Author Topic: Vaughan Williams's Veranda  (Read 750581 times)

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
Re: Vaughan Williams's Veranda
« Reply #5100 on: July 07, 2021, 04:22:28 PM »
A special head-nod and high-five for Riders to the Sea --- a haunting, brooding opera that I think I may very well prefer to any of the other operas I’ve heard (i. e. Sir John in Love, The Poisoned Kiss and The Pilgrim’s Progress).

Riders to the Sea is brilliant.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Béla Bartók (1881 - 1945)
    Romantic Era through the 20th Century
« Reply #5101 on: July 07, 2021, 04:30:25 PM »
Riders to the Sea is brilliant.

Indeed! I should revisit it at some juncture.
“Competitions are for horses; not artists.” - Béla Bartók

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #5102 on: July 08, 2021, 02:41:38 AM »
I agree but the CD I posted above ('Epithalamion' etc) is very special - also the booklet features a great painting of VW!

A great picture! I will seek this out.

VS
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #5103 on: July 08, 2021, 03:51:37 AM »
A great picture! I will seek this out.

VS
Excellent!  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #5104 on: July 20, 2021, 11:05:12 PM »
I'm listening to the fascinating Cincinnati SO/Eugene Goossens recording of 'A London Symphony' and greatly enjoying it. It's rather faster than usual (transferred from 78 RPM discs) but most importantly it was the first CD release of the 1920 version which included the 'missing' sections excised in 1936. I also came across a letter from VW to that great anglophile Bernard Herrmann, apparently inviting him and the then Mrs Herrmann over to tea (It's difficult to read VW's writing) and, in the details below a reference to Herrmann complaining about VW's removal of his favourite section from the slow movement:
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16761/lot/214/

The CD also contains a v successful transfer IMO of VW's own recording of his 4th Symphony, recorded in 1937.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 11:10:01 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #5105 on: July 21, 2021, 02:41:59 AM »
I'm listening to the fascinating Cincinnati SO/Eugene Goossens recording of 'A London Symphony' and greatly enjoying it. It's rather faster than usual (transferred from 78 RPM discs) but most importantly it was the first CD release of the 1920 version which included the 'missing' sections excised in 1936. I also came across a letter from VW to that great anglophile Bernard Herrmann, apparently inviting him and the then Mrs Herrmann over to tea (It's difficult to read VW's writing) and, in the details below a reference to Herrmann complaining about VW's removal of his favourite section from the slow movement:
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16761/lot/214/

The CD also contains a v successful transfer IMO of VW's own recording of his 4th Symphony, recorded in 1937.

Some great restorations on KlassicHaus including real rarities.  I must admit for this kind of 'vintage' restoration I'm happy to have FLAC files rather than hard-copy CD's.  For some reason this RVW is only offered as a CD by KlassicHaus (but the online sample sounds very fine...)  These are the people to approach for high quality transfers of the Downes/Bax 3 and the Tjeknavorian/Khatchaturian 1.........

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #5106 on: July 21, 2021, 03:16:33 AM »
Some great restorations on KlassicHaus including real rarities.  I must admit for this kind of 'vintage' restoration I'm happy to have FLAC files rather than hard-copy CD's.  For some reason this RVW is only offered as a CD by KlassicHaus (but the online sample sounds very fine...)  These are the people to approach for high quality transfers of the Downes/Bax 3 and the Tjeknavorian/Khatchaturian 1.........

I've already done that Re: Bax but there were huge problems about it I remember. Lyrita were interested at one time as Downes's son was a big chief down there. When I was communicating with him about it I had no idea who he was, having not put 2 + 2 together  ::).

PS Gruner-Hegg's unrivalled recording of Klaus Egge's 1st Symphony would be another candidate.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 03:18:27 AM by vandermolen »