sir Malcolm Arnold

Started by Thom, April 12, 2007, 10:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: kyjo on April 06, 2021, 06:50:01 AM
I'll have to give it another chance due to your enthusiasm! ;)

My memory is that YOUR memory is right Kyjo!  I seem to recall that the original version of the work was withdrawn and that it needed a lot to create what is called the "performing edition" on the Wallfisch/Naxos recording.

vandermolen

Douglas Bostock doesn't get much praise here but I agree with this review of his (inexpensive), newly re-issued, recording of the 5th Symphony and shorter works (the St Trinians music is great fun and I like the short Mosolov-like work 'Machines' which is included but not mentioned on the front of the CD):
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Apr/Arnold-sy5-ALC1424.htm
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: vandermolen on April 28, 2021, 09:25:52 PM
Douglas Bostock doesn't get much praise here but I agree with this review of his (inexpensive), newly re-issued, recording of the 5th Symphony and shorter works (the St Trinians music is great fun and I like the short Mosolov-like work 'Machines' which is included but not mentioned on the front of the CD):

This fine disc is also found as no 9 from this set:

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 29, 2021, 08:05:50 AM
This fine disc is also found as no 9 from this set:

One of the best in the set I think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on April 28, 2021, 09:25:52 PM

I am a complete novice re: Malcolm Arnold, so am not only grateful for this thread, but for the recommendation of this as a starting point to his work. I'm listening for the second time this morning after an insomniacs intro in the wee small hours earlier. No idea how he is utterly new to me, but it is a great listen so far. I've been in Joly Braga Santos yesterday, so finding this another accessible pleasure.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Roasted Swan

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 06, 2021, 02:00:00 AM
I am a complete novice re: Malcolm Arnold, so am not only grateful for this thread, but for the recommendation of this as a starting point to his work. I'm listening for the second time this morning after an insomniacs intro in the wee small hours earlier. No idea how he is utterly new to me, but it is a great listen so far. I've been in Joly Braga Santos yesterday, so finding this another accessible pleasure.

Two great composers who are accessible but NOT shallow.  As mentioned elsewhere Arnold conducting Arnold is especially revelatory.  Almost as if the mood swings are even more pronounced when he is conducting.  Of course Arnold did suffer from mental health issues himself so perhaps not such a surprise that he knowingly or otherwise emphasised that side of his own work......

foxandpeng

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 06, 2021, 03:24:25 AM
Two great composers who are accessible but NOT shallow.  As mentioned elsewhere Arnold conducting Arnold is especially revelatory.  Almost as if the mood swings are even more pronounced when he is conducting.  Of course Arnold did suffer from mental health issues himself so perhaps not such a surprise that he knowingly or otherwise emphasised that side of his own work......

Agreed. I've read back through the entire Arnold thread over the last day, and have learned a great deal. I suspect that this week I have something of an immersive journey ahead in making my way through the various cycles of symphonies, but look forward to it immensely. It seems each has high points, but I will be particularly looking out for Arnold himself. I do also want to watch the Palmer film, despite the stated caveats.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 06, 2021, 02:00:00 AM
I'd say that was a good starting point for MA. As for Braga-Santos, I think that symphonies 1-4 are terrific. You could also pick up a boxed set of the (MA) symphonies relatively cheaply. These are both good starting points. I like the combination of symphonies 1 and 5 on a single disc:

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on May 06, 2021, 09:27:57 AM
I'd say that was a good starting point for MA. As for Braga-Santos, I think that symphonies 1-4 are terrific. You could also pick up a boxed set of the symphonies relatively cheaply. These are both good starting points. I like the combinstion of symphonies 1 and 5 on a single disc:
[/img]

I will make that part of my priority listening, thank you! I've gone through 1-5 today in the Chandos/Hickox set, which has been a good beginning. I look forward to hearing more :-)

The Braga Santos symphonies have been longstanding favourites, so I've had a tuneful couple of days on the whole.

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

I've been in Symphony 2 this morning with the Hickox and Handley versions, and have found it pretty satisfying, to be honest. I have to say that I prefer the Hickox version here, particularly in the Lento, which carries a gravity that I think is lacking in the Handley. There are hints of what I enjoy in Pettersson 7 which aren't as apparent for me in Handley. Probably my novice status speaking.

I think there is something significant to be said for hearing the composer conducting his own work, however. The Warner Classics release may not be as well produced, but surely Arnold's own interpretation can't be discounted as a lens to how this piece was meant to feel. Hickox still wins, so far, for me though.

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 07, 2021, 03:16:44 AM
I've been in Symphony 2 this morning with the Hickox and Handley versions, and have found it pretty satisfying, to be honest. I have to say that I prefer the Hickox version here, particularly in the Lento, which carries a gravity that I think is lacking in the Handley. There are hints of what I enjoy in Pettersson 7 which aren't as apparent for me in Handley. Probably my novice status speaking.

I think there is something significant to be said for hearing the composer conducting his own work, however. The Warner Classics release may not be as well produced, but surely Arnold's own interpretation can't be discounted as a lens to how this piece was meant to feel. Hickox still wins, so far, for me though.

Have you heard the Penny performance on Naxos? It's quite good, too.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 08, 2021, 07:49:49 PM

+1 for the Penny cycle in general.  The NSO Ireland was also the orchestra used in the Palmer documentary (for what that's worth)

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 08, 2021, 07:49:49 PM

I've grabbed them for listening during the coming week. Heard the 2nd today, back to back with the Hickox, and enjoyed the real immediacy of the recording. I'm not sure I'm sufficiently musically literate to describe what I'm hearing, but it's certainly worth having alongside the others. As most of the movement timings are very similar, it is harder to separate them by preference.

Hearing 2 so much in the last week has made me appreciate Arnold as a composer. Lots more listening to the 3 cycles for the week ahead.

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 08, 2021, 10:56:07 PM
+1 for the Penny cycle in general.  The NSO Ireland was also the orchestra used in the Palmer documentary (for what that's worth)

Ah, very nice. I wasn't aware of that this orchestra was used on that documentary ---- cool, you learn something new every day.

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 09, 2021, 03:57:37 PM
I've grabbed them for listening during the coming week. Heard the 2nd today, back to back with the Hickox, and enjoyed the real immediacy of the recording. I'm not sure I'm sufficiently musically literate to describe what I'm hearing, but it's certainly worth having alongside the others. As most of the movement timings are very similar, it is harder to separate them by preference.

Hearing 2 so much in the last week has made me appreciate Arnold as a composer. Lots more listening to the 3 cycles for the week ahead.

Very nice. I need to get back to Arnold at some juncture.

Roasted Swan

Finally got round to listening to the BBC Music Magazine cover disc of the Arnold 2nd & 4th Symphonies.  Very well played by the BBC Concert Orchestra as expected but rather underwhelmed by both performances.  They seem to emphasise the whimiscal character of both works and miss the darker element almost completely.  Most apparent in the slow movement of No.2 and the sharp emotional contrasts of the open movement of No.4. Both performances feel rather superficial.....

kyjo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 26, 2021, 03:03:00 AM
Finally got round to listening to the BBC Music Magazine cover disc of the Arnold 2nd & 4th Symphonies.  Very well played by the BBC Concert Orchestra as expected but rather underwhelmed by both performances.  They seem to emphasise the whimiscal character of both works and miss the darker element almost completely.  Most apparent in the slow movement of No.2 and the sharp emotional contrasts of the open movement of No.4. Both performances feel rather superficial.....

Who's conducting?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Roasted Swan

Quote from: kyjo on May 26, 2021, 03:19:31 AM
Who's conducting?

Barry Wordsworth in No.2 & Keith Lockhart in No.4.  I used to dep with the BBC CO and they are both very good conductors - just not "under the skin" of these works....

André

Arnold is the man for symphony no 4. It's on Lyrita. Dark and tragic.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: André on May 26, 2021, 05:20:48 AM
Arnold is the man for symphony no 4. It's on Lyrita. Dark and tragic.

It could be argued Arnold almost goes too far the other way - no whimsy just doom!