sir Malcolm Arnold

Started by Thom, April 12, 2007, 10:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 24, 2016, 08:00:17 AM
Don't know the guitar works well but totally agree about the symphonies. I must listen to No.9 again soon - the mahlerian last movement is especially affecting.

I listened earlier this morning and found it completely affecting indeed. The whole symphony is magnificent. I played the Andrew Penny recording on Naxos.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 24, 2016, 12:46:58 PM
I have two: Michael Conn and John Lubbock, label IMP,

and the compilation by Craig Ogden and Richard Hickox. on Chandos

I would say, go for the program !
Thanks Andre  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 24, 2016, 12:47:18 PM
I listened earlier this morning and found it completely affecting indeed. The whole symphony is magnificent. I played the Andrew Penny recording on Naxos.
That's the one I shall be playing after work today. :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 24, 2016, 10:10:01 PM
That's the one I shall be playing after work today. :)

Excellent! I listened to his Symphonies Nos. 5 & 6 (Penny) earlier and enjoyed them a lot. Symphony No. 5 has always been a favorite. That first movement always reminds me of being in a circus for some reason, but this circus turns to tragedy towards the end. Love it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on April 24, 2016, 12:46:58 PM

and the compilation by Craig Ogden and Richard Hickox. on Chandos

I would say, go for the program !

That's a very good disc indeed.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 25, 2016, 09:38:36 AM
Excellent! I listened to his Symphonies Nos. 5 & 6 (Penny) earlier and enjoyed them a lot. Symphony No. 5 has always been a favorite. That first movement always reminds me of being in a circus for some reason, but this circus turns to tragedy towards the end. Love it.
I've been sidetracked by phone calls so haven't been able to listen to No.9 yet. 5 and 6 are two of the best. I first got to know of Arnold's music through a fine old EMI LP of Arnold conducting Symphony 5. I first heard No.6 used in a rather disturbing sequence in the documentary about Arnold when it was used to depict his mental disintegration.
I treasure the programme that he signed for me at the concert I attended of his music in London many years ago.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2016, 12:57:55 PM
I've been sidetracked by phone calls so haven't been able to listen to No.9 yet. 5 and 6 are two of the best. I first got to know of Arnold's music through a fine old EMI LP of Arnold conducting Symphony 5. I first heard No.6 used in a rather disturbing sequence in the documentary about Arnold when it was used to depict his mental disintegration.
I treasure the programme that he signed for me at the concert I attended of his music in London many years ago.

Wow, that's so great you got to meet him! What do you think of Symphonies 7 & 8? I think I'll give these a spin tonight after a short Prokofiev-a-thon. 8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 25, 2016, 01:08:53 PM
Wow, that's so great you got to meet him! What do you think of Symphonies 7 & 8? I think I'll give these a spin tonight after a short Prokofiev-a-thon. 8)
No.7 is one of the greatest. I prefer the Vernon Handley version to the others. No.8 is enjoyable but not as good IMHO.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2016, 02:20:37 PM
No.7 is one of the greatest. I prefer the Vernon Handley version to the others. No.8 is enjoyable but not as good IMHO.

Thanks, Jeffrey. Here's a fair question for you (and everyone else), what is your favorite Arnold symphony cycle: Handley, Hickox/Gamba, or Penny?

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread:

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 25, 2016, 02:16:20 PM
Just bought:

What does everyone think of Arnold's chamber music? I'm quite interested in hearing more of it.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2016, 12:57:55 PM
I first heard No.6 used in a rather disturbing sequence in the documentary about Arnold when it was used to depict his mental disintegration.

That's curious, because I've always associated No. 7 with mental disintegration. Specifically, it sounds like the soundtrack to a nervous breakdown.

No. 6 is really interesting as a symphonic piece that manages to integrate jazz sounds & procedures without coming across as imitative or derivative.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on April 25, 2016, 03:11:59 PM
That's curious, because I've always associated No. 7 with mental disintegration. Specifically, it sounds like the soundtrack to a nervous breakdown.

No. 6 is really interesting as a symphonic piece that manages to integrate jazz sounds & procedures without coming across as imitative or derivative.

I know the 7th is a searing testimonial of neurosis, but the last movement of Arnold's 4th is pretty much the antithesis of sanity as well. :)

Scion7

Violin Sonata Nr.1 sprints along at a nice pace and is over before you tire of it.

The second Violin Sonata has a different sound. Lots of pizzicato. Some showy piano in it.

Piano Trio Op.54 is modernist-romantic, and sometimes dissonant - again, the piano technique is to the fore.

The Five Pieces for Violin and Piano Op.84 can be a little jazzy sounding in the 'perpetual movement' section.  The 'Ballad' is quite nice.

I like his clarinet pieces - his Fantasy for Solo Clarinet is melodious and is ripe for adapting to some larger combo - if it hasn't already been?  The Sonatina for Clarinet & Piano Op.29, Sonatina for Oboe & Piano, and the Suite Bourgeoise for Flute, Oboe and Piano would make for a tuneful recital.

Interesting music.  There's so much more I have not heard (yet).

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scion7 on April 25, 2016, 04:46:34 PM
Violin Sonata Nr.1 sprints along at a nice pace and is over before you tire of it.

The second Violin Sonata has a different sound. Lots of pizzicato. Some showy piano in it.

Piano Trio Op.54 is modernist-romantic, and sometimes dissonant - again, the piano technique is to the fore.

The Five Pieces for Violin and Piano Op.84 can be a little jazzy sounding in the 'perpetual movement' section.  The 'Ballad' is quite nice.

I like his clarinet pieces - his Fantasy for Solo Clarinet is melodious and is ripe for adapting to some larger combo - if it hasn't already been?  The Sonatina for Clarinet & Piano Op.29, Sonatina for Oboe & Piano, and the Suite Bourgeoise for Flute, Oboe and Piano would make for a tuneful recital.

Interesting music.  There's so much more I have not heard (yet).

Thanks for this, Scion7. I listened to Three Shanties, Op. 4 for wind quintet and enjoyed it a great deal. Coincidently, I listened to Violin Sonata No. 1, Op. 15 as well and thought it was great. This kind of got the ball rolling for me to check out recordings of his chamber music, which led to me buying those Nash Ensemble Hyperion recordings. I suppose I could have gone the Naxos route, but the Nash Ensemble have always been one of my favorite chamber groups.

BTW, what is your favorite Arnold symphony cycle: Handley, Hickox/Gamba, or Penny and why?

Scion7

I very rarely get duplicate sets of pieces - and wouldn't do that for Arnold's works.  I have BBC Phil/Gamba for Symphonies 7, 8 & 9,  and Arnold himself for Symphony No.1, 2 & 5 - for a song in the used bins in Charlotte.

Someday I'll have to go to YT and check out others.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Mirror Image

Some composers are worth acquiring more recordings and, for me, Arnold is one of those composers as his music can be approached in several different ways.

Mirror Image

Quote from: tjguitar on October 27, 2015, 05:22:16 PM
Has anyone picked this up? For these works, I only have the Decca box of the Handley Conifer recordings...

I bought this recording tonight. Pretty excited to hear another performance of Symphony No. 7. This is such a psychotic work, but truly great IMHO.

lescamil

Quote from: tjguitar on October 27, 2015, 05:22:16 PM
Has anyone picked this up? For these works, I only have the Decca box of the Handley Conifer recordings...

Have had this one for a while. I got it for the Fantasy, where Donohoe once again proves to be a very masterful pianist. Once again he gives a very meaty interpretation, and his sharp-edged playing works very well here. The Philharmonic Concerto is also well-played and very exciting here under Yates. Need a few more listens of the Symphony before I can comment.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 25, 2016, 03:07:51 PM
Thanks, Jeffrey. Here's a fair question for you (and everyone else), what is your favorite Arnold symphony cycle: Handley, Hickox/Gamba, or Penny?
Difficult and interesting question. I think that they all have their strengths. Overall probably the Handley set but I love Hickox in No.1,5 and 6. No one would be disappointed with the Naxos cycle which was made in the presence of the composer.
As to individual symphonies my favourites are:
No1 Arnold/Hickox
No2 Groves
No3 Arnold (Everest)
No 4 Arnold (Lyrita) but I don't know the others so well
No 5 Arnold (EMI)/Hickox
No 6 Handley
No 7 Handley
No 8 Gamba (but I don't know the others so well)
No 9 Penny

Maestro267

An intrigue about Arnold's 4th Symphony is the fact that Arnold's own recording (LPO, Lyrita) takes a whopping 54 minutes (including 18 mins each for the 1st and 3rd movts.), compared to just 37 minutes for Penny and Handley's recordings. I wonder what the composer's intentions were with the symphony...