Author Topic: sir Malcolm Arnold  (Read 75832 times)

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: sir Malcolm Arnold
« Reply #540 on: May 26, 2021, 08:32:46 AM »
That’s why he’s essential ! No Arnold, not enough doom !

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #541 on: May 26, 2021, 09:02:32 AM »
That’s why he’s essential ! No Arnold, not enough doom !

One for the UK readers.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNNRL_IB9m0

Offline foxandpeng

• Currently Listening to:
    Mostly post-1900. Brits. Northern Europeans. Others.
« Reply #542 on: June 04, 2021, 05:50:49 AM »
Listening to Symphony 8 this morning, and the recurring melody in the first movement is now firmly stuck in my head and driving me nuts because every time I hear it, I'm unable to place what he is quoting.

Is this just pure Arnold, or is there a hymn refrain or particular piece he is referencing from elsewhere?

Also, would this recurrence be correctly described as an ostinato?

TIA 😁
The poster formerly known as Pencils...

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #543 on: June 04, 2021, 06:57:04 AM »
Listening to Symphony 8 this morning, and the recurring melody in the first movement is now firmly stuck in my head and driving me nuts because every time I hear it, I'm unable to place what he is quoting.

Is this just pure Arnold, or is there a hymn refrain or particular piece he is referencing from elsewhere?

Also, would this recurrence be correctly described as an ostinato?

TIA 😁

If its the little "whistleable tune" - the tune itself is a lift from his own filmscore for "The Reckoning"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Reckoning_(1970_film)#:~:text=The%20Reckoning%20is%20a%201969,features%20music%20by%20Malcolm%20Arnold.

Arnold lifts the melody exactly as is from film to symphony and in which there is an undercurrent of "Irish Pride"  and violence which led some commentators to infer an Irish Nationalist sympathy in Arnold's choice of melodic style - something he denied.  Piers Burton-Page in his book "Philharmonic Concerto - The Life & Music of Sir Malcolm Arnold" explains this in greater detail.  Certainly there would seem to be an undercurrent of 'meaning' to Arnold's creation of such a catchy ditty of a melody......

Offline foxandpeng

« Reply #544 on: June 04, 2021, 11:47:20 AM »
If its the little "whistleable tune" - the tune itself is a lift from his own filmscore for "The Reckoning"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Reckoning_(1970_film)#:~:text=The%20Reckoning%20is%20a%201969,features%20music%20by%20Malcolm%20Arnold.

Arnold lifts the melody exactly as is from film to symphony and in which there is an undercurrent of "Irish Pride"  and violence which led some commentators to infer an Irish Nationalist sympathy in Arnold's choice of melodic style - something he denied.  Piers Burton-Page in his book "Philharmonic Concerto - The Life & Music of Sir Malcolm Arnold" explains this in greater detail.  Certainly there would seem to be an undercurrent of 'meaning' to Arnold's creation of such a catchy ditty of a melody......

That's really interesting, thank you 😊. I have come to greatly appreciate Arnold's symphonies and information like this adds another layer again.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #545 on: June 04, 2021, 03:12:08 PM »
Very interesting and pertinent indeed. Thanks, RS !

Online kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #546 on: June 04, 2021, 07:06:32 PM »
Once again I'm enamored by the majesty, warmth, and color of Arnold's Homage to the Queen ballet music:

This whole disc is fantastic, but Homage to the Queen is the standout for me. One of my favorite works by Arnold.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #547 on: June 04, 2021, 09:11:43 PM »
My brother (who was at university with Arnold's son Bob) forwarded me this amusing anecdote from Arnold's obituary:

'While listening to his first symphony on R3’s Afternoon Concert I looked up Malcolm Arnold – clearly a very erratic character – online and found his Guardian obituary, which included this pleasing reminiscence from the obituarist:

In a concert in Manchester in the late 1960s, I boldly led the trombone section of the BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra (now the BBC Philharmonic) into the chords at the end of Tchaikovsky's Hamlet four bars too late, so that as Arnold finished conducting the piece, we carried on. He thought this was great fun, raised his baton again and continued to conduct with exaggerated gestures until we were done, finishing with as tragic an expression as he could manage through his stifled laughter.'

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline foxandpeng

« Reply #548 on: June 06, 2021, 02:38:22 AM »
My brother (who was at university with Arnold's son Bob) forwarded me this amusing anecdote from Arnold's obituary:

'While listening to his first symphony on R3’s Afternoon Concert I looked up Malcolm Arnold – clearly a very erratic character – online and found his Guardian obituary, which included this pleasing reminiscence from the obituarist:

In a concert in Manchester in the late 1960s, I boldly led the trombone section of the BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra (now the BBC Philharmonic) into the chords at the end of Tchaikovsky's Hamlet four bars too late, so that as Arnold finished conducting the piece, we carried on. He thought this was great fun, raised his baton again and continued to conduct with exaggerated gestures until we were done, finishing with as tragic an expression as he could manage through his stifled laughter.'

He seems to have been massively colourful, with all of the extremes that brought with it. Reminiscent of Ted Hughes in some regards - similarly complex, profoundly memorable, but undoubtedly difficult for those close to him.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #549 on: June 06, 2021, 03:24:27 AM »
He seems to have been massively colourful, with all of the extremes that brought with it. Reminiscent of Ted Hughes in some regards - similarly complex, profoundly memorable, but undoubtedly difficult for those close to him.
Yes, I'm sure you are right.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #550 on: June 06, 2021, 01:45:01 PM »
Once again I'm enamored by the majesty, warmth, and color of Arnold's Homage to the Queen ballet music:

This whole disc is fantastic, but Homage to the Queen is the standout for me. One of my favorite works by Arnold.

The complete ballet was one of my latest revelations by this composer:

It's in very good mono.
«Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music.»

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Online kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #551 on: June 08, 2021, 07:09:15 PM »
The complete ballet was one of my latest revelations by this composer:

It's in very good mono.

I greatly look forward to hearing the whole ballet!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #552 on: June 09, 2021, 05:04:56 AM »

What a charming story!  :laugh:

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #553 on: June 09, 2021, 10:42:37 PM »
What a charming story!  :laugh:
Yes, it made me laugh too!