Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EigenUser

You know, I just realized something. John is going to be so confused upon his (inevitable :)) glorious return to classical music. Since he left, Ken claims to like some Ravel, I'm considering getting a Boulez box set and occasionally listening to Stockhausen...  :laugh:

Next, I'll probably be listening to Mozart!!!   ???
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on May 04, 2014, 05:01:13 AM
You know, I just realized something. John is going to be so confused upon his (inevitable :)) glorious return to classical music. Since he left, Ken claims to like some Ravel, I'm considering getting a Boulez box set and occasionally listening to Stockhausen...  :laugh:

1 John will never return
2 you SHOULD listen to Mozart!
:P

>:D

Moonfish

Quote from: EigenUser on May 04, 2014, 05:01:13 AM

You guys are just doing that to lure John back in to the fold of classical music!   >:D   However, the Genesis of Pink Floyd fever is hard to overcome.....
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on May 04, 2014, 01:13:19 PM
You guys are just doing that to lure John back in to the fold of classical music!   >:D   However, the Genesis of Pink Floyd fever is hard to overcome.....
Nope. John is gone. Long gone John (from Bowling Green).

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on May 04, 2014, 01:34:24 PM
Nope. John is gone. Long gone John (from Bowling Green).

Lure him to Stockhausen....      >:D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on May 04, 2014, 01:37:42 PM
Lure him to Stockhausen....      >:D
I said he was gone, not deaf.

;D

EigenUser

I might just ask for scores instead. You know that the study score for Messiaen's "Turangalila-Symphonie" is $205?!?! That's outrageous, and I've seen (and paid for) some expensive scores. I'm thinking I'll go with "Et Exspecto Resurrectionem Mortuorum", which is only a fraction of that.

On the topic of ridiculous prices, I see that individual sections of his opera "Saint Francois d'Assise" range from $350-$500. So, the complete opera would probably cost someone about $4000 just to have the study scores!
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on May 06, 2014, 04:39:53 PM
I might just ask for scores instead. You know that the study score for Messiaen's "Turangalila-Symphonie" is $205?!?! That's outrageous, and I've seen (and paid for) some expensive scores. I'm thinking I'll go with "Et Exspecto Resurrectionem Mortuorum", which is only a fraction of that.

On the topic of ridiculous prices, I see that individual sections of his opera "Saint Francois d'Assise" range from $350-$500. So, the complete opera would probably cost someone about $4000 just to have the study scores!
I thought you were eyeing the Schumann box ...

Doverpublications.com publishes a lot of scores cheap. Probably not Messiaen though.

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on May 06, 2014, 04:48:36 PM
I thought you were eyeing the Schumann box ...

Doverpublications.com publishes a lot of scores cheap. Probably not Messiaen though.
I was eyeing the Schumann box until I eyed the price :-\ . Dover scores are pretty good for the price, though the print quality is usually average at best. I have three Debussy scores and Holst's "The Planets". I do like that they publish full size scores because I hate those little study scores that you have to squint to read. They basically reprint first editions once they enter public domain in all countries. Messiaen died in 1992, so he'll be protected for quite a while.

Do you collect scores, too?

amw

Quote from: EigenUser on May 06, 2014, 04:39:53 PM
I might just ask for scores instead. You know that the study score for Messiaen's "Turangalila-Symphonie" is $205?!?! That's outrageous, and I've seen (and paid for) some expensive scores.

I can send you a PDF of the score if you want...

EigenUser

Quote from: amw on May 06, 2014, 06:21:38 PM
I can send you a PDF of the score if you want...
I appreciate the offer! I actually already have it, along with "Et Exspecto..." It might sound strange to some, but I prefer to get hard-copies just to satisfy my OCD for completeness. I guess it's like listening via YouTube versus buying a CD. Much better quality, something you can hold, etc.

kishnevi

Quote from: EigenUser on May 06, 2014, 06:27:09 PM
I appreciate the offer! I actually already have it, along with "Et Exspecto..." It might sound strange to some, but I prefer to get hard-copies just to satisfy my OCD for completeness. I guess it's like listening via YouTube versus buying a CD. Much better quality, something you can hold, etc.

The old completeness excuse. 
Just remember that here at GMG, people who don't have some sort of OCD regarding music are the weirdos  >:D :P

Brian

Quote from: EigenUser on May 06, 2014, 06:27:09 PM

Might want to find out if you can rig your printer, or your office's/library's printer, with the proper length of paper and print off the PDF.

Moonfish

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 06, 2014, 06:46:40 PM
The old completeness excuse. 
Just remember that here at GMG, people who don't have some sort of OCD regarding music are the weirdos  >:D :P

There is truth to that....   :-[
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

In a different thread (I think) Moonfish asked about the difference between this box:

[asin]B00JJONQKY[/asin] (Much cheaper from European Amz)

and the new DG box of her stuff.
[asin]B00J86QW9A[/asin]

Are there any opinions out there? Anybody familiar with both "eras" of her career (apparently the Erato period was first, but has been "edited out" of her bio on Amazon >:D.  DG seems to insist on that--or at least I've seen it in other artists who switched late to DG).
It's all good...

jochanaan

Well, in a few years everything will be online anyway.  It'll be black market time for LPs and even CDs...
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Todd

Quote from: jochanaan on May 14, 2014, 09:30:32 AM
Well, in a few years everything will be online anyway.  It'll be black market time for LPs and even CDs...

Psst, buddy, you wanna buy some sealed Mozart symphonies?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

jochanaan

Quote from: Todd on May 14, 2014, 09:38:22 AM

Psst, buddy, you wanna buy some sealed Mozart symphonies?
That's the way of it. :blank:
Imagination + discipline = creativity

bigshot

One disadvantage to preordering box sets is that the tags aren't nailed down in Gracenote yet. I've been waiting three weeks for someone to upload tags for the Hyperion CPE Bach complete keyboard works, and I don't know if the bargain 50 CD Russian box will ever get tagged.

The new erato

Quote from: bigshot on May 15, 2014, 09:44:37 AM
One disadvantage to preordering box sets is that the tags aren't nailed down in Gracenote yet. I've been waiting three weeks for someone to upload tags for the Hyperion CPE Bach complete keyboard works, and I don't know if the bargain 50 CD Russian box will ever get tagged.
Hyperion?