sir Malcolm Arnold

Started by Thom, April 12, 2007, 10:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

I recall this CD caused quite a stir on release early 90's among the audiophile fraternity. Top-notch sound and used extensively for demo at hi-fi shows of the period.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

André

Quote from: Irons on October 08, 2019, 11:32:31 PM
I recall this CD caused quite a stir on release early 90's among the audiophile fraternity. Top-notch sound and used extensively for demo at hi-fi shows of the period.

My favourite Arnold disc !

relm1

I have that disc - it sold me on my very expensive stereo it sounded so amazing! 

Carshot

Since my first post in September I have been immersing myself in the wonderful music of Malcolm Arnold. "Rogue Genius" by Meredith and Harris is a fascinating and riveting account of his life and work and well worth reading. Has anyone here read the Paul Jackson biog? I was lucky to find a copy at a reasonable price. The CD of Malcolm conducting his own overtures is as good as those who recommended it here said, and more. Another CD I play constantly is the EMI Bournemouth Sinfonietta one recorded in the 1980's, including original performers (Richard Adeney, flute and John Wallace, trumpet) showing how it should be done. Of the symphonies I prefer the Vernon Handley recordings but we are lucky to have several good recordings to listen to. The Hyperion chamber music albums are also great

vandermolen

Quote from: Carshot on November 20, 2019, 02:01:27 AM
Since my first post in September I have been immersing myself in the wonderful music of Malcolm Arnold. "Rogue Genius" by Meredith and Harris is a fascinating and riveting account of his life and work and well worth reading. Has anyone here read the Paul Jackson biog? I was lucky to find a copy at a reasonable price. The CD of Malcolm conducting his own overtures is as good as those who recommended it here said, and more. Another CD I play constantly is the EMI Bournemouth Sinfonietta one recorded in the 1980's, including original performers (Richard Adeney, flute and John Wallace, trumpet) showing how it should be done. Of the symphonies I prefer the Vernon Handley recordings but we are lucky to have several good recordings to listen to. The Hyperion chamber music albums are also great
He was 'Composer of the Week' on BBC Radio 3 recently.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on November 20, 2019, 04:53:30 AM

Thank you for that heads-up, Jeffrey. Downloading the podcasts on BBC sounds now.

I listened to the Rubbra shortened version recently, that was really good.
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 20, 2019, 05:27:50 AM
Thank you for that heads-up, Jeffrey. Downloading the podcasts on BBC sounds now.

I listened to the Rubbra shortened version recently, that was really good.

My pleasure Olivier  :)
The bits and pieces from the programmes that I heard in my car sounded really interesting, including the slow movement from Symphony No.2 My brother was at university with his son.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: Carshot on November 20, 2019, 02:01:27 AM

I came across Arnold's symphonies 1 - 6 on three Chandos CD's by Hickox at a price too good not to buy. I am slowly working my way through the set and find Arnold difficult to evaluate. His music is never dull, quite the opposite, you will never drop off listening to an Arnold symphony. But I do ask myself for all the surface polish do they have depth? I actually think they do and up to 4 I enjoyed 2 and 3 with 5 and 6 to come. Sometimes I find there is too much for effect - he overeggs the pudding. There is a mighty cymbal crash and I think what is the reason for that.
I do not always like the Chandos sound but this set is the best I have heard from the label.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Irons on November 20, 2019, 06:56:54 AMI came across Arnold's symphonies 1 - 6 on three Chandos CD's by Hickox at a price too good not to buy. I am slowly working my way through the set and find Arnold difficult to evaluate. His music is never dull, quite the opposite, you will never drop off listening to an Arnold symphony. But I do ask myself for all the surface polish do they have depth? I actually think they do and up to 4 I enjoyed 2 and 3 with 5 and 6 to come. Sometimes I find there is too much for effect - he overeggs the pudding. There is a mighty cymbal crash and I think what is the reason for that.
I do not always like the Chandos sound but this set is the best I have heard from the label.

His Symphony No. 9 is his most personal work and my favorite of his symphonies. I can take or leave most of his other music, though.

Irons

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 20, 2019, 07:01:04 AM
His Symphony No. 9 is his most personal work and my favorite of his symphonies. I can take or leave most of his other music, though.

I have a little way to go before the 9th but I will certainly bear your heads up in mind.

vandermolen

My favourites are 1,5 and 6. I recall enjoying No.9 on Naxos and must give it another listen to.

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on November 20, 2019, 04:53:30 AM

I listened to the one-hour summary version this afternoon. Contrasting to say the least... a man with his demons, drinking & mental health issues, his history of repeated domestic violence....and the same man composing such ironic and goofy music with hoovers and polisher... IIRC the liner notes of the Penny cycle made mentions of that "contrasting character" but the extent of it in this programme is quite a shock.
Olivier

André

Speaking of the man's contrasts and personal demons, the 7th symphony is a work of great mental turmoil and anguish. It is quite an emotional ride. Written in 3 movements, Arnold dedicated it to his 3 children. If I was one of the dedicatees I'd wonder if my dad really loved me.

Carshot

Malcolm Arnold's family suffered from both poor mental health and bad luck. Two aunts ended their days in an asylum, one committing suicide. A brother was lost in combat in WW2. A brother and sister died as young adults from cancer. A brother and his wife committed suicide. At least one cousin committed suicide. Malcolm suffered from schizophrenia and manic depression and who knows what else. Friends suspected he had had a lobotomy at some stage. He spent long periods in institutions' receiving at times massive insulin doses and electric shock treatment. None of this excuses the appalling way he treated a number of people but it helps to understand. As I mentioned above the book "Rogue Genius" covers all of this and how it found expression in his life and his music. Another good resource is Tony Palmer's biographical film "Toward the Unknown Region", a Story of Survival available on DVD.

Maestro267

Quote from: Carshot on November 22, 2019, 10:29:10 AM
Another good resource is Tony Palmer's biographical film "Toward the Unknown Region", a Story of Survival available on DVD.

I'm pretty sure that's the title for Palmer's film on Vaughan Williams. Unless it also happens to cover Arnold as well, in which case I'm prepared to stand corrected.

Carshot

Just double checked, the Vaughan Williams one is "O Thou Transcendent"

Maestro267

Ah yes! That's it! My bad.

I did borrow Rogue Genius from a library a few years ago. Fascinating read, and it goes into a bit of analysis/detail of the works themselves, which is something I'm personally very interested in.

Papy Oli

Malcolm Arnold's family suffered from both poor mental health and bad luck. Two aunts ended their days in an asylum, one committing suicide. A brother was lost in combat in WW2. A brother and sister died as young adults from cancer. A brother and his wife committed suicide. At least one cousin committed suicide. Malcolm suffered from schizophrenia and manic depression and who knows what else. Friends suspected he had had a lobotomy at some stage. He spent long periods in institutions' receiving at times massive insulin doses and electric shock treatment. None of this excuses the appalling way he treated a number of people but it helps to understand. As I mentioned above the book "Rogue Genius" covers all of this and how it found expression in his life and his music. Another good resource is Tony Palmer's biographical film "Toward the Unknown Region", a Story of Survival available on DVD.

Thank you for the additional information, Carshot. So, even the radio programme was tame in its telling of the story. Will have to look up that book.
Olivier

Symphonic Addict

What an interesting and tragic reading. It offers much more contextual information about the great man and his oeuvre.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

relm1

What's your point?  Lots of people had poor mental health and bad luck.