Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Quote from: king ubu on May 11, 2015, 06:15:58 AM
sometimes you just can't help it  ;)
;D ;D

That's great to hear. 
I'm like a bratty kid on Christmas, ripping the wrapping on one present after another.  No matter how much I like a disc--perhaps even more if I especially like it--I can hardly wait to get to the next treasure and see how good it is...
It's all good...

king ubu

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 11, 2015, 06:27:24 AM
I'm like a bratty kid on Christmas, ripping the wrapping on one present after another.  No matter how much I like a disc--perhaps even more if I especially like it--I can hardly wait to get to the next treasure and see how good it is...

I'll drink to that tonight (though probably my three evil A and five presto boxes won't start arriving until tomorrow, rarely do parcels get delivered on Mondays)  ;D
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

ritter

Perhaps this has been discussed before, but I ask anyway  :-[ : has anyone heard anything about a big Charles Munch / RCA box appearing anytime soon ? ? ? ?

Thanks in advance...

Moonfish

Quote from: ritter on May 11, 2015, 10:03:10 AM
Perhaps this has been discussed before, but I ask anyway  :-[ : has anyone heard anything about a big Charles Munch / RCA box appearing anytime soon ? ? ? ?

Thanks in advance...

I haven't seen any traces yet, but that set has to be released over the next few years! Right? Right.......?    :P
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 10, 2015, 07:13:47 PM
:-[ I'm afraid I don't follow you, Ken. There is little or no overlap between the boxes...

You're killing me Al.
Surely there's a lot. Haydn symphonies, Bach, Handel?

king ubu

Quote from: Ken B on May 11, 2015, 10:18:10 AM
You're killing me Al.

overlap in repertoire, but not in peformance - makes a difference to some, ya know  ;D
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

ritter

Quote from: Moonfish on May 11, 2015, 10:07:35 AM
I haven't seen any traces yet, but that set has to be released over the next few years! Right? Right.......?    :P
If you wish for something hard enough, it will come true  :)

Jo498

Quote from: ritter on May 11, 2015, 10:03:10 AM

Aren't there three or so medium-sized Munch boxes available dirt cheap?
I have one with Mendelssohn, Brahms etc., but there is at least another one and probably also one for Berlioz.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

ritter

Quote from: Jo498 on May 11, 2015, 12:01:07 PM
Aren't there three or so medium-sized Munch boxes available dirt cheap?
I have one with Mendelssohn, Brahms etc., but there is at least another one and probably also one for Berlioz.
Indeed there is (two at least), in Sony's cheap white series:

Unfortunately, though, these don't include what I'm really after (Debussy, Ravel, Beethoven).. :(

Jo498

I have the German romantics box, Beethoven's 9th on the EMI great conductors, Beethoven's 3rd on a japanese disc, as well as some Berlioz and Chausson. You guys are right, there should be at least a "French" box with Munch.

I guess they want to sell at least some of his stuff more expensively on Living Stereo SACDs; there's quite a bit available in that series.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on May 11, 2015, 10:18:10 AM
You're killing me Al.

Actually, I have a TON of the Tafelmusik stuff already.  But for overlap, even in repertoire, there is very little.  The two boxes actually complement each other almost perfectly.
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 11, 2015, 04:49:48 PM
  Actually, I have a TON of the Tafelmusik stuff already.  But for overlap, even in repertoire, there is very little.  The two boxes actually complement each other almost perfectly.
But what about the Vivarte box?

Added. Well I ordered it. To lock in the Azon price; I might still cancel. I need to make a careful count. But I have separate Haydn boxes I can sell to recoup a few bucks.

Al&Moonfish 1, Kens willpower 0.  Again.

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on May 11, 2015, 05:50:11 PM

Added. Well I ordered it. To lock in the Azon price; I might still cancel. I need to make a careful count. But I have separate Haydn boxes I can sell to recoup a few bucks.

Al&Moonfish 1, Kens willpower 0.  Again.

I am actually resisting! :)    Have all the Haydn and the Vivarte box fills in most of the other disks.  Seems redundant to me.  >:D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on May 11, 2015, 05:50:11 PM

Probably a lot of overlap with the Vivarte box. I did something of a count before I ordered, but I forget what my numbers were.  I think everything conducted by Lamon or Weil (except the Schubert) that is in the earlier Vivarte box is also in the Vivarte Tafelmusik box.  I bought all the Weil Haydn stuff, including the massses and oratorios, so I have considerable duplication. 
   Another thing that may chase you away from this box is that Tafelmusik is a Canadian outfit. >:D >:D
It's all good...

king ubu

there's some Munch on WHRA as well, most notably this one:

[asin]B002QJ51G6[/asin]
review w/contents:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2011/Mar11/munch_french_WHRA6027.htm

and there are these two (first one's all German again, second has some French):
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2009/Feb09/Munch_whra6017.htm
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2009/June09/Munch_whra6015.htm
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

ritter

Quote from: king ubu on May 11, 2015, 11:51:14 PM
there's some Munch on WHRA as well, most notably this one:

Thanks for that, king ubu! I didn't know about the existence of  these boxes  :)

king ubu

I collected them all by now (same for the Monteux ones) ... but this is mostly repertoire I've not really started exploring.

And obviously, these kinds of boxes aren't the same as a box pulling together the studio recordings. I've not really explored Munch (or Monteux) in depth now, but the time will come  :)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Ken B

Quote from: Mookalafalas on May 11, 2015, 09:12:22 PM

Another thing that may chase you away from this box is that Tafelmusik is a Canadian outfit. >:D >:D

Worse. Ontario, which abuts Michigan. BC might be OK, but this close to Detroit ...
:P :laugh:

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on May 12, 2015, 06:28:08 AM
Worse. Ontario, which abuts Michigan. BC might be OK, but this close to Detroit ...
:P :laugh:

Yeah, you wouldn't want to go supporting those guys...word might get out and they'd show up outside your door, looking for handouts :D

Seriously, just dig up all your tafelmusik stuff and start playing it. If you get excited and wish you had more, get the box. If you find your enthusiasm flags before you get through them, give it a miss (and direct the money towards the SEON set :P).
It's all good...

Abuelo Igor

Shouldn't there be a box set of the "Entartete Musik" series from Decca, since most of those albums seem to be out of print for ages? Most of it was opera and we would probably be left without the libretti, but at least it would be available again. I mean, it was about 40 CDs all together.
L'enfant, c'est moi.