sir Malcolm Arnold

Started by Thom, April 12, 2007, 10:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

It is interesting to me that while Arnold was alive, I generally thought of him as being a lightweight, pop culture composer too interested in flamboyance and flash rather than depth.  Now I think the opposite, he is a dark and troubled composer who sometimes had moments of jollity.  It isn't so much that I am better acquainted with his works now than I was in my youth as I heard all his symphonies except no. 9 by the late 1980's and when I heard the No. 9, I found it underwhelming wishing for a more climactic or conclusive rather than ambiguous finale.  Now, I think I understand his music much better and hear the subtle rage, darkness, and bitterness but also the complexity and profundity I missed earlier.  Don't get me wrong, I always enjoyed his music but for vastly different reasons now.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: André on December 07, 2019, 09:14:07 AM
That live performance of the 7th (available on youtube) is jaw dropping. I didn't make it an outright recommendation because I think the 7th is Arnold's bleakest, angriest, most pessimistic work. It certainly sounds like that under him. So, not an entry point into his art, both as a composer and conductor, and of course not as technically excellent as the Lyrita, EMI, Reference and Everest discs he recorded. When I heard it it prompted me to listen to the other 3 recordings of the works I have. I needed to be hear them through the prism of the composer's own performance.

Thankyou (belatedly!) for this post Andre - I will listen to this recording today.  As an aside - goodness me isn't the BBC a phenomenal resource for/supporter of music.  I put "Malcolm Arnold Symphony No.7" into YouTube and as well as this Arnold conducts Arnold (with the BBC SO) there's Groves with the BBC PO and Downes also with the BBC PO.  I've been listening to some broadcast Bax via YouTube recently as well and its just the same.

When we come out of the other side of this current crisis we must remember the Conservative/Boris Johnson's intention to destroy the BBC as we know it and not forget that in a wave of post-pandemic gratitude.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 20, 2020, 03:43:25 AM
Thankyou (belatedly!) for this post Andre - I will listen to this recording today.  As an aside - goodness me isn't the BBC a phenomenal resource for/supporter of music.  I put "Malcolm Arnold Symphony No.7" into YouTube and as well as this Arnold conducts Arnold (with the BBC SO) there's Groves with the BBC PO and Downes also with the BBC PO.  I've been listening to some broadcast Bax via YouTube recently as well and its just the same.

When we come out of the other side of this current crisis we must remember the Conservative/Boris Johnson's intention to destroy the BBC as we know it and not forget that in a wave of post-pandemic gratitude.
Such a good point!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

Damn, this is dark! (The 7th). That second movement is agonizing. Very well done I think. Great use of percussion and brass. Each of Arnold's symphonies that I've heard thus far are very unique from one another. He may have reinvented his whole symphonic idiom every time.

André

Arnold composed the 7th as a portrait of his children in three movements. Either the family was dysfunctional, or its paterfamilias had a weird sense of humor.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on April 20, 2020, 01:29:28 PM
Arnold composed the 7th as a portrait of his children in three movements. Either the family was dysfunctional, or its paterfamilias had a weird sense of humor.

Why not both?  :o
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 20, 2020, 02:47:45 PM
Why not both?  :o

I know nothing about the Arnold tribe, but I agree we can't exclude that possibility.

8)

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 20, 2020, 04:10:36 PM
I know nothing about the Arnold tribe, but I agree we can't exclude that possibility.

8)

I think that one of Arnold's children was severely autistic. My brother was at university with another one of Arnold's sons, Bob Arnold, who always turned up and sat very seriously in the audience whenever his father's music was performed.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Albion

Yes, his youngest son Edward is autistic and the 7th is a fantastic work, best heard in the Vernon Handley recording (Conifer, now Sony) rather than the too-hurried Rumon Gamba (Chandos), odd because Gamba's 2001 BBC broadcasts of 1-6 are perfectly judged!

Arnold's symphonic cycle as a whole ranks IMHO among the finest large-scale British contributions of the 20th century alongside RVW, Arnold Bax, Havergal Brian, Alun Hoddinott, Daniel Jones and Robert Simpson...

:)
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Christo

Quote from: Albion on April 21, 2020, 07:31:57 AM
Yes, his youngest son Edward is autistic and the 7th is a fantastic work, best heard in the Vernon Handley recording (Conifer, now Sony) rather than the too-hurried Rumon Gamba (Chandos), odd because Gamba's 2001 BBC broadcasts of 1-6 are perfectly judged!

Arnold's symphonic cycle as a whole ranks IMHO among the finest large-scale British contributions of the 20th century alongside RVW, Arnold Bax, Havergal Brian, Alun Hoddinott, Daniel Jones and Robert Simpson...
Totally agreed on all points, the Conifer/Handley it is. Another disappointing performance BTW - however much I admire him otherwise - is the one by Martin Yates with the Royal Scots on Dutton. A better choice makes Andrew Penny with the Irish NSO for Naxos, though Handley is a clear No. 1 in the Seventh.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Albion

I passed on the Dutton release, though the repertoire chosen for the disc couldn't be faulted: it just seemed rather redundant given the competition! Handley secures (to me) the best cycle of the whole 9, and it is odd indeed that Richard Hickox relinquished 7-9 to Gamba feeling that they didn't represent Arnold at his best (though his 1-6 are splendid)! Gamba's set is worthwhile if only for the lovely Oboe Concerto,Op.39 which is otherwise unavailable.

Andrew Penny is excellent as well (on Naxos), but anybody really interested in Arnold is urged to seek out the (sadly now deleted) boxes of symphonies (11, including those for strings and brass) and concertos (17 out of 20, minus those for oboe, trumpet and organ which can be found elsewhere) released by Decca in 2005.

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

vandermolen

+1 for Handley's cycle. His No.6 is special too but Hickox's was also good. Arnold's very slow recording of No.1 is my favourite recording of that fine work.

Coincidentally my brother just posted this extract:

The programming of a Malcolm Arnold concert on R3 got me looking up his Guardian obituary online, which was written by a trombonist. It includes an incident that he thought was symbolic of why Arnold was never made Master of the Queen's Music:

"... those who decide such matters must have realised that, with his leftish tendencies and unpredictable sense of humour, Arnold could not be relied on to maintain the necessary level of imperial bombast without doing something silly. In a concert in Manchester in the late 1960s, I boldly led the trombone section of the BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra (now the BBC Philharmonic) into the chords at the end of Tchaikovsky's Hamlet four bars too late, so that as Arnold finished conducting the piece, we carried on. He thought this was great fun, raised his baton again and continued to conduct with exaggerated gestures until we were done, finishing with as tragic an expression as he could manage through his stifled laughter "

relm1

Agreed that the Vernon Handley cycle is excellent but Arnold's own is the superior interpretation and his versions are far different than the others.  He tends to be hyper dramatic so his No. 3 is the darkest one I've heard, his No. 4 is the most epic I've heard, his No. 7 is the slowest I've heard, etc.  I don't think there is a recording of No. 8 and 9 from him though.

André

Quote from: relm1 on April 21, 2020, 04:14:32 PM
Agreed that the Vernon Handley cycle is excellent but Arnold's own is the superior interpretation and his versions are far different than the others.  He tends to be hyper dramatic so his No. 3 is the darkest one I've heard, his No. 4 is the most epic I've heard, his No. 7 is the slowest I've heard, etc.  I don't think there is a recording of No. 8 and 9 from him though.

For me Arnold's own interpretations are not only arresting, but truly revelatory. His account of the 7th brings the despair quotient to bleeding levels. And his 4th towers above all others IMO. Same with his disc of overtures (on the Reference label).

Alek Hidell

I've heard the Penny and Handley symphony cycles, but now you guys have given me a hankerin' to hear Arnold's own. But a cursory look suggests that the performances are not easy to find - several seem not to be available on CD at all. Maybe someone already said this, but did he conduct (i.e., record) all nine? Are they available in any kind of collection?
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

vandermolen

Quote from: Alek Hidell on April 21, 2020, 07:04:36 PM
I've heard the Penny and Handley symphony cycles, but now you guys have given me a hankerin' to hear Arnold's own. But a cursory look suggests that the performances are not easy to find - several seem not to be available on CD at all. Maybe someone already said this, but did he conduct (i.e., record) all nine? Are they available in any kind of collection?

This was a great album. The CD is absurdly priced on Amazon.com but you can get it as an MP3 download.
However, the CD with the blue cover is available much more cheaply and includes Arnold's unique performance of Symphony No.1. Tam O' Shanter and the double Piano Concerto are great fun as well, although the PC has its serious moments.

Christo

Quote from: relm1 on April 21, 2020, 04:14:32 PM
Fully agreed (again). Am happy to have them all, the Seventh - to answer Alek Hidell - only as a broadcast recording uploaded from the 'Art-Music Forum' as will have done most of us here. Still, my favourite remains the Fifth under Arnold himself (available in a couple of guises with EMI) - the one it all began with back in the 1970s (for me).  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Papy Oli

Quote from: Albion on April 21, 2020, 10:09:18 AM

Andrew Penny is excellent as well (on Naxos), but anybody really interested in Arnold is urged to seek out the (sadly now deleted) boxes of symphonies (11, including those for strings and brass) and concertos (17 out of 20, minus those for oboe, trumpet and organ which can be found elsewhere) released by Decca in 2005.

Just to check regarding Handley, the cycles with the Royal Phil Orch on the Sony Conifer recordings boxset and the Decca edition are one and the same, correct ? thank you.

Olivier

Albion

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 22, 2020, 02:19:04 AM
Just to check regarding Handley, the cycles with the Royal Phil Orch on the Sony Conifer recordings boxset and the Decca edition are one and the same, correct ? thank you.

Yes, they are the same recordings, although the concertos for guitar, harmonica and recorder (which were licensed to Decca) are not included. Even so a splendid and highly recommended bargain.

Papy Oli

Olivier