Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

The DHM 2 box just landed today, from Japan!

It is insane. It is gorgeous, just beautiful. It is stuffed with great stuff. A few duplicates, and a couple too many opera aria collections but more than enough to justify twice what I paid.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on December 10, 2014, 01:45:54 PM
The DHM 2 box just landed today, from Japan!

It is insane. It is gorgeous, just beautiful. It is stuffed with great stuff. A few duplicates, and a couple too many opera aria collections but more than enough to justify twice what I paid.

Like a turkey?

Yep, mine arrived as well. I love how Amazon.jp ships via DHL and it arrives only two days later!  Impressive! 8)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

spooky

Quote from: Moonfish on December 10, 2014, 02:36:32 PM
Like a turkey?

Yep, mine arrived as well. I love how Amazon.jp ships via DHL and it arrives only two days later!  Impressive! 8)

Yes mine just arrived via Amazon.ca today - anyone discovered if there is supposed to be a booklet - or an online version of a booklet ?
Mine was just a box with 50 discs.

----
UPDATE:
Some conjecture here; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deutsche-Harmonia-Mundi-50-Collection/dp/B00NX4NMGO
as to the lack of liner notes/booklet
"...when the night came, tortured by the usual melancholy of my thoughts, taking a vihuela,
I went out by a back door to the fields, to put aside my worries, and to enjoy the fresh wind
that was blowing..." Rojas, 1603

Mookalafalas

Mine cleared customs yesterday morning, but hasn't arrived yet :'(
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

How quiet it has gotten over here :'(
   I've finally dug into my Karajan 60s box in a serious way.  I confess to being seduced. I remember objecting to Karajan on a number of grounds, but now all I can do is soak into the rich, fat, luxuriiant sound of his orchestra and quiver like a contented jelly.

My reason for coming here, however, is to ask Moonfish to wax a bit more emphatically regarding his feelings for Soltissimos 2 and 3.  Someone has actually put the 3 box into my hands, but I am not sure what to do.  As it is often hard not to look a gift horse in the mouth, my first thought is to wonder how it compares to 2.  I've often heard that Solti was better in the 70s than the 80s, but I am really wondering about the sound.  80s early digital recording tends to be behind mature 70s analogue.  I don't really want another box of the core repertoire...but then again, the Chicago Symphony orchestra with SOTA 70s recording sounds pretty tempting.  I have the Magnificent Reiner box, and the sound in that is really good, but still, really good 50s recording should still pale next to really good 70s recordings, right?
It's all good...

bigshot

I ordered the three Ansermet boxes yesterday. They have been tempting me for some time. I love the sound quality and a whole box of Russian makes me very eager to dive in.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: bigshot on December 23, 2014, 09:47:02 AM
I ordered the three Ansermet boxes yesterday. They have been tempting me for some time. I love the sound quality and a whole box of Russian makes me very eager to dive in.

Merry Christmas to you, Big Shot! 
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 23, 2014, 05:16:45 AM
How quiet it has gotten over here :'(
   I've finally dug into my Karajan 60s box in a serious way.  I confess to being seduced. I remember objecting to Karajan on a number of grounds, but now all I can do is soak into the rich, fat, luxuriiant sound of his orchestra and quiver like a contented jelly.

My reason for coming here, however, is to ask Moonfish to wax a bit more emphatically regarding his feelings for Soltissimos 2 and 3.  Someone has actually put the 3 box into my hands, but I am not sure what to do.  As it is often hard not to look a gift horse in the mouth, my first thought is to wonder how it compares to 2.  I've often heard that Solti was better in the 70s than the 80s, but I am really wondering about the sound.  80s early digital recording tends to be behind mature 70s analogue.  I don't really want another box of the core repertoire...but then again, the Chicago Symphony orchestra with SOTA 70s recording sounds pretty tempting.  I have the Magnificent Reiner box, and the sound in that is really good, but still, really good 50s recording should still pale next to really good 70s recordings, right?

:D :D :D

Al,
I can actually envision you in the state of a Karajan induced Jelly shivering in unison with the deep and warm bass!  I do like the 60s recordings as well. In terms of Soltissimo I am working my way through #3 as I view #2 as a Christmas present (New Years?) to myself. I suspect GMGers are their own secret Santa?  I am also a bit (very) distracted by the Huelges Ensemble at the moment!  :P   

I really do like the Solti recordings. The main drawback (as you already have realized) is the duplication of warhorses in the repertoire. In addition, the cds are not "filled" with music as they follow the "original" formula in their presentation. They could have done the set with less than 40 cds rather than the 57. I actually purchased #3 first since it seemed like they were low in supply - at least it seemed that way. Amazon JP's inventory for S3 is generally low or non-existent. It is almost like they receive one at a time and the price fluctuates accordingly. Regardless, the sound is great and the performances are enjoyable. I was pleasantly surprised by Solti's performances in S3.   Chances are that you will be transformed into a Solti jelly!!  Soon!!!    ;)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

kishnevi

I have started working my way through this

Right now I have CD 13 on,  Dorati conducting Petrouchka  and the Rite of Spring.
Sound is very good, and justifies the Living Presence moniker.
It is full of warhorses, but many of them warhorses I have not listened to in years, and other music new to me, such as Howard Hanson conducting his own music.
Dorati bulks large in the contents, as does Frederick Fennell , Byron Janis, and Janos Starker (his Bach Suites, among other things).  And I now have a recording of Wellington's Victory complete with HIP firearms.
Complete listing of the contents can be found in Discophage's review on Amazon.  I like it enough I may get MLP 2 before long.

Ken B

I am oddly untempted by Soltissimo. I like him as a conductor. Too much stuff I have n times. It would have to be a great price. Maybe my new role in life is to be strong so Al doesn't have to.

Untempted by Ansermet too for different reasons. I bought his Stravinsky box. It was crummy. Not one disc, all 8. Stravinsky is supposed to be what he was good at.

I would be tempted if the Reiner box were cheap. Still waiting for the Boulez and Seon boxes (Al!) to drop.

Que

Im generally not easily tempted by the BIG boxes :D.

However, on my wish list are:

- the SEON box. Although I'll have to look into whether the Early Music recordings in there are still enjoyable or are now dated... An alternative would be to buy at least the Brüggen recordings in some of these small Vivarte boxes

- the Baroque Opera box on Harmonia Mundi

- the Monteux box (possibly)

- the French Music Ansermet box (probably)

Q

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on December 23, 2014, 08:00:08 PM
Maybe my new role in life is to be strong so Al doesn't have to.
My hero :-*

Quote from: Ken B on December 23, 2014, 08:00:08 PM
I would be tempted if the Reiner box were cheap.
I have seen it for some pretty low prices ($108?).  It has over 60 discs, and sound and performances are all really good.  For some reason it has disappeared from my playlist ???...I guess it's just because of where I have the discs placed.  Or is it because of the stories I've read about what a big jerk he was?  I should just put the Reiner and Szell boxes next to my CD player and forget everything else (well, Karajan and Bernstein).  Why am I even thinking (however vaguely) about Solti and Ansermet.  Just Christmas, I guess ;)
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Moonfish on December 23, 2014, 05:05:46 PM
I am also a bit (very) distracted by the Huelges Ensemble at the moment!  :P 
I don't blame you! I got a second hand copy of the Labyrinths box through Amazon JP for a very good price.  That stuff is magic.

Quote from: Moonfish on December 23, 2014, 05:05:46 PM
I really do like the Solti recordings. The main drawback (as you already have realized) is the duplication of warhorses in the repertoire. In addition, the cds are not "filled" with music as they follow the "original" formula in their presentation. They could have done the set with less than 40 cds rather than the 57. I actually purchased #3 first since it seemed like they were low in supply - at least it seemed that way. Amazon JP's inventory for S3 is generally low or non-existent. It is almost like they receive one at a time and the price fluctuates accordingly. Regardless, the sound is great and the performances are enjoyable. I was pleasantly surprised by Solti's performances in S3.   Chances are that you will be transformed into a Solti jelly!!  Soon!!!    ;)
OK, good to hear. 2 looks like a fun box, and the 5DVDs should be a nice bonus, but for the reasons both you and Ken mention, it is resistible.  After I've gotten to know 3, I'll give 2 some more thought.  My CDCDCD has been in full remission for the last 2 months, but with the purse-strings fully loosened for Christmas, it's acting up a bit.   The one I'm most tempted by is the damned Decca Vienna box ???
It's all good...

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Que on December 23, 2014, 10:13:48 PM
Im generally not easily tempted by the BIG boxes :D.

However, on my wish list are:

- the Baroque Opera box on Harmonia Mundi
Q

That is not a big box, that is a present God shaped with his own hands specifically for you.  It has 4 books inside, and a triple DVD of one of the operas.  Sound and performances are wonderful.  It's only weakness (if weakness it be) is that the discs are not in the little slipcases, but fancy cardboard and plastic jewelboxes. 
It's all good...

JCBuckley

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 24, 2014, 12:59:17 AM
  That is not a big box, that is a present God shaped with his own hands specifically for you.  It has 4 books inside, and a triple DVD of one of the operas.  Sound and performances are wonderful.   

Totally agree - it's a fantastic package. The only downside for me is that it's created an expensive addiction to baroque opera that shows no sign of easing off.

Ken B

That is not a big box, that is a present God shaped with his own hands specifically for you.  It has 4 books inside, and a triple DVD of one of the operas.  Sound and performances are wonderful.  It's only weakness (if weakness it be) is that the discs are not in the little slipcases, but fancy cardboard and plastic jewelboxes.
Yes, the box is just a wrapper around conventional sets, with books added. A Q natural I would have thought.

Que

Quote from: JCBuckley on December 24, 2014, 01:42:46 AM
Totally agree - it's a fantastic package. The only downside for me is that it's created an expensive addiction to baroque opera that shows no sign of easing off.

Quote from: Ken B on December 24, 2014, 06:04:14 AM
Yes, the box is just a wrapper around conventional sets, with books added. A Q natural I would have thought.

It sounds better and better... :D

Not that I needed much convincing on that one... 8) All I need is a good bargain opportunity - I'm counting on you guys! :)

Q

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Que on December 24, 2014, 07:07:26 AM
It sounds better and better... :D

Not that I needed much convincing on that one... 8) All I need is a good bargain opportunity - I'm counting on you guys! :)

Q

52 pounds, from Amazon UK.  It'll be late for Christmas though :'(
   Although maybe on time for New Years ;D
It's all good...

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 24, 2014, 12:53:04 AM

I don't blame you! I got a second hand copy of the Labyrinths box through Amazon JP for a very good price.  That stuff is magic.
  OK, good to hear. 2 looks like a fun box, and the 5DVDs should be a nice bonus, but for the reasons both you and Ken mention, it is resistible.  After I've gotten to know 3, I'll give 2 some more thought.  My CDCDCD has been in full remission for the last 2 months, but with the purse-strings fully loosened for Christmas, it's acting up a bit.   The one I'm most tempted by is the damned Decca Vienna box ???

That is a winner!  >:D 0:) 0:) 0:)
Have you been naughty or nice this past year?
Anna Lappé

bigshot

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 23, 2014, 03:50:02 PM
Merry Christmas to you, Big Shot!

And Merry Christmas to all, and to all a big box!