Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 26, 2015, 10:02:36 PM
Yeah, the SEON looks great, too, and those that purchased it seem happy. I have close to 30 discs of it already, from other sets (like the big Sony Barock box), or that I bought in smaller sets.  I intend to get it eventually, but am expecting (hoping? Gambling) that the price will get even more reasonable in the future. 

I just read some stuff about the new Decca Mono box.  I'm quite curious about that one.
    Moonfish! Do you have it yet? Any thoughts? Lots of bonus material on the discs?

Ha ha! Not yet (but it is on its way from Germany...) so I will report at a future date.
I am a sucker for historical recordings so it was hard to resist.   :'( :P
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Abuelo Igor

Why are they so few, if any, chamber music mega-boxes? I really cannot think now of a single 40- or 50- disc set that encompasses, say, the most important string quartet cycles by a single top-flight ensemble, or an extensive historic panorama of the violin sonata, or chamber wind music, or whatever.

Nobody has apparently thought either of repackaging tons of the contemporary stuff in massive boxes, as in "100 years of the Donaueschingen festival" or "70 years of Darmstadt".

Maybe only big labels are able to put out such products and they are positive that chamber or contemporary wouldn't sell, as opposed to mainstream orchestral, piano or opera?
L'enfant, c'est moi.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Abuelo Igor on February 27, 2015, 03:34:36 PM
Why are they so few, if any, chamber music mega-boxes? I really cannot think now of a single 40- or 50- disc set that encompasses, say, the most important string quartet cycles by a single top-flight ensemble, or an extensive historic panorama of the violin sonata, or chamber wind music, or whatever.

Nobody has apparently thought either of repackaging tons of the contemporary stuff in massive boxes, as in "100 years of the Donaueschingen festival" or "70 yars of Darmstadt".

Maybe only big labels are able to put out such products and they are positive that chamber or contemporary wouldn't sell, as opposed to mainstream orchestral, piano or opera?

Have you seen this?
[asin]B0095PAGGY[/asin]
It's all good...

bigshot

I'm ripping the DGG Bernstein set right now. Very odd contents. Tons of Beethoven, Tons of Bernstein compositions, Tons of Brahms and just bits and scraps filling out the rest. This box doesn't seem to be programmed. It looks like they had 180 CDs worth of stuff and just divided it up by alphabetical order of the composer's name

bigshot

By the way, Amazon.de has a good price on both the Decca Sound Mono box (85 euro) and the Mercury Living Presence 3 (92 euro). Exchange rate is good too (1.16 USD/euro).

Brian

Quote from: bigshot on February 28, 2015, 11:31:33 AMIt looks like they had 180 CDs worth of stuff and just divided it up by alphabetical order of the composer's name
This is exactly what they did.

Moonfish

Quote from: bigshot on February 28, 2015, 11:31:33 AM
I'm ripping the DGG Bernstein set right now. Very odd contents. Tons of Beethoven, Tons of Bernstein compositions, Tons of Brahms and just bits and scraps filling out the rest. This box doesn't seem to be programmed. It looks like they had 180 CDs worth of stuff and just divided it up by alphabetical order of the composer's name

It is a DG Bernstein archive!  ::)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Abuelo Igor

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 27, 2015, 04:08:48 PM
  Have you seen this?
[asin]B0095PAGGY[/asin]

As a matter of fact, that's just about the only set I know of that approaches what I mean. The problem is, you're never going to get it at an affordable price in Europe. From where I'm writing, it's going to cost you in the vicinity of 300, 400 euros, which I'm not willing (or able) to pay.
L'enfant, c'est moi.

Moonfish

Quote from: Abuelo Igor on February 28, 2015, 02:40:11 PM
As a matter of fact, that's just about the only set I know of that approaches what I mean. The problema is, you're never going to get it at an affordable price in Europe. From where I'm writing, it's going to cost you in the vicinity of 300, 400 euros, which I'm not willing (or able) to pay.

Abuelo,
It is less than 200 euros from Amazon.japan in case you are interested...
Anna Lappé

aap1960

From the electronic version of the March edition of Gramophone, Page 23

"One may think of Decca primarily as a recorder of large-scale works - symphonies and opera (the latter to be the subject of its own box later on) - but the repertoire of the 'Mono Years'......"

Would be very interested in this.

Tony

Couldn't see my attachment of the copy from the article, so I retyped it in the comments any way.  :-[

Moonfish

Quote from: aap1960 on February 28, 2015, 03:23:42 PM
From the electronic version of the March edition of Gramophone, Page 23

"One may think of Decca primarily as a recorder of large-scale works - symphonies and opera (the latter to be the subject of its own box later on) - but the repertoire of the 'Mono Years'......"

Would be very interested in this.

Tony

Couldn't see my attachment of the copy from the article, so I retyped it in the comments any way.  :-[

tracks at
http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/de/cat/4787946
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Abuelo Igor on February 28, 2015, 02:40:11 PM
As a matter of fact, that's just about the only set I know of that approaches what I mean. The problem is, you're never going to get it at an affordable price in Europe. From where I'm writing, it's going to cost you in the vicinity of 300, 400 euros, which I'm not willing (or able) to pay.

The Vivarte box has a lot of chamber in it. Sony has a couple of 10 cd boxlets, as does Membran. Brilliant had a chamber box years ago. Specific composers of course like Brahms. Otherwise, as you say, thin on the ground.

kishnevi

I actually have no ABQ beyond their Beethoven cycle, so I can't rate the performances.

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 28, 2015, 06:31:29 PM

I actually have no ABQ beyond their Beethoven cycle, so I can't rate the performances.
Ooooo. Tasty looking. I had some of their EMI recordings on vinyl, which were great.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on February 28, 2015, 06:32:54 PM
Ooooo. Tasty looking. I had some of their EMI recordings on vinyl, which were great.
It's fantastic, but only one disc by each composer, so has a kind of "Sampler" feel.

The Yo Yo Ma box has a lot of Chamber, but a lot of everything else, too.  Other sets by Cellists and Violinists have a lot of Chamber works.  The big Rubinstein box has a ton of chamber music.  The Heiffetz/Patiogorsky box is all chamber.
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on February 28, 2015, 07:08:09 PM
  It's fantastic, but only one disc by each composer, so has a kind of "Sampler" feel.

The Yo Yo Ma box has a lot of Chamber, but a lot of everything else, too.  Other sets by Cellists and Violinists have a lot of Chamber works.  The big Rubinstein box has a ton of chamber music.  The Heiffetz/Patiogorsky box is all chamber.

Oh, I forgot the H/P box.
I suppose it's one of those repressed memories, to spare  me pain -- I dislike most of the box and plan to sell it. Huge disappointment.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on February 28, 2015, 06:24:31 PM
The Vivarte box has a lot of chamber in it. Sony has a couple of 10 cd boxlets, as does Membran. Brilliant had a chamber box years ago. Specific composers of course like Brahms. Otherwise, as you say, thin on the ground.

Yes, Brilliant's box was pretty good...

[asin] B000LP4OVU[/asin]
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Sony also has 2 boxes, 10 cds each "Treasures of Chamber Music". Under $2 per disc.

[asin]B00896P6F6[/asin]

The Martha Argerich chamber boxes are terrific, of course, but not very big.
It's all good...

king ubu

I want a huge Juilliard box, pu-leeeeeze!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/