Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

I referred to the box pictured in message 203. There are no film scores included. You probably mean another box, but I am not sure which one.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Moonfish

Quote from: Jo498 on September 22, 2014, 09:47:19 AM
I referred to the box pictured in message 203. There are no film scores included. You probably mean another box, but I am not sure which one.

I think Bigshot is referring to the Phase 4 set:

[asin] B00LP298NC[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on August 30, 2014, 10:02:23 AM
Sseonn....Seoooon.....Seon......Seonnnn....Seeeoooooonnnnn

OK. I saw it in my store. I picked it up. I held it. Perhaps caressed it a little.  Surreptitiously used my sleeve to wipe off a little of my own drool that had accidentally found its way onto the cellophane.  It is certainly a handsome box.  I'm still confident the price will fall drastically, but that could take months...
It's all good...

The new erato

I ordered it for £ 83 (VAT deducted) at amazon.uk when it first appeared (and it will ship for that price in a couple of days), but I see that price has since nearly doubled.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: The new erato on September 23, 2014, 01:10:52 PM
I ordered it for £ 83 (VAT deducted) at amazon.uk when it first appeared (and it will ship for that price in a couple of days), but I see that price has since nearly doubled.

It's $144 at my bricks-and-mortar shop here in Taiwan, and the stuff here is generally higher than Amazon.  Prices tend to bounce around at first, and then start heading southward.  I have just over 20 SEON discs right now, from 4 boxes I bought: the big Vivarte, a little Vivarte, the Baroque Masterpieces box, and a Leonhardt box.  They were the cheapest I ever bought--per disc prices of an average of about $1.20.  Based on that, I'd say the end price for the SEON will be in the $100 range, but I have no idea how long it will take it to get there. 
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on September 23, 2014, 03:50:19 PM
  It's $144 at my bricks-and-mortar shop here in Taiwan, and the stuff here is generally higher than Amazon.  Prices tend to bounce around at first, and then start heading southward.  I have just over 20 SEON discs right now, from 4 boxes I bought: the big Vivarte, a little Vivarte, the Baroque Masterpieces box, and a Leonhardt box.  They were the cheapest I ever bought--per disc prices of an average of about $1.20.  Based on that, I'd say the end price for the SEON will be in the $100 range, but I have no idea how long it will take it to get there.
I have at least 35 of them, so I will be very patient.

Mookalafalas

I recently got paid for a lot of proofreading work (this is "gravy" work, on top of my job and my two part time jobs). I paid off a giant credit card bill and have a surprising amount left over.  Now a couple of boxes are calling my name:

[asin]B00I595C6U[/asin]

[asin]B00DYQLEZM[/asin]

About 85% of each of these would be new to me.  I've had the second DG box for ages, and finally unwrapped it (I was kind of hoping it would go opp and I'd make a killing on ebay).  It's a real joy.  and I want more joy >:D >:D
   Any thoughts?
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: The new erato on September 27, 2014, 01:37:54 AM
Why deny oneself some joy?
:D I rarely deny myself joy.  But I'm afraid I wasn't clear--thoughts about the boxes.  As in good, bad, must have, meh...
   You know, box blather.
It's all good...

The new erato

Quote from: Baklavaboy on September 27, 2014, 02:16:06 AM
:D I rarely deny myself joy.  But I'm afraid I wasn't clear--thoughts about the boxes.  As in good, bad, must have, meh...
   You know, box blather.
So what you really want is us to push you over the cliff? I don't do that to a fellow sufferer.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: The new erato on September 27, 2014, 02:18:20 AM
So what you really want is us to push you over the cliff? I don't do that to a fellow sufferer.

No, that's the CDCDCD thread ::)
       No one hangs out over there anymore.  It had a negative vibe built into the name.
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on September 27, 2014, 01:27:08 AM
I recently got paid for a lot of proofreading work (this is "gravy" work, on top of my job and my two part time jobs). I paid off a giant credit card bill and have a surprising amount left over.  Now a couple of boxes are calling my name:

[asin]B00I595C6U[/asin]

[asin]B00DYQLEZM[/asin]

About 85% of each of these would be new to me.  I've had the second DG box for ages, and finally unwrapped it (I was kind of hoping it would go opp and I'd make a killing on ebay).  It's a real joy.  and I want more joy >:D >:D
   Any thoughts?

If you have low duplication go for it.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on September 27, 2014, 06:08:01 AM
If you have low duplication go for it.

Dg seems to have a tendency to duplicate quite a bit....   :'( :'(
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

kishnevi

Quote from: Moonfish on September 27, 2014, 11:27:49 AM
Dg seems to have a tendency to duplicate quite a bit....   :'( :'(
I have five of the CDs shown on the first box, so that is 10% before I even see the contents listing.  And Thielemann's Beethoven does not qualify as a great recording IMO (I have the full set).

Wakefield

Quote from: Baklavaboy on September 27, 2014, 01:27:08 AM

[asin]B00DYQLEZM[/asin]

I don't know if this makes any sense for you, but I have done some extensive research about this box and the "Wiener Philharmoniker Symphony Edition" (quite a similar concept) looks (generally speaking) as a better option, although unfortunately it's also way more expensive.

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Gordo on September 27, 2014, 12:03:27 PM
I don't know if this makes any sense for you, but I have done some extensive research about this box and the "Wiener Philharmoniker Symphony Edition" (quite a similar concept) looks (generally speaking) as a better option, although unfortunately it's also way more expensive.

Gordo, thanks for the input.  I dismissed that box immediately when it came out thinking "I hardly need more of this repertoire", but looking at it again now, it is clear these really are brilliant choices, and I only have a couple of the actual performances. 

BTW, how are you enjoying that SEON box? I have been playing the Hotterere (sp?) disc a lot on my bedroom stereo (from another box).  I don't have anything else like that.  I really like that weird, droning instrument.  Are you finding many things in there that you hadn't really been aware of, but find you are liking?
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on September 27, 2014, 06:01:30 PM
Gordo, thanks for the input.  I dismissed that box immediately when it came out thinking "I hardly need more of this repertoire", but looking at it again now, it is clear these really are brilliant choices, and I only have a couple of the actual performances. 

BTW, how are you enjoying that SEON box? I have been playing the Hotterere (sp?) disc a lot on my bedroom stereo (from another box).  I don't have anything else like that.  I really like that weird, droning instrument.  Are you finding many things in there that you hadn't really been aware of, but find you are liking?

Ha ha! I happened to listen to Hottetere as well earlier today  and must admit that the instrument in the first piece took me by surprise!   ::)
Anna Lappé

Wakefield

Quote from: Baklavaboy on September 27, 2014, 06:01:30 PM

That Hotteterre is beautiful, especially, as you say, because of the sound of the musette.

Yes, I'm enjoying a lot: but some disclosure is needed. To me all of these recordings are especial, so I listen to them with a sort of previous fervor. It's because more than, for instance, Teldec or Vivarte my true introduction to the HIP world was this label in the second part of the nineties, when I discovered here in Santiago (not the better place in the world to find music played on period instruments) several of these disks released under the Erichson's label. Therefore, even before the box I already had around 30 Seon disks, not to mention those re-released on Sony, DHM and so.

I'm enjoying especially some disks totally OOP as Leonhardt playing Mozart (keyboard sonatas and violin sonatas) and revisiting a lot of old friends.

A must-have, no doubt.  :)   

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Gordo on September 28, 2014, 12:36:51 PM
That Hotteterre is beautiful, especially, as you say, because of the sound of the musette.

Yes, I'm enjoying a lot: but some disclosure is needed. To me all of these recordings are especial, so I listen to them with a sort of previous fervor. It's because more than, for instance, Teldec or Vivarte my true introduction to the HIP world was this label in the second part of the nineties, when I discovered here in Santiago (not the better place in the world to find music played on period instruments) several of these disks released under the Erichson's label. Therefore, even before the box I already had around 30 Seon disks, not to mention those re-released on Sony, DHM and so.

I'm enjoying especially some disks totally OOP as Leonhardt playing Mozart (keyboard sonatas and violin sonatas) and revisiting a lot of old friends.
A must-have, no doubt.  :)   

I'm glad to hear it.  I'll have it one day  8)

By the way, I had an interesting experience with the Berlin Philharmoniker box you recommended.  My regular shop had sold their's, but I thought I had seen it in another shop.  I went over there, and not only did they have it, but it was quite cheap ($100).  That's when it got strange. When I went to buy it, the owner gave it to me for 50% off.  I think he knows how much I spend at his competition ;D   Anyway, I got it for a song, and am anticipating many hours of enjoyment.  Apparently God wanted me to have that box, and you served as her agent--the good angel pointing me in its direction ;) Many thanks.
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on September 29, 2014, 12:15:01 AM
I'm glad to hear it.  I'll have it one day  8)

By the way, I had an interesting experience with the Berlin Philharmoniker box you recommended.  My regular shop had sold their's, but I thought I had seen it in another shop.  I went over there, and not only did they have it, but it was quite cheap ($100).  That's when it got strange. When I went to buy it, the owner gave it to me for 50% off.  I think he knows how much I spend at his competition ;D   Anyway, I got it for a song, and am anticipating many hours of enjoyment.  Apparently God wanted me to have that box, and you served as her agent--the good angel pointing me in its direction ;) Many thanks.

Ah, such a deal! True serendipity!!!!    :)
Anna Lappé