Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigshot

I broke down and bought the BBC Legends live box. I've been eyeing it for a long time and thought I could resist, but I am weak...

Pat B

Quote from: bigshot on May 08, 2015, 09:58:11 AM
I broke down and bought the BBC Legends live box. I've been eyeing it for a long time and thought I could resist, but I am weak...

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Moonfish

Quote from: bigshot on May 08, 2015, 09:58:11 AM

Great set!   0:)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

BOLO ALERT

Be on the lookout for for a dangerous enabler, described as nocturnal and piscine. 11 inches high, 19 inches long with black fur. Answers to "Peter".

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on May 08, 2015, 04:15:13 PM
BOLO ALERT

Be on the lookout for for a dangerous enabler, described as nocturnal and piscine. 11 inches high, 19 inches long with black fur. Answers to "Peter".

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Brian

David Hurwitz just reviewed the new Charles Groves box at ClassicsToday. It's behind a paywall, but the free preview includes his remark that Groves "outclassed" Boult and Handley among British music advocates!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on May 10, 2015, 05:34:12 AM
David Hurwitz just reviewed the new Charles Groves box at ClassicsToday. It's behind a paywall, but the free preview includes his remark that Groves "outclassed" Boult and Handley among British music advocates!

Pffftttt! Another ignorant statement from Hurwitz.

Mookalafalas

The Tafelmusik box just rolled in.  I was really surprised, as I assumed it was the Vaughan-Williams finally getting here.  Anyway, it's a nice little cube.  The included book just gives disc information--nothing like the serious essays for each disc in the original Vivarte box. Total price, with shipping, was $56.  Insane.  I would have paid twice as much without a complaint. 
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 10, 2015, 05:03:58 PM
The Tafelmusik box just rolled in.  I was really surprised, as I assumed it was the Vaughan-Williams finally getting here.  Anyway, it's a nice little cube.  The included book just gives disc information--nothing like the serious essays for each disc in the original Vivarte box. Total price, with shipping, was $56.  Insane.  I would have paid twice as much without a complaint.

All in the Seon box my friend, all in the Seon box.

>:D

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on May 10, 2015, 05:40:29 PM
All in the Seon box my friend, all in the Seon box.

>:D

:-[ I'm afraid I don't follow you, Ken. There is little or no overlap between the boxes...
It's all good...

Que

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 10, 2015, 07:13:47 PM
:-[ I'm afraid I don't follow you, Ken. There is little or no overlap between the boxes...

There should be none. SEON was Philips' "early music" sub label, until they squandered it to Sony.
Tafelmusik was enlisted by Sony long after SEON was active as a label.

Q

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Que on May 10, 2015, 09:54:29 PM
There should be none. SEON was Philips' "early music" sub label, until they squandered it to Sony.
Tafelmusik was enlisted by Sony long after SEON was active as a label.

Q

Certainly no performance overlap, but they do have some works overlap (Brandenburg Concertos, for example). But that is not what Ken means, I think. It probably has to do with something I said about the SEON box earlier, but I'm quite certain I never said "Everything you'll ever need is in this box" or some such...

Ironically, I went back to the old Vivarte box to compare some things with the new one and ended up becoming re-enraptured that set.  When I got that box I liked a lot of things but considered a lot of it kind of weird, random stuff. Now I know that I was just (more) ignorant at that time.  What a fantastic box.  It probably is the closest rival to the big SEON... Could the old and new Vivarte's combined be even better?  Perhaps I will spend the next few years deciding ;D
It's all good...

king ubu

Which one's the "old" Vivarte? I have the cube from 2012 or 2013, was there one before that?
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Mookalafalas

Quote from: king ubu on May 11, 2015, 12:32:36 AM
Which one's the "old" Vivarte? I have the cube from 2012 or 2013, was there one before that?

No, that's the one.  I call that one the old Vivarte because this Tafelmusik box is also (to my surprise) prominently labeled as "Vivarte", making it, apparently, the second one. 
It's all good...

king ubu

Okay, thanks - I guess I'll skip the Tafelmusik, having the Vivarte and having Tafelmusik's Haydn box ... and I've stood strong on the SEON so far as well (not having anything there though, but I think by now I have my share of "historic HIP" recordings - that, btw, is not the bag I put Tafelmusik in, I like them a lot, so I am still somewhat on the fence there, but the SEON is definitely too rich for me).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Jo498

Vivarte simply was Sony's "HIP" sublabel. They also employed Wolf Erikson and later on Sony acquired SEON and re-issued it on CD.
Quite a bit of the SEON box could qualify as "HIP pioneers" (mostly 1970s) whereas the Tafelmusik is "modern" 1990s HIP.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

king ubu

I'm aware, yes. I prefer more recent HIP mostly, but then the Oiseau Lyre box is awaiting for discovery ... and with the Archiv Produktion and Vivarte cubes, as well as plenty of "Das alte Werk" discs (which is why I didn't even consider that cube), I feel I've got my bases covered there.

While I love these big boxes, with more recent recordings I seem to prefer single releases - and I currently don't feel like I need more biggish early HIP reissues. But that may change again as time goes by, of course! (I'm only three years in, I still don't know plenty of standard repertoire and stuff, I kinda need to pace myself a bit  :))
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Jo498

I am not buying any of these boxes. I don't deny that they are great value for money but for me it is just too much stuff I either have already, do not much care about and in any case will probably hardly listen to at all. I think for a relative newbie they are often overwhelming. But the Vivarte, Seon etc. at least have the benefit of quite a bit non-standard repertoire.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mookalafalas

Yeah, King Ubu, pace yourself!  The boxes you mentioned are fantastic, but should certainly be enough for a long time. It's strange to remember that until recently that would have been enough quantity and quality to reflect decades of collecting and be enough to satisfy a lifetime of listening...
   I generally feel really grateful to have gotten into classical music at this time (all these fantastic bargain sets), but at the same time I feel nostalgic for the time when I would play a favorite album (Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Frank Zappa, The Who, Brian Eno) hundreds of times.  If I bought an LP and didn't like it I would still play it 10 times or more.  Now if a new disc gets 3 plays it qualifies as a top-tier favorite...
It's all good...

king ubu

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 11, 2015, 05:52:09 AM
Yeah, King Ubu, pace yourself!  The boxes you mentioned are fantastic, but should certainly be enough for a long time. It's strange to remember that until recently that would have been enough quantity and quality to reflect decades of collecting and be enough to satisfy a lifetime of listening...
   I generally feel really grateful to have gotten into classical music at this time (all these fantastic bargain sets), but at the same time I feel nostalgic for the time when I would play a favorite album (Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Frank Zappa, The Who, Brian Eno) hundreds of times.  If I bought an LP and didn't like it I would still play it 10 times or more.  Now if a new disc gets 3 plays it qualifies as a top-tier favorite...

Well, somehow, as jazz is supposed to be the sound of surprise to me, I never felt like listening to particular records dozens or hundreds of times within shorter periods of time. I might only have four or five dozen that I actually know by heart, more or less. I rather do binge listening, like spend a whole day (or a week, or even a month) going through some of Coltrane's music - but mostly listening to all of it just once and then moving on.

With classical (as well as with rock/pop/soul/world/whatever) that is different, but with jazz I never even felt like I wanted to really know it all. Not that I don't want to listen in seriousness, but it's (mostly, muchly) spontaneous music and I don't want it to lose that aspect to me.

Anyway, it still happens that stuff gets played a dozen of times a week within arrival - jazz (I'm still also buying and exploring jazz) or classical - sometimes you just can't help it  ;)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!