Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on November 21, 2014, 06:56:57 AM
Nope, I haven't listened to 51 (Dukas, Ravel et al), but I will follow your lead!  :)

Definitely! The chamber box was/is charming and was ultimately responsible for me getting the other sets. I fell for the Schubert recordings quickly followed by the Haydn. Have you listened to Schubert's Octet?

Yes, a powerful Eroica! Why aren't Scherchen's recordings more widely available...? It seems like his legacy has melted away for some obscure reason.

Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on November 25, 2014, 06:09:10 PM
Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?

If you see a sailor giving an emotional embrace to a female, yes.  Nice combination of the two symphonic titles.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 25, 2014, 06:28:03 PM
If you see a sailor giving an emotional embrace to a female, yes.

took me a while to see that, but you're right. First I was seeing something more like what Ken was >:D
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on November 26, 2014, 01:00:26 AM
  took me a while to see that, but you're right. First I was seeing something more like what Ken was >:D
Yeah. After Jeffrey posted then, after a second or two, I could see he was right. It's a sailor's cap not part of his collar, and the picture re-orients ...

Cosi bel do

A lot of these Westminster midprice covers were really strange. One of the most ugly and weirdly alluring is, I guess, the following :

Brian

Quote from: Discobolus on November 26, 2014, 07:04:10 AM
A lot of these Westminster midprice covers were really strange. One of the most ugly and weirdly alluring is, I guess, the following :

Yes. I spent years trying to buy this LP to put on my wall, but when one seller delivered it to me, they had sent a reissue with a different cover. Meanwhile, one of my college friends found it in a thrift shop. You can see his copy in the background of this almost-silent comedy - and hear his copy on the soundtrack!

http://www.youtube.com/v/SVAjLyv79go

Moonfish

Quote from: Brian on November 26, 2014, 09:21:01 PM
Yes. I spent years trying to buy this LP to put on my wall, but when one seller delivered it to me, they had sent a reissue with a different cover. Meanwhile, one of my college friends found it in a thrift shop. You can see his copy in the background of this almost-silent comedy - and hear his copy on the soundtrack!

http://www.youtube.com/v/SVAjLyv79go

Creative film!  :D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on November 26, 2014, 10:44:13 PM
Creative film!  :D
Looks more like a documentary to me.  8) (not that I'm personally that bad with deadlines)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on November 26, 2014, 10:48:06 PM
Looks more like a documentary to me.  8) (not that I'm personally that bad with deadlines)

Well, one can get a lot done in four minutes...... :P
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Jo498

I missed it the first time. Behind the protagonist's right shoulder at 0:56 f.
Which campus was that filmed on?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Moonfish

Quote from: Jo498 on November 26, 2014, 11:34:30 PM

Also at 5:00!  :)
Anna Lappé

Brian

Quote from: Jo498 on November 26, 2014, 11:34:30 PM
Rice University in Houston, Texas.

Pat B

Quote from: Brian on November 27, 2014, 05:41:22 AM
Rice University in Houston, Texas.

Doesn't look like it to me. :-[

ETA: Well, it does when I actually play the video.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Discobolus on November 26, 2014, 07:04:10 AM

I have this one from EMI that strikes me as a non sequitur:

I gather that either

1) Kennedy or Rattle or both are dog lovers
2) Kennedy or Rattle is so-called "Big Dog" in this music.

It is even more strange since Kennedy has another recording of this music with a much more traditional cover:

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on November 27, 2014, 06:19:04 AM
I have this one from EMI that strikes me as a non sequitur:

I gather that either

1) Kennedy or Rattle or both are dog lovers
2) Kennedy or Rattle is so-called "Big Dog" in this music.

It is even more strange since Kennedy has another recording of this music with a much more traditional cover:

I love that Westminster cover, which I only first saw in our own 'Horrible CD covers' thread!

I should have thought the bulldog (symbol of Britain for the last 100 years, at least outside of Britain) referred to the all-Brit repertoire. The Big Dog analogy seems a bit strained given those two subjects... :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Moonfish

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 27, 2014, 06:34:53 AM
I love that Westminster cover, which I only first saw in our own 'Horrible CD covers' thread!

I should have thought the bulldog (symbol of Britain for the last 100 years, at least outside of Britain) referred to the all-Brit repertoire. The Big Dog analogy seems a bit strained given those two subjects... :D

8)

A lovely landscape painting indeed!   8)
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

My box-buying cash reserve has slowly grown.  Anticipating soon getting either the Seon big box or the new Decca "black chocolate" box.  Is it is a coincidence that since I stopped buying music I seem to have less energy and enthusiasm (in general)?
It's all good...

Brian

Quote from: Pat B on November 27, 2014, 05:56:41 AM
Doesn't look like it to me. :-[

ETA: Well, it does when I actually play the video.
That freeze-frame image is a new coffee shop pavilion they built around 2009. Campus reaction has been divided, to say the least.

Moonfish

Quote from: Baklavaboy on November 27, 2014, 06:54:47 AM
My box-buying cash reserve has slowly grown.  Anticipating soon getting either the Seon big box or the new Decca "black chocolate" box.  Is it is a coincidence that since I stopped buying music I seem to have less energy and enthusiasm (in general)?

Yes, it is life sustaining! You....have...to...get..........both....  *gasp* *puff* *acckk*...
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on November 27, 2014, 08:52:52 AM
Yes, it is life sustaining! You....have...to...get..........both....  *gasp* *puff* *acckk*...

Dear god Al, your abstemiousness is killing Moonfish! Scrooge-by-proxy Syndrome!

The Seon box looks about half duplicates to me. Check it carefully.  :(