Box Blather

Started by Ken B, April 19, 2014, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay F

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 04, 2015, 05:14:46 PM
  +2.   Original jackets are fun, but nice full discs are nothing to sneer at either.

I hate full discs. The last track (or two or three) often don't rip to my computer. I like CDs to be 60 minutes or under.

Brian

Quote from: Jay F on October 05, 2015, 11:11:04 AM
I hate full discs. The last track (or two or three) often don't rip to my computer. I like CDs to be 60 minutes or under.
?! What software do you use? I have never heard of this problem before.

bigshot

Quote from: Jay F on October 05, 2015, 11:11:04 AM

That is likely an incompatibility with your disk drive, not the computer. External optical drives are cheap. Worth replacing it.

Jay F

Quote from: Brian on October 05, 2015, 11:45:51 AM
?! What software do you use? I have never heard of this problem before.

iTunes. Is that software?

Jay F

Quote from: bigshot on October 05, 2015, 12:01:04 PM
That is likely an incompatibility with your disk drive, not the computer. External optical drives are cheap. Worth replacing it.

Is "external optical drive" the same as "external hard drive"? I usually rip things to my C drive, then transfer stuff to my EHD. So it would be better to send it directly to the EHD?

Holden

Quote from: Jay F on October 05, 2015, 06:49:23 PM
Is "external optical drive" the same as "external hard drive"? I usually rip things to my C drive, then transfer stuff to my EHD. So it would be better to send it directly to the EHD?

Yes, most ripping programs will allow you to do this, including iTunes.
Cheers

Holden

Jay F

Quote from: Holden on October 05, 2015, 07:02:53 PM
Yes, most ripping programs will allow you to do this, including iTunes.

So I shouldn't rip to my C: drive, and should have two EHDs (I want to have a duplicate of everything)?

aap1960

Quote from: Brian on October 04, 2015, 03:41:04 PM
Why were you so disappointed? The Bernstein Symphony Edition and the Bernstein Orchestral Works & Concertos Edition are totally outstanding box sets - two of my very favorites. I'm eager for the upcoming Bernstein Opera & Choral Edition (ETA next year, I think).

It's more of me being selfish than really disappointed. I missed out on the classic LP days of the 50's & 60's (not born yet or too young) and even the 70's (too cool for classical music). I celebrate and enjoy each of the decades that passed me by with all of those boxes that come with their original LP cover and discmates. I even enjoy the small playing times of some of these reissues. I know I'm somewhat childish about this. I should just appreciate that I can still re-live Lenny's performances some 50 or so years later in much better sound.
Tony

Pat B

Quote from: aap1960 on October 06, 2015, 09:29:43 PM
It's more of me being selfish than really disappointed. I missed out on the classic LP days of the 50's & 60's (not born yet or too young) and even the 70's (too cool for classical music). I celebrate and enjoy each of the decades that passed me by with all of those boxes that come with their original LP cover and discmates. I even enjoy the small playing times of some of these reissues. I know I'm somewhat childish about this. I should just appreciate that I can still re-live Lenny's performances some 50 or so years later in much better sound.
Tony

I don't think it's selfish or childish to have preferences or to state them! At the same time, yeah, you should enjoy the Bernstein regardless of format.

(FWIW I love the original artwork but I also generally prefer filled-up CDs -- a la the Mercury Living Presence boxes, the first Living Stereo box, and the Fricsay boxes -- but I have bought and enjoyed sets on either side of my happy medium. In the case of Bernstein, I just had too much of it separately to invest in those sets.)

Madiel

Quote from: Jay F on October 05, 2015, 07:27:20 PM
So I shouldn't rip to my C: drive, and should have two EHDs (I want to have a duplicate of everything)?

I doubt your C: drive is the problem, more likely it's the actual disc drive you're putting the CDs into that is defective in some way.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

bigshot

Quote from: Jay F on October 05, 2015, 06:49:23 PM
Is "external optical drive" the same as "external hard drive"?

An optical drive is the player you put your disks into. Your CD/DVD drive sounds like it is bad. If it's an internal drive, it's probably not worth the cost of fixing. Just get an external CD/DVD/BR drive at Amazon and connect it with USB.

Old Listener

I not usually a box set buyer.  By the time a box set with works and performers that interest me comes out, I've purchased much of the material that matters to me.  This set had enough that is new to me to make me a buyer.

[asin]B0069EOZT8[/asin]

Not much information in the Amazon listing.  Presto has more info

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Sony/88691911552

Mookalafalas

Where are Peter and Ken? :'( :'(
  Blathering about boxes is less fun without the old kings...

Anyway, I celebrated a year of semi-abstention with a really nice binge.  I got the Hogwood Bach and Vivaldi sets.  I am only 1/4 of the way through each, but seem to be pure gold. 
  Also went nuts on the Amazon Italy prices and got two Ansermat boxes for great prices (Russian and French--I hardly need any more German high-classical cycles!!) and the final Leonhardt box. 
  Also got {from Amazon Britain} the Wand set Old Listener picked up (above)[so, apparently I DID need some more German high classical cycles ;D] and the Erato Martinon box.  Still waiting for most of those to arrive.  All I can say is I am not expecting any buyer's remorse.  Each set should be 5-star, and all were very reasonably priced. 
  I've said it several times before, but those of us fairly new to classical music can count ourselves incredibly lucky!! By a wild stroke of luck this box mania has been sprung, allowing us to collect the musical treasures of the past for a tiny fraction of what enthusiasts had to pay up until now. 
   My main regret is that I don't have enough time to listen to all of the great stuff I have. As far as regrets go, that is a pretty sweet one 8)
     I feel like a butterfly that was blown from the middle of the Sahara into the gardens of Versailles. 
   Thank you giant record conglomerates!! Even if you are run by soulless number-crunching suits, you have done me an incredible service.    In the long run unbridled capitalism will probably turn out to be a great evil, but for the present I count myself a pretty big fan :P
It's all good...

king ubu

Quote from: Mookalafalas on November 03, 2015, 02:33:56 AM
  I've said it several times before, but those of us fairly new to classical music can count ourselves incredibly lucky!! By a wild stroke of luck this box mania has been sprung, allowing us to collect the musical treasures of the past for a tiny fraction of what enthusiasts had to pay up until now. 
   My main regret is that I don't have enough time to listen to all of the great stuff I have. As far as regrets go, that is a pretty sweet one 8)
     I feel like a butterfly that was blown from the middle of the Sahara into the gardens of Versailles. 
   Thank you giant record conglomerates!! Even if you are run by soulless number-crunching suits, you have done me an incredible service.    In the long run unbridled capitalism will probably turn out to be a great evil, but for the present I count myself a pretty big fan :P

That sums it up nicely! I'm all with you there ... and my days would need around 100 hours or so in order to keep up. But then I'm building my own personal library and I'm going to enjoy all of these recordings for years to come!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

North Star

Quote from: Mookalafalas on November 03, 2015, 02:33:56 AM
Where are Peter and Ken? :'( :'(
  Blathering about boxes is less fun without the old kings...

Ken left in a huff. I hope Peter will resurface.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Another Carlos

Hello, new arrival in this whole forum, and I hope to see this thread continue.  Such a wealth of wonderful boxed reissues out there -- and I'd been resisting the large boxes until recently.  But now I've succumbed and I've really got the bug!

Right now I'm happily listening to the set of Brendel's solo Vox/Turnabout/Vanguard recordings -- I'd never been especially interested in the later Brendel but I find plenty of live and energy in these earlier recordings.  Awaiting attention is the 40-disc Alfred Cortot "Anniversary Edition," plus the EMI Schubert Lieder on Record set.

Please, I'd love any tips on finding the Sony Bernstein "Symphony Edition" at a reasonable price.  I've ordered volume 2 (with the concerti and non-symphony orchestral works) and am eagerly awaiting it -- but the symphony box seems pretty pricey these days.  I know the various Amazons, and importcds.com, and Presto and MDT . . . any other promising sites? 

Cheers and happy listening.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Another Carlos on November 20, 2015, 11:01:19 PM
Hello, new arrival in this whole forum, and I hope to see this thread continue.  Such a wealth of wonderful boxed reissues out there -- and I'd been resisting the large boxes until recently.  But now I've succumbed and I've really got the bug!

Right now I'm happily listening to the set of Brendel's solo Vox/Turnabout/Vanguard recordings -- I'd never been especially interested in the later Brendel but I find plenty of live and energy in these earlier recordings.  Awaiting attention is the 40-disc Alfred Cortot "Anniversary Edition," plus the EMI Schubert Lieder on Record set.

Please, I'd love any tips on finding the Sony Bernstein "Symphony Edition" at a reasonable price.  I've ordered volume 2 (with the concerti and non-symphony orchestral works) and am eagerly awaiting it -- but the symphony box seems pretty pricey these days.  I know the various Amazons, and importcds.com, and Presto and MDT . . . any other promising sites? 

Cheers and happy listening.

Hi Carlos, and welcome!   I had no idea the original Columbia symphony edition price had shot up like that.  It was always cheap when it was in print.  The DG symphony Edition might be a pretty good substitute...
It's all good...

Another Carlos

Thanks Mookalafalas!   Yes, I've thought about the DG set, and I might very wind up getting it eventually.  But at this point I'm very attracted to the NYPO Mahler set in its so-called Carnegie Hall remastering, which is what I gather one gets with the Sony set.  Plus I have the general impression that Bernstein's younger-self renditions of most of the repertoire were sharper, more aggressive than his older-self versions, which appeals to me.  Do you have both sets?   ;)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Another Carlos on November 21, 2015, 11:43:44 PM
Thanks Mookalafalas!   Yes, I've thought about the DG set, and I might very wind up getting it eventually.  But at this point I'm very attracted to the NYPO Mahler set in its so-called Carnegie Hall remastering, which is what I gather one gets with the Sony set.  Plus I have the general impression that Bernstein's younger-self renditions of most of the repertoire were sharper, more aggressive than his older-self versions, which appeals to me.  Do you have both sets?   ;)

Yeah, I have both.  Both are pretty damned good. If I had to have just one, it would be the New York.  The orchestra in the DG set has a fatter, richer, sound, but "sharper, more aggressive" sums up the NY pretty well.
   My problem is that I have about 80 box sets (literally) that I think are really good ;D I want to play everything, but...
It's all good...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mookalafalas on November 22, 2015, 12:22:17 AMMy problem is that I have about 80 box sets (literally) that I think are really good ;D I want to play everything, but...

Are any of those boxes the 'complete editions' of Rachmaninov on Brilliant Classics or Decca per chance?