out again in those CD+blu ray boxes.

Ras

There is also a recording on Elatus of Liszt's piano sonata by Barenboim:

https://open.spotify.com/album/4hH7rxa1tTVlWDeO9DpnKl?si=ZxhxzNuyRuCUJ3aAfeviwA
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Pat B

Quote from: Ras on May 16, 2019, 10:50:17 PM
There is also a recording on Elatus of Liszt's piano sonata by Barenboim:

https://open.spotify.com/album/4hH7rxa1tTVlWDeO9DpnKl?si=ZxhxzNuyRuCUJ3aAfeviwA

That's probably the 1985 recording, originally on Erato. Warner bought Erato, and Elatus is a Warner imprint.

Ras

Quote from: Pat B on May 17, 2019, 02:08:38 PM
That's probably the 1985 recording, originally on Erato. Warner bought Erato, and Elatus is a Warner imprint.

I Think You are right Pat B
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Brian

Due to an amusing printing error, the back cover of Sony's Classic Andre Previn CD 27 - Villa-Lobos guitar concerto with Julian Bream - is a reproduction of a totally different LP featuring Bream and John Williams in guitar duets.

Mookalafalas

It bothers me that this thread does not come up in search, no matter what you do. Just as a test, I copy-and-pasted the thread name into the search box, and got "no matches".

Anyway, after a long hiatus, I came back to this box.

[asin]B079967KGY[/asin]

Apparently only available from Japan's Amazon. About $87 for 100 Cds.  It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good.  Sound is always fine. Not "historical".  Performers are top drawer.  Sometimes amazing conglomerations of stars.  Right now I am playing the Shostokovich PCs, played by Shostokovich himself. Where violin is required, it is David Oistrakh. It is such a treasure trove. 
It's all good...

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Mookalafalas on June 21, 2019, 01:31:58 AM
It bothers me that this thread does not come up in search, no matter what you do. Just as a test, I copy-and-pasted the thread name into the search box, and got "no matches".

Odd. I tried typing it in and copy/paste and it is the first one to come up on both tries. Are you doing the search from the main page (meaning the first page of the forum)? 
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mookalafalas

Do you mean from the home page? I don't think so. I tried it on whatever page I happened to be on at that time.
It's all good...

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Mookalafalas on June 21, 2019, 01:52:56 AM
Do you mean from the home page? I don't think so. I tried it on whatever page I happened to be on at that time.
Try it from the home page. I think it searches within that page (and subpages). So if you are in the wrong part of the forum, it might not come up.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mookalafalas

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 21, 2019, 01:57:39 AM
Try it from the home page. I think it searches within that page (and subpages). So if you are in the wrong part of the forum, it might not come up.

Thanks for the info. I've actually been frustrated a number of times with GMG's search.  If general searches only work from "the top of the tree" it will explain a lot.  I would complain at the backwardness of the digital architecture, but since they actually rejected my $ contribution when I tried to give one, I will just say "how interesting!"
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on June 21, 2019, 01:31:58 AM

Anyway, after a long hiatus, I came back to this box.

[asin]B079967KGY[/asin]

Apparently only available from Japan's Amazon. About $87 for 100 Cds.  It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good.  Sound is always fine. Not "historical".  Performers are top drawer.  Sometimes amazing conglomerations of stars.  Right now I am playing the Shostokovich PCs, played by Shostokovich himself. Where violin is required, it is David Oistrakh. It is such a treasure trove.

Evil tempter.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on June 21, 2019, 07:53:03 AM
Evil tempter.

Friendly recommender 8) 
     Friends don't let friends shun this box...
It's all good...

JBS

The temptation contains its own remedy. The Amazon link leads to "page not found".

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk