Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigshot

Sorry, I misspoke. It's Hannsler. Ann Marija Markovina

bigshot

Bargain Alert! 70 CD Horowitz Complete Jacket Collection 99 euro ($135 shipped to the US)

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B002P3J3BW/

Ken B

Quote from: bigshot on May 17, 2014, 11:05:29 AM
Bargain Alert! 70 CD Horowitz Complete Jacket Collection 99 euro ($135 shipped to the US)

Oooooo. Hmmmm.
Anyone know how much of that set is stereo and how much mono?

Ken B

Mookalafalas

Quote from: bigshot on May 17, 2014, 11:05:29 AM

Damn. That is cheap. It's selling for $800 and more on ebay...and irritating. My L'oiseau box FINALLY just shipped from Germany (ordered 6 weeks ago, and Moonie and Ken already have theirs) and I just ordered the Karajan. The last thing I want is 3 giant boxes arriving simultaneously.  Not only will it be it dangerous to my conjugal happiness, but to my appreciation of the boxes. 2 will undoubtedly be relegated to dust collecting shelf-life.  There are only so many hours in a day...
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 17, 2014, 05:51:12 PM
  Damn. That is cheap. It's selling for $800 and more on ebay...and irritating. My L'oiseau box FINALLY just shipped from Germany (ordered 6 weeks ago, and Moonie and Ken already have theirs) and I just ordered the Karajan. The last thing I want is 3 giant boxes arriving simultaneously.  Not only will it be it dangerous to my conjugal happiness, but to my appreciation of the boxes. 2 will undoubtedly be relegated to dust collecting shelf-life.  There are only so many hours in a day...
An easy pass for me. Mostly mono. It's like the Rubinstein box. I have about 30 discs of him in stereo. I'll take Lortie or Perahia or Demidenko or ... in digital.
Perahia plays better anyway.

bigshot

With my 5:1 system and DSP, mono isn't a problem. Horowitz in the 40s and before was  real firecracker.

This preorder price is a momentary drop. I think Baklava. It will most likely go back up, probably to $175 or so.

Ken B

Quote from: bigshot on May 17, 2014, 08:38:14 PM

This preorder price is a momentary drop. I think Baklava. It will most likely go back up, probably to $175 or so.
Yes. Hesitation now can lead to a lifetime of regret. I could have bought google at $1.

bigshot

Perahia and Horowitz are just about as far apart stylistically as you can get.

Mookalafalas

The HvK 1960s box was just dropped off by the postman.  It's nice to have.  The box is just like the Korean Giulini, and the cd sleeves are glossy pic and a bit more substantial feeling than most.  I'll take out the cds and put the actual box in storage.  I'm on disk 30 of the Barock box right now, and love it so much I'm not sure when I'll actually get to serious work on the HvK.  I'm expecting the Hogwood baroque box any minute--tracking says it came into the country on Saturday (it's Monday morning here in Taiwan right now). 
  What a glorious era we live in!
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 25, 2014, 04:48:40 PM
The HvK 1960s box was just dropped off by the postman.  It's nice to have.  The box is just like the Korean Giulini, and the cd sleeves are glossy pic and a bit more substantial feeling than most.  I'll take out the cds and put the actual box in storage.  I'm on disk 30 of the Barock box right now, and love it so much I'm not sure when I'll actually get to serious work on the HvK.  I'm expecting the Hogwood baroque box any minute--tracking says it came into the country on Saturday (it's Monday morning here in Taiwan right now). 
  What a glorious era we live in!

Which Baroque box are you traveling through at the moment?   :)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 25, 2014, 05:43:13 PM
Which Baroque box are you traveling through at the moment?   :)

[asin]B001CBX2RO[/asin] This one.  Some are not absolute top drawer, but all are very good (so far).

I just finished this baby about 2 weeks ago. It's really wonderful, IMHO.  Not all baroque, but heavily weighted in that direction.
[asin]B00EDXIIF4[/asin]

I've yet to play a single disc from this:
[asin]B008BP1LS6[/asin] but I've no doubts about how good it's going to be. 

By the way, I'm playing the HvK now.  Since I'm so baroque happy these days, I'm playing his earlier stuff. Listening to HvK Handel now. I have to admit...I love it :D
     It really does suffer from giganticism...even the harpsichord sounds huge and powerful.  How can you make a harpsichord sound huge and powerful?! :o :o
   [New track--now everything is dripping with romanticism--sounds like Viennese Rachmaninoff (or did at the beginning).  This may be the perfect antidote to my HIP mania...]
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 17, 2014, 05:51:12 PM

Some men hide from their wives women, or gambling, or drugs, or drinking. We hide cost efficient bulk purchases of glorious music

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on May 25, 2014, 09:27:41 PM
Some men hide from their wives women, or gambling, or drugs, or drinking. We hide cost efficient bulk purchases of glorious music.

Ha ha ha!  :D :D :D ;) ;D ;D ;D :laugh:
It classifies as a classic CDCDCD proverb, Ken!

I think all the boxes blend into some type of "sameness" to my wife so as long as I keep moving the piles back and forth she does not notice.  Now, the boxes at the door - that is a different matter....    ???
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 25, 2014, 09:43:10 PM

I think all the boxes blend into some type of "sameness" to my wife so as long as I keep moving the piles back and forth she does not notice.  Now, the boxes at the door - that is a different matter....    ???

Yes, this is a critical point! My Hogwood box finally arrived about 2 minutes ago.  I need another long narrow box for all the CDs.  They become both nondescript and compact when stored that way. And of course I need to get the tell-tale Amazon boxes out of here. That accomplished, I may have no choice but to pounce upon the Horowitz box...
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 25, 2014, 10:24:40 PM
  Yes, this is a critical point! My Hogwood box finally arrived about 2 minutes ago.  I need another long narrow box for all the CDs.  They become both nondescript and compact when stored that way. And of course I need to get the tell-tale Amazon boxes out of here. That accomplished, I may have no choice but to pounce upon the Horowitz box...

Ah, it sounds like you are having loads of fun!!!    ;D
Can you blast music without disturbing the rest of the family or is it an everybody-has-to-listen deal if everybody is home?
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on May 25, 2014, 10:39:42 PM
Ah, it sounds like you are having loads of fun!!!    ;D
Can you blast music without disturbing the rest of the family or is it an everybody-has-to-listen deal if everybody is home?

I have a study on the second floor, so I can play it quite loudly in the evening.  I do a lot of listening during the day (when no one else is home), however, and can crank it out pretty loudly.  The neighbors complained once (from about 3 doors down).  One night the police came ::)  I have a 7.1 speaker surround system in a mid-sized room, so I don't need to turn it up that loud for it to sound...adequate.
   Listening to HvK's Brahm's 3.  Not playing this loudly would be a sin. 
It's all good...

bigshot

Before I bought my house I checked out the neighborhood for sensitivity to loud music.

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on May 25, 2014, 10:55:39 PM
  I have a study on the second floor, so I can play it quite loudly in the evening.  I do a lot of listening during the day (when no one else is home), however, and can crank it out pretty loudly.  The neighbors complained once (from about 3 doors down).  One night the police came ::)  I have a 7.1 speaker surround system in a mid-sized room, so I don't need to turn it up that loud for it to sound...adequate.
   Listening to HvK's Brahm's 3.  Not playing this loudly would be a sin.

Another good reason not to play Stockhausen. Hard to convince a cop you are doing it for enjoyment, not because you're stoned or to bug the nighbours.  :)