sir Malcolm Arnold

Started by Thom, April 12, 2007, 10:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 30, 2016, 05:44:30 AM
Speaking of the Sibelius influence, I was listening to Symphony No. 2 last night and was awestruck by some of these Sibelian musical passages that reminded me of Sibelius' own symphonies. I hear a minimal Walton influence, though. I read that Arnold also cited Berlioz as an influence. I think Arnold was quite aware of the music of other composers, but, like any good composer, he just found his own avenue and pursued it relentlessly.
Totally agree.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 30, 2016, 06:55:22 AM
I just bought this recording. Looking forward to hearing it.
Am sure you'll really like it. Let us know what you think. :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

Oboe Quartet, Op.61 (1957)
Allegro non troppo-Allegretto-Vivace con brio
Written for Leon Goossens on the occasion of his 60th birthday - first perfoimance: Cambridge, University Music School, 2 May 1957 by Leon Goossens (oboe) and the Carter String Trio - wasn't published until 1966.

Another schizophrenic piece - the opening is light, airy - the 2nd movement is strange and mysterious and could be the soundtrack for filling Dracula's boxes with his native earth  - the Vivace has a melody that stays with you and is a sort of 'Pied Piper' dance.  A real provocative work due to its veering from one course to another.

[asin]B014KP5VMC[/asin]

String Quartet No.1, Op.23  (1949)
Allegro commodo - Vivace - Andante- Lento - Tempo primo - Allegro con spirito

[asin]B000MRP1TG[/asin]

A serious work throughout - very modernistic, but not as aggressive as some - the technique does not venture into Bartok String Quartet 3 or 4 territory.

String Quartet No.2, Op.118  (1975)
Allegro - Maestoso con molto rubato, Allegro vivace - Andante - Allegretto, Vivace, Lento

[asin]B000000AQJ[/asin]

Dedication: Hugh Maguire   First perfoimance: Dublin, the Castle, 9 June 1976, by the Allegri String Quartet

More melodic, less extreme than the first quartet.  The 2nd movement reminds me of the Bach sonatas for violin.  The last movement changes gears a couple of times with some nice plucking in the Vivace.  The only slight disappointment was in the third movement - seemed a bit aimless to these ears. Another very serious work.

Phantasy for String Quartet 'Vita Abundans'  (1941)

[asin]B00005B65O[/asin]

Nicely constructed, with an ascending scale overlaid with an almost Indian-sounding motif. Won 2nd place in the 1941 W.W. Cobbett prize for composition.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

André

First listen ever to the concerto for two pianos (three hands) which seems to be on many a compilation. Once again Arnold confounds by making sounds that remind one of MacDowell, Ravel, Gershwin, but that could never come from another hand than... Arnold

Too bad Sony did not retain the (beautiful) original jackets from the Conifer discs.

I just ordered these, my interest in Arnold being rekindled by this discussion:

I have these works already (plus the Naxos set), but Arnold, like VW is a major composer who deserves exposure and warrants duplication.

Is the Chandos Hickox box set recommended ?

Scion7

^ Yes, those are ugly covers - ugh.
At least the British Composers series are dignified visually.  I have that set, too.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

Listening to the Organ Concerto, and making grilled mesquite chicken sandwiches on toasted sesame seed buns with 4-blend Mexican shredded (melted) cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo.  Yarm yarm yarm nom nom nom.  :)   I worked hard in the yard today - I deserve them.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 30, 2016, 09:22:44 AM
Am sure you'll really like it. Let us know what you think. :)

Will do, my friend. 8)

Quote from: André on April 30, 2016, 12:00:42 PM

First listen ever to the concerto for two pianos (three hands) which seems to be on many a compilation. Once again Arnold confounds by making sounds that remind one of MacDowell, Ravel, Gershwin, but that could never come from another hand than... Arnold

Too bad Sony did not retain the (beautiful) original jackets from the Conifer discs.

I have these works already (plus the Naxos set), but Arnold, like VW is a major composer who deserves exposure and warrants duplication.

(Wipes drool from mouth and goes searching Amazon...)

Is the Chandos set recommendable? Absolutely, although I haven't heard the Gamba performances of Symphonies 7-9 yet. Hickox's performances are very fine IMHO.

Mirror Image

I received the Complete Conifer Recordings set today and I'm looking forward to digging into everything this box set has to offer. It must be said that I do own the original Conifer releases of Handley's cycle (w/ those cool looking covers), but one reason I bought this set was 1. to have Handley's cycle in remastered sound and 2. to have access to a lot of other recordings that have been OOP for years. I suppose a third reason would be the price was right. Hard to pass it up. It's funny that these cheap budget box sets end up being worth a good bit once they go OOP, which, without a doubt in my mind, will happen sooner or later.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 30, 2016, 12:00:42 PM

Those are amongst my favourite Arnold discs Andre, especially the two conducted by Arnold himself. It includes my favourite recording of Symphony 1 (much longer than other versions) and Symphony 5 is the version I grew up with. EMI issued a double CD set including Arnold conducting symphonies 1 and 5 and an older recording of him conducting Symphony 2 (instead of Groves). I love the double piano concerto too, which is great fun as well as serious.  :)
[asin]B000MCIB6Q[/asin]

Scion7

"Toy" Symphony, Op.62 (1957)  -- this was written for children/children's orchestra?  I listened to it on YouTube - can't say I like it.

Fantasy on a Theme of John Field, Op.116 (1975) - ah, this is more like it.   :)

[asin]B000VIFLYG[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on May 01, 2016, 08:18:06 AM
"Toy" Symphony, Op.62 (1957)  -- this was written for children/children's orchestra?  I listened to it on YouTube - can't say I like it.

Fantasy on a Theme of John Field, Op.116 (1975) - ah, this is more like it.   :)

[asin]B000VIFLYG[/asin]
That is an excellent disc.

Scion7

H.R.H.The Duke of Cambridge, Op.60  (1957)
       March for Military Band 

Written to celebrate the Royal Military School of Music's centenaiy in 1957.
Dedication: Lt.-Co. David McBain
First perfoimance:   Twickenham, Kneller Hall, 28 June 1957
Band of tlie RMSM (Kneller Hall), conducted by Rodney Bashford

The only Malcolm Arnold track on the LP / CD.

Scion7

Concerto for 28 Players, Op.105  (1970)
Vivace-Larghetto-Allegro
Commissioned by the Stuyvesant Foundation
First performance: London, Queen Elizabeth Hall, 25 April 1970.
English Chamber Orchestra, conducted by Malcolm Arnold

Excellent composition-the Vivace has a modernistic tune that reminded me in parts of the soundtrack-theme for "Patton" and there are some nice soft-loud dynamics; the Larghetto is strong in the strings, and the Allegro is a gallop and a march tune, but then the tempo slows drastically down.  I'm starting to think the Vivace may be one of the best things he ever did?

Variations for Orchestra on a Theme of Ruth Gipps, Op.122  (1977)
Introduction and Theme: Allegro moderato-Variation I: Vivace-Variation II: Alla marcia-Variation III: Lento-Variation IV: Vivace-Variation V: Allegretto-Variation VI (Finale): Maestoso
First perfoimance:   London, Queen Elizabeth Hall, 22 February 1978.
Chanticleer Orchestra, conducted by Ruth Gipps

Powerful work with lots of chromaticism and dynamics.  I hope Ms. Gipps appreciated it.  8)

Little Suite no.3 (A Manx Suite), Op.142   (1990)
Allegretto-Allegro-Allegretto-Lento-Allegretto
Commissioned by: Department of Education for the Manx Youth Orchestra under the
patronage of the Isle of Man Bank Ltd in celebration of the Bank's 125th anniversary
First perfoimance:   Douglas (IoM), Villa Marina, 8 December 1990.
Manx Youth Orchestra, conducted by Malcolm Arnold

Much more light-weight - it's a pleasant time-passer (or waster).  It's possible I've heard this before on a Classical station and it just never stuck.  There are much worse things for a school orchestra to be spending time on.

Little Suite Nr.2, Op,78    (1962)
Overture (Allegro moderato)-Ballad (Andantino)-Dance (Vivace)
Written for the Fainham Festival
First perfoimance: Famham, Parish Church, 13 May 1963.
Combined orchestra of Farnham Grammar School and Tiffin
School, conducted by Dennis Bloodworm First London: Royal Festival Hall, 15 May 1964.
London Junior and Senior Orchestras, conducted by Oliver Broome

The first movement is sort of dispensable, the Ballad is nice, the Dance moves along but not a lot to it.

Little Suite Nr.1, Op.53  (1948)
Prelude: Maestoso-Dance: Allegretto-March: Allegro con brio
In 1955, Arnold renamed "To Youth" (Written for the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain) to  "Little Suite No. 1 (for orchestra)" which became Opus 53, with the central movement retitled Dance (Allegretto)

More "Arnold lite" - I like the 3rd movement more than the first two.

[asin]B000000B0G[/asin]

Scion7

On YT, there is a live recording of A Grand Grand Overture, Op.57 for organ, 3 vacuum cleaners, fluteoor polisher, 4 riflutees & orchestra, (1956) - with Arnold conducting the Hoffnung (alias Morley College) Symphony Orchestra in-concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ0xAOlzYZE

A studio version with better acoustics but not as much 'spirit'  -  along with other fine overtures like A Sussex Overture, Opus 31, and The Smoke, Op.21.  An alternative to the Arnold Overtures (Reference Recordings) disc -->

[asin]B0007SK9L0[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on May 02, 2016, 03:08:41 AM
On YT, there is a live recording of A Grand Grand Overture, Op.57 for organ, 3 vacuum cleaners, fluteoor polisher, 4 riflutees & orchestra, (1956) - with Arnold conducting the Hoffnung (alias Morley College) Symphony Orchestra in-concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ0xAOlzYZE

A studio version with better acoustics but not as much 'spirit'  -  along with other fine overtures like A Sussex Overture, Opus 31, and The Smoke, Op.21.  An alternative to the Arnold Overtures (Reference Recordings) disc -->

[asin]B0007SK9L0[/asin]
Following discussions here have just ordered the Chandos disc.

Scion7

4 Scottish Dances, Op.59  (1957)

My fave rave-up of all the dances - the LPO and Arnold are excellent.

[asin]B000027QVJ[/asin]

4 Welsh Dances, Op.138  (1989)
4 Irish Dances, Op.126  (1988)
4 Cornish Dances, Op.91  (1968)
English Dances, set 1, Op.27  (1950)
English Dances, set 2, Op.33  (1951)

[asin]B00000149N[/asin]

Penny is an alternative, but personally I think the Arnold/LPO set on Lyrita is better recorded and has the better performances, and it sounds like everyone was having a smashing good time.
All the dances are very tuneful and exciting - the contrast between them and his three "Little Suites" for orchestra is striking.

André

Listening to this:

The first movement is labeled 'Energico'. And yet the atmosphere is that of suspense, unease, anguish even. What a composition !

Following the listening of this set, and before I listen to the incoming (*) Hickox one, I'll revisit the Penney on Naxos. I have extremely fond memories of it.

(*) Incoming: in my mailbox, that is. It's not new, just that I've ordered it this week.  ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: André on May 02, 2016, 03:08:42 PM
Listening to this:

The first movement is labeled 'Energico'. And yet the atmosphere is that of suspense, unease, anguish even. What a composition !

Following the listening of this set, and before I listen to the incoming (*) Hickox one, I'll revisit the Penney on Naxos. I have extremely fond memories of it.

(*) Incoming: in my mailbox, that is. It's not new, just that I've ordered it this week.  ;D
It was this CD which alerted me to how good Symphony 6 was. Following that I noted its use in a disturbing sequence in a film about Arnold to illustrate his mental breakdown.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: André on May 02, 2016, 03:08:42 PM
Listening to this:

Quote from: vandermolen on May 02, 2016, 09:53:54 PM
It was this CD which alerted me to how good Symphony 6 was.

That was my first Arnold CD. I didn't buy it specifically for the Symphony, though, but rather Tam O'Shanter, the first Arnold piece I ever heard. It was on a LP of overtures borrowed from the library when I was a teen. The record came with a conductor's baton! Great fun, great listen.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Scion7

Now - this is a little strange:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL6E9y9llz8

The Fantasy for Audience and Orchestra, Op.106  (1970) 

- there is some very attractive instrumental passages - but mixed in with this silly audience participation singing that horrid little tune - ugh.  ???  Commissioned by the BBC - it remains unpublished - and this is the first and only (?) performance - First performance: London, Royal Albert Hall, 12 September 1970.
BBC Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Colin Davis.
Rule Britannia . . . I would have had to have had a few to get into this in 1970 - far too the serious young man. Bizarre.  :-\