Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

Quote from: Baklavaboy on September 29, 2014, 12:15:01 AM
I'm glad to hear it.  I'll have it one day  8)

By the way, I had an interesting experience with the Berlin Philharmoniker box you recommended.  My regular shop had sold their's, but I thought I had seen it in another shop.  I went over there, and not only did they have it, but it was quite cheap ($100).  That's when it got strange. When I went to buy it, the owner gave it to me for 50% off.  I think he knows how much I spend at his competition ;D   Anyway, I got it for a song, and am anticipating many hours of enjoyment.  Apparently God wanted me to have that box, and you served as her agent--the good angel pointing me in its direction ;) Many thanks.

It's amazing! Congratulations. It's a bit less than a half of the best price I have seen, namely Import CDs, but they don't ship this box internationally. :(
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on September 29, 2014, 12:15:01 AM
I'm glad to hear it.  I'll have it one day  8)

By the way, I had an interesting experience with the Berlin Philharmoniker box you recommended.  My regular shop had sold their's, but I thought I had seen it in another shop.  I went over there, and not only did they have it, but it was quite cheap ($100).  That's when it got strange. When I went to buy it, the owner gave it to me for 50% off.  I think he knows how much I spend at his competition ;D   Anyway, I got it for a song, and am anticipating many hours of enjoyment.  Apparently God wanted me to have that box, and you served as her agent--the good angel pointing me in its direction ;) Many thanks.
Moral: Always listen to Ken B and Moonfish. Always.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on September 29, 2014, 08:35:52 AM
Moral: Always listen to Ken B and Moonfish. Always.

:-\It looks to me the moral was "listen to Gordo". 
         By the way, I had to reorganize my discs so they would all be in one place.  I realized something. I have a lot of CDs.  Like a whole helluva lot.  Buying boxes is economical, and generally sensible, but your collection does grow in an insane way.  I saw so much that I have that I reeeallly want to listen to.  And it will be impossible because there are just so many hours in a day.  Right now I should go spend some time with my wife (she had a bad day), but it's really hard to tear myself away from all this awesome music.  I'm listening to Berg right now. I have no idea what is going on, but it's like watching a really weird movie--you find yourself watching just because you want to know how it's going to come out..
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

OK. It is my birthday, and I treated myself to this for $78.
[asin] B00I595C6U[/asin]

It turns out I have only 2 of the discs, and parts of 2 others.  A lot of odd stuff--Chick Corea and Bobbie McFerrin's Mozart album, Kathleen Battle and Wynton Marsalis doing baroque, and then rock-solid classic stuff like Pablo Casals and Rudollf Serkin doing Beethoven Cello/Piano sonatas.  Thee are enough discs by people like Hahn and Volodos (+ 11 DHM discs) that if a lot of the wild cards ( Frank Peter Zimmerman plays Busoni Violin concerto, Italian Concertos by Boldoczki, Sol Gabetta's "Works for Cello") don't pan out I still won't feel gypped.  I've always wanted to hear Fritz Wunderlich, and Kissin's Chopin. I'm reasonably stoked.
   The sleeves are wonderfully solid, with the names clearly printed on the spine.  That's a plus as I can put them in my book shelf.  I've been a bit bummed with how shamefully shoddy the sleeves are in some otherwise reputable boxes. 
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on October 05, 2014, 07:39:26 AM
OK. It is my birthday, and I treated myself to this for $78.
[asin] B00I595C6U[/asin]

It turns out I have only 2 of the discs, and parts of 2 others.  A lot of odd stuff--Chick Corea and Bobbie McFerrin's Mozart album, Kathleen Battle and Wynton Marsalis doing baroque, and then rock-solid classic stuff like Pablo Casals and Rudollf Serkin doing Beethoven Cello/Piano sonatas.  Thee are enough discs by people like Hahn and Volodos (+ 11 DHM discs) that if a lot of the wild cards ( Frank Peter Zimmerman plays Busoni Violin concerto, Italian Concertos by Boldoczki, Sol Gabetta's "Works for Cello") don't pan out I still won't feel gypped.  I've always wanted to hear Fritz Wunderlich, and Kissin's Chopin. I'm reasonably stoked.
   The sleeves are wonderfully solid, with the names clearly printed on the spine.  That's a plus as I can put them in my book shelf.  I've been a bit bummed with how shamefully shoddy the sleeves are in some otherwise reputable boxes.

Happy Birthday Al!

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on October 05, 2014, 07:44:52 AM
Happy Birthday Al!

Thanks, Ken :)
    It started out a bit sketchy (babysitting all day), but ended with a terrific buffet (one with Hagen Dazs!), and a bit of a CD orgy. 
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on October 05, 2014, 07:53:56 AM
a bit of a CD orgy.
I've never tried cross dressing myself. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

>:D :laugh:

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on October 05, 2014, 08:34:58 AM
I've never tried cross dressing myself. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

>:D :laugh:

You should! (Although you might not look as alluring as I do in a french negligee :-*). I forgot to mention, after the bacchanalia (and a hot shower), I went and bought some music.
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Finally ordered this.

It's long been my holy grail. I'm not really sure why, although I do love those less-mainstream big-boy conductors like Scherchen, Knappersbusch, Monteaux, etc.  Or maybe I just like the idea of them, and the cool sleeves and wacky artwork. 
   It's available for a bout $200 from Amazon.jp   
     Before I couldn't order from them, but now I can.
It's all good...

ritter

I can't see the cover of the box you mention, Baklavaboy, but the text of your post has me intrigued.  :)  What have you ordered from Japan???

Mookalafalas

Quote from: ritter on October 11, 2014, 05:55:11 AM
I can't see the cover of the box you mention, Baklavaboy, but the text of your post has me intrigued.  :)  What have you ordered from Japan???

Fixed ;)  Sorry about that. I had an extra bracket in there. 
  I have the chamber box, and the smaller westminster box, and really like both.  This has surprisingly little overlap.
It's all good...

ritter

Quote from: Baklavaboy on October 11, 2014, 06:41:16 AM
  I have the chamber box, and the smaller westminster box, and really like both.  This has surprisingly little overlap.
Thanks...I saw it a a very attractive price in Brussels about a year ago and, silly of me, didn't buy it (I did buy the Korean Georg Szell, dirt cheap at the same place).

Hope you enjoy it! There certainly is loads of stuff in that box that looks interesting!  :)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: ritter on October 11, 2014, 06:54:23 AM
Thanks...I saw it a a very attractive price in Brussels about a year ago and, silly of me, didn't buy it (I did buy the Korean Georg Szell, dirt cheap at the same place).

Hope you enjoy it! There certainly is loads of stuff in that box that looks interesting!  :)

I live in Taiwan, so some of the Korean and Japan-only stuff shows up here cheap.  I got the Szell box too, and the big Giulini, although for that one it turns out it would have been a hair cheaper to get the individual super-cheap boxes that came out later (although the Korean set has nice, heavy-gloss sleeves). 
   Anyway, I do intend to enjoy it :D  The Westminster stuff is fun because you get somewhat historical readings (a lot of conductors who swung their first baton in the 19th century, or close to it) in very satisfactory sound.
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on October 11, 2014, 06:41:16 AM

I have both of those as well and very much enjoy them. I could kick myself for not picking up the orchestral box at the same time as the chamber set, but "C'est la vie".
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on October 11, 2014, 05:47:31 AM
Finally ordered this.

It's long been my holy grail. I'm not really sure why, although I do love those less-mainstream big-boy conductors like Scherchen, Knappersbusch, Monteaux, etc.  Or maybe I just like the idea of them, and the cool sleeves and wacky artwork. 
   It's available for a bout $200 from Amazon.jp   
     Before I couldn't order from them, but now I can.

Hmm, Amazon.jp!  Now you are leading me into the Asian box sets with vengeance... Temptations, temptation....  >:D :'( >:D :'(
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on October 11, 2014, 07:40:35 AM
I have both of those as well and very much enjoy them. I could kick myself for not picking up the orchestral box at the same time as the chamber set, but "C'est la vie".

Me too! Of course, at the time I bought the Chamber set it was just a shot in the dark for me. I had no idea what "Westminster" was, but it was a very handsome box and appealed to me for some reason.  It was months after I bought it before I really even got into chamber music, but now I love it.  I like the not-overly-polished way they hit the music.  There is a spontaneous freshness and energy to a lot of that material, even if it isn't first rate by technical standards. 

BTW, I'm playing the first Organ Concerto disc from the Haydn box right now.  What delightful stuff!!  I'm tired of hearing grandiose organ music that sounds like an industrial accident in an instrument factory.
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on October 11, 2014, 07:51:48 AM
Me too! Of course, at the time I bought the Chamber set it was just a shot in the dark for me. I had no idea what "Westminster" was, but it was a very handsome box and appealed to me for some reason.  It was months after I bought it before I really even got into chamber music, but now I love it.  I like the not-overly-polished way they hit the music.  There is a spontaneous freshness and energy to a lot of that material, even if it isn't first rate by technical standards. 

BTW, I'm playing the first Organ Concerto disc from the Haydn box right now.  What delightful stuff!!  I'm tired of hearing grandiose organ music that sounds like an industrial accident in an instrument factory.

Interesting pictorial analogy!  LOL!
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on October 11, 2014, 07:43:47 AM
Hmm, Amazon.jp!  Now you are leading me into the Asian box sets with vengeance... Temptations, temptation....  >:D :'( >:D :'(

Oh, no, don't tell me you saw the big George Szell box for $200? :o
   I could easily see how a gem like that would be very hard to resist >:D >:D
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on October 11, 2014, 08:14:47 AM
Oh, no, don't tell me you saw the big George Szell box for $200? :o
   I could easily see how a gem like that would be very hard to resist >:D >:D

No, I fell for the Westminster box as well...but let me browse some more!   >:D >:D >:D
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Italian Amazon....it keeps calling to me.

Last night I found the Early music "Secret Labyrinths" box used at Amazon JP for $27, plus $5 shipping. Second hand, but that doesn't bother me. I don't keep the outer box, anyway.

I have the Ensemble Unicorn and "Saints and Sinners" early music boxes in my basket at importCD.  Fantastic prices on both, but I just got the wonderful Rene Jacobs edition and Hilliard Ensemble 8 disc box for about $20 each.  I don't mean to brag when I give the prices, but rather to excuse my seeming profligacy.  There has to be a point where these sets are just too reasonable to pass up.  And they are just so darned GOOD ???
  About Italian Amazon, the boxes are dead cheap, but shipping is high. However, it goes down with bulk.  The DG Bernstein and the new Decca Weiner Phil box can be had, shipped, for $235, combined.  Of course that's a lot of cash, but for 125 discs, it's under $2 for each, for very fine music indeed.  :'( :'( 
It's all good...