Author Topic: William Byrd's Perch  (Read 12321 times)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
Re: William Byrd's Perch
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2021, 12:44:43 PM »
I just ordered the Songs of Sundrie Natures disc with the Hilliard Ensemble on EMI. Excited to explore it. I have their recording of the masses which is also quite fine.

By the way, listening to Kit Armstrong talk about Byrd on the Gramophone podcast a few months ago was quite fascinating. Guy knows his stuff. I'm not particularly interested in hearing this music played on piano, but perhaps I ought to check out his new record. To contribute to the Byrd on piano discussion, Glenn Gould has a classic disc with some Byrd:

Quite good as far as this stuff goes.

Thanks all for the comments on Armstrong - I listened to the 2-CD package on Spotify yesterday (would like to do again w/ headphones on - have to keep the volume down if SWAMBO is around -  :laugh:) - enjoyed his performance.  Dave :)

Offline DaveF

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2021, 01:20:46 PM »
Also yesterday, I visited BRO and perused their Byrd offerings - selected the 4 below for potential purchase but suspect the Chandos recording overlaps one or more of the Hyperion discs - for you Byrdians, which of these are worth a buy and any to eliminate?  Thanks.  Dave :)

I don't know the Chandos, but from looking at the track listings there are only 3 pieces that also appear on the 2 Hyperion discs - Hæc dies, Miserere and Domine salva nos.  In any case, they will probably sound quite different in performances by an English college choir and a OVPP professional ensemble.

The Cardinalls' version of The Great Service is pretty good, I believe - it's transposed up the standard minor 3rd which, notwithstanding my advocacy of Simon Ravens' low-pitch version above, really does bring out the contrasts between low and high scoring in different passages.  I say 'I believe' because, to my surprise, I find I don't have a copy of it.  My reference recording is another Hyperion, the Westminster Abbey Choir with James O'Donnell - a bigger band altogether than the Cardinalls.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2021, 01:42:49 PM »
I don't know the Chandos, but from looking at the track listings there are only 3 pieces that also appear on the 2 Hyperion discs - Hæc dies, Miserere and Domine salva nos.  In any case, they will probably sound quite different in performances by an English college choir and a OVPP professional ensemble.

The Cardinalls' version of The Great Service is pretty good, I believe - it's transposed up the standard minor 3rd which, notwithstanding my advocacy of Simon Ravens' low-pitch version above, really does bring out the contrasts between low and high scoring in different passages.  I say 'I believe' because, to my surprise, I find I don't have a copy of it.  My reference recording is another Hyperion, the Westminster Abbey Choir with James O'Donnell - a bigger band altogether than the Cardinalls.

Thanks DaveF for the comments - I put in the order for all 4 CDs (just $8 each @ BRO) - I'll do some comparative listening and decide if I want to keep all or possibly discard one?  Dave :)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2021, 06:27:16 PM »
I was forgetting one of the best, the Naxos CD with Rose Consort and Red Byrd and Tessa Bonner.

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.550604
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen