Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 06, 2020, 01:55:03 PM
Are you you using a freeware ripping application that retrieves track info from a free server? I'd so, you might try iTunes, which will access the real gracenote database.

Um... I'm playing the CDs and literally talking about the CD covers and the booklet. Everything I said was clearly about physical objects. Why does ripping come into it?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Had a dream that I was thinking about buying the Complete Beethoven Naxos box and looked down at the floor and there it was!

This may be what they call a "sign".

Todd

Quote from: Brian on September 13, 2020, 06:36:57 PM
Had a dream that I was thinking about buying the Complete Beethoven Naxos box and looked down at the floor and there it was!

A good sign.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Que

Quote from: Brian on September 13, 2020, 06:36:57 PM

You must have a lot of shelf space! Or a big garage...  :D

Q

Brian

Quote from: Que on September 14, 2020, 12:51:27 AM
You must have a lot of shelf space! Or a big garage...  :D

Q
the opposite sadly - no garage at all! The big Charles Munch and Robert Casadesus boxes live in a closet behind my shirts  ??? ???

staxomega

Samson Francois' new Erato Complete Recordings - does anyone know if there is any additional music on it compared to the old L'Edition Integrale? Or are the additional 18 CDs on the former due to the discs being shorter to preserve the original jacket theme?

Jo498

I have a hard time imagining they could have found even more music. The old integral included quite a bit of odds, ends, live recordings (I don't think I ever listened to the whole thing, I should make it a long term project like with the Rubinstein box....). But I don't know the answer.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

staxomega

Quote from: Jo498 on November 06, 2020, 07:02:38 AM
I have a hard time imagining they could have found even more music. The old integral included quite a bit of odds, ends, live recordings (I don't think I ever listened to the whole thing, I should make it a long term project like with the Rubinstein box....). But I don't know the answer.

From a classical thread on another hifi forum it looks like there are two concerts from 1969, 1970 and a DVD documentary. As much as I love looking at that old LP art I think I'll stream those concerts to see if I'm missing much but will more than likely stick with my old L'Edition Integrale.

Brian

Nobody has mentioned this recent release, probably a third string in the "Guitar Big Box" sweepstakes behind the Julian Bream and John Williams megaboxes. I just bought it, though. It revives the long out-of-print 60s-70s Erato series dedicated to guitar music, including a lot of (then-)contemporary works, played by a bunch of prizewinners from that era, many of whom are no longer especially famous. But when I saw that they hired Leo Brouwer to do three LPs, all included in the box - Brouwer Plays Brouwer, a disc of music by his fellow Cubans, and his transcriptions of Scarlatti - I more or less immediately hit purchase. Brouwer is one of our great living musical minds, in my eccentric opinion.

There is a bonus disc including obligatory Rodrigo concertos for no particular reason; it wasn't part of the original series. 25 CDs for $50, if any guitar or Brouwer megafans are out there. My copy should arrive in 2ish weeks, along with the new Szell/Warner and Hurwitz's recommendation of the Theodore Kuchar Brilliant box.

Brian

Seeing clearance sales on three EMI box sets featuring clarinetist Sabine Meyer in a variety of concertos and woodwind chamber music. The sets were released 2012-14 and are 5-7 discs each. It's tempting to grab them at the rock bottom prices - but then I get to thinking, does this mean that Warner will soon be releasing a Sabine Meyer Complete box set? It would be somewhere around 20 discs, totally manageable.

To buy the current boxes, or gamble on a future big one...  :-X 8)

JBS

Quote from: Brian on November 28, 2020, 06:18:01 AM
Seeing clearance sales on three EMI box sets featuring clarinetist Sabine Meyer in a variety of concertos and woodwind chamber music. The sets were released 2012-14 and are 5-7 discs each. It's tempting to grab them at the rock bottom prices - but then I get to thinking, does this mean that Warner will soon be releasing a Sabine Meyer Complete box set? It would be somewhere around 20 discs, totally manageable.

To buy the current boxes, or gamble on a future big one...  :-X 8)
I have the 2 concerto boxes and part of the 3rd box as a 3CD set devoted to Mozart. I suggest getting them now, if they do contain all her EMI recordings.
Plus you don't know that there will be a Complete Recordings set.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Jo498

Meyer's are recordings mostly from the 80s and 90s, if I am not mistaken? (It would have helped to post at least one link or picture...)  Meyer and friends recorded a lot of stuff probably only hardcore clarinet/woodwind enthusiasts will want, which reduces the attractivity of a complete box. So if the repertoire in the smaller boxes appeals to you, I'd get what you want. You also never know if the next step is complete box or gone forever (or 2nd copies).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

JBS

Quote from: Jo498 on November 28, 2020, 07:40:12 AM
Meyer's are recordings mostly from the 80s and 90s, if I am not mistaken? (It would have helped to post at least one link or picture...)  Meyer and friends recorded a lot of stuff probably only hardcore clarinet/woodwind enthusiasts will want, which reduces the attractivity of a complete box. So if the repertoire in the smaller boxes appeals to you, I'd get what you want. You also never know if the next step is complete box or gone forever (or 2nd copies).

This is the chamber music set.
[Asin]B00E6F12B6[/asin]

ETA
Which btw I just ordered. That way I won't be tempted by the Complete Recordings box.
The concertos in the other two sets seem fairly mainstream.  The most recherche composer included is probably Krommer.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Jo498

Who but a hardcore clarinet fan would want two full discs with Stamitz concerti?
The Harmoniemusik would be more appealing to me but I'd also say that about half of it is rather niche woodwind lover repertoire. It also seems to me that Meyer's recordings were well marketed and distributed at least in Germany, so it is usually not a problem finding older single issues on the 2nd hand market, if one is looking for a particular item.
- Blaise Pascal

MusicTurner

Quote from: Jo498 on November 28, 2020, 11:37:44 PM
Who but a hardcore clarinet fan would want two full discs with Stamitz concerti?
The Harmoniemusik would be more appealing to me but I'd also say that about half of it is rather niche woodwind lover repertoire. It also seems to me that Meyer's recordings were well marketed and distributed at least in Germany, so it is usually not a problem finding older single issues on the 2nd hand market, if one is looking for a particular item.

Stamitz certainly isn't among the most interesting of composers, but much to my surprise, I really enjoyed the clarinet concertos series on Naxos, partly available on Brilliant too, in their great value Clarinet Concertos box.

Brian

For Todd, me, and some other folks who preordered the complete Arthur Grumiaux big box, a warning in an Amazon.de customer review:

"discs 44&45 are exactly the same! Universal should do something about this!!!! Namely the Beethoven concerto with Colin Davis and Concertgebouw Orchestra is missing!!!!"

(44 is the Galliera/Philharmonia Beethoven, 45 is supposed to be the Davis/Concertgebouw)

Cato

I just came across this: it is high time!

SONY is releasing its Columbia archive, over 200 CD's, of the complete Eugene Ormandy - Philadelphia Orchestra performances.  120 CD's of the monaural recordings will be released first.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QRXT715/?tag=thesecdis-20

"...The Columbia Legacy, fully authorized by the Philadelphia Orchestra, is dedicated to Ormandy's mono recordings made for Columbia Records through 1957; his subsequent stereo albums beginning in 1958 number over 200.  While Columbia parent Sony has released various boxes of Ormandy material over the years, this is the first large-scale effort to chronologically collect all of his Columbia recordings with the Philadelphia Orchestra and Philadelphia "Pops" Orchestra in order.  (Some years back, Sony Japan surveyed a few dozen of his stereo LPs in remastered editions.)  The set is in "original album" format, and Sony has also retained the material from the original albums even when Ormandy wasn't conducting; hence, the inclusion here of a number of recordings conducted by Andre Kostelanetz, Bruno Walter, George Szell, and others.  (Note that the 1954 album of Schumann's Concerto in A Minor for Cello and Orchestra, Op. 129 featuring cellist Pablo Casals and the Prades Festival Orchestra is absent.  Ormandy conducted the orchestra but was uncredited on the LP.)

These seminal works represent the flowering of Ormandy's Philadelphia Sound, well-known for its lush strings.  While the advent of stereo was a boon for classical orchestras, bringing an even more lifelike sound and splendor into living rooms everywhere, these earlier interpretations are favored by some Ormandy enthusiasts for their energy and power. ..."

One of those would be Ormandy's performance with the Philadelphia Orchestra of Rachmaninoff's  Isle of the Dead.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on April 07, 2021, 05:22:06 PM
I just came across this: it is high time!

SONY is releasing its Columbia archive, over 200 CD's, of the complete Eugene Ormandy - Philadelphia Orchestra performances.  120 CD's of the monaural recordings will be released first.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QRXT715/?tag=thesecdis-20

One of those would be Ormandy's performance with the Philadelphia Orchestra of Rachmaninoff's  Isle of the Dead.

Sacrée vache!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

staxomega

Quote from: Brian on April 07, 2021, 12:44:47 PM
For Todd, me, and some other folks who preordered the complete Arthur Grumiaux big box, a warning in an Amazon.de customer review:

"discs 44&45 are exactly the same! Universal should do something about this!!!! Namely the Beethoven concerto with Colin Davis and Concertgebouw Orchestra is missing!!!!"

(44 is the Galliera/Philharmonia Beethoven, 45 is supposed to be the Davis/Concertgebouw)

Yes indeed, there is a discussion about it on another hifi forum. The latest news is Universal Music have acknowledged the problem so that is (hopefully) a good sign.

I'm really pleased with this box set so far with the performances I haven't heard before from Grumiaux.

staxomega

Regarding the Grumiaux box, I started a thread on another board as there were a bunch of us there that bought it: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/arthur-grumiaux-complete-philips-recordings-program-for-replacement-cd-45.1082991/