Carlo Domeniconi (1947-)

Started by Franco_Manitobain, April 27, 2023, 04:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco_Manitobain

I figured there wasn't a composer thread dedicated to Carlo Domeniconi, so I thought I would create one.  He was born in Italy in 1947 and primarily known as a classical guitar composer and performer.

His most famous and absolutely stunning work is the Koyunbaba Suite, Op. 19, composed in 1985.  It seems now almost a guarenteed repertoire staple and 'right of passage' for any serious classical guitar player to perform and record at some point in their career.

What makes some of Domeniconi's music quite interesting is his mixture of Western and Eastern influences (especially Turkish).

Anyway, along with Koyunbaba, I really enjoy the Variations on an Anatolian Folk Song, Op. 15 and the Don Quijote Suite, Op. 123 from what I have heard so far.  Also great are Trilogy, Toccata in Blue and the Chaconne.

These two recordings were recommended highly by esteemed members @Bachtoven and @Dry Brett Kavanaugh and they are terrific!

Franco_Manitobain

Please feel free to recommend other Domeniconi recordings and your favourite works of his.  :)

Franco_Manitobain

He wrote a lot of music!  Yes, mostly and mainly for the guitar.  However, a lot of flute music as well (solo or in combination with guitar), but I'm not familiar with it.

Looks like his website hasn't been updated in awhile, and the Wikipedia page is not extensive and comprehensive.

His website lists it is last updated January 2010, and he was up to Op. 156 at that point.

Carlo Domeniconi Website

Franco_Manitobain

I know this recording has been mentioned (with a mixed review).  Composition perhaps a mixed bag but the performance being excellent. 

Franco_Manitobain

This one looks very interesting and is on my wishlist. It seems to be a combination of instruments I really love -  Music for guitar and mandolin:

Bachtoven

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on April 27, 2023, 04:51:52 AMI know this recording has been mentioned (with a mixed review).  Composition perhaps a mixed bag but the performance being excellent. 

It's starting to grow on me! Oh yes, there is some mind-boggling playing. It's in 7 cycles--for me it works better to listen to just one or two at a time. I certainly don't want to dissuade anyone from trying it. If you can stream audio, that might be a good way to go at first.

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: Bachtoven on April 27, 2023, 07:15:42 AMIt's starting to grow on me! Oh yes, there is some mind-boggling playing. It's in 7 cycles--for me it works better to listen to just one or two at a time. I certainly don't want to dissuade anyone from trying it. If you can stream audio, that might be a good way to go at first.

Okay, good to know this!  :)

Opus131

I was going to make a thread about this composer but i figured i'd make a search to see if it already existed and it seems indeed it does.

So i'm just going to limit myself to bump this thread by posting a couple of videos of the composer himself performing some of his works:

Scion7

I don't have the updated Grove - biographies online of this composer are somewhat thin.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."