sir Malcolm Arnold

Started by Thom, April 12, 2007, 10:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

The piano music is not comparable with his other work, although none of it is terrible.
The Piano Sonata (1942)  and the Three Pieces (1943) show how much improved the Three Fantasies, Op.129 (1986) [dedicated to Eileen Gilroy] are.

The Three Pieces (1937) would be a good break between heavy/serious pieces by other composers at a piano recital - they are light and melodic and very short.

[asin]B000007O0N[/asin]
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

Fantasies:

Fantasy for Solo Bassoon, Op.86   (1966)
Fantasy for B flat Clarinet, Op.87  (1966)
Fantasy for Flute, Op.89   (1966)
Fantasy for Oboe solo, Op.90  (1966)

Nice stuff, these short pieces sound like they were written for students - the Clarinet fantasy is a little more profound.

Fantasy for Horn, Op.88   (1966)
Fantasy for Bb Trumpet, Op.100  (1969)
Fantasy for Trombone, Op.101   (1969)
Fantasy for Tuba, Op.102  (1969)

These are all well-written and fun. They are collected with other longer pieces on the Nimbus set of Arnold brass works. The trumpet fantasy is especially well-written - Arnold's instrument!

Fantasy for Guitar, Op.107   (1971)
A serious work of about twelve minutes long, divided into: Prélude-Scherzo-Arietta-Fughetta-Arietta-March-Postlude
It was dedicated to guitarist Julian Bream, who premiered it at Queen Elizabeth Hall, London, in May 1971.
Introspective.

The Fantasy for Harp, Op.117  (1975) is something different. 
  I. Lament 
  II. March 
  III. Nocturne 
  IV. Scherzo
This is dedicated to Osian Ellis, and was first performed by him in January 1976 in London.
Clocking in at about eleven minutes, this is a serious work. Played as a continuous movement,
the opening is beautiful and the piece works its way through a variety of somber moods.
This has a fantastic nocturne segment.  Why some critics said Arnold didn't show emotion is unfathomable after hearing a piece like this.  It might be successful as a transcription for piano - but it would have to be carefully done.

[asin]B0000037G3[/asin]
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

What do you think about the Harmonica Concerto, Op.46  (1954)
Grazioso-Mesto-Con brio

This is an instrument which is very rarely found in a classical music composition.

Critic Ivan March, back in 1994,  stated in Gramophone:

"Malcolm Arnold work, one of this composer's best miniature concertos, written in 1954 for the BBC Proms, is very appealing too. The music is exuberantly melodic in the manner of the English Dances-Arnold was a happier man then and could conjure up brass whoops with confident panache-the orchestra most effectively scored (minus woodwind) to give the soloist a strong, reedy profile. The Mesto centre-piece excludes strings; it is unexpectedly dirge-like, with dark brass sonorities and percussion providing a sombre accompaniment. The mood lightens wittily and irrepressibly in the spirited Con brio finale, which has another unforgettable swinging melody floating over a rocking bass rhythm."

André

Never heard of the Harmonica Concerto. I couldn't find any reference to it on Amazon.

Meanwhile, listening to the Clarinet # 2, Horn # 1, Flute # 2 concertos and Piano Duet concertos.

Scion7

Quote from: André on May 05, 2016, 09:40:28 AM
Never heard of the Harmonica Concerto. I couldn't find any reference to it on Amazon..

The back cover was posted above, with the RCA vinyl LP cover of a different recording.

[asin]B000000ATZ[/asin]

André

vandermolen

I have the Harmonica Concerto on a great old RCA LP with Larry Adler and Morton Gould conducting:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SB-6786-LARRY-ADLER-Plays-Arnold-Bengamin-Vaughan-Williams-Ex-LP-Record-/301848825949
Pity it's never been on CD. I listened to the Chandos Arnold Ballet music CD yesterday which I enjoyed, especially 'Elektra' which is a very dark work indeed (as is appropriate), reminiscent of the sound-world of Symphony 7. I also liked the Suite 'Homage to the Queen' which is, also appropriately, in a more popular style.
The Arnold Harmonica Concerto was also on a BBC Radio Classics CD which is still very cheap online:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BBC-Radio-Classics-Imperial-Harmonica/dp/B000026G78/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1462514857&sr=1-1&keywords=Harmonica+BBC+radio+classics
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Just listened to the Guitar Concerto for the First time (Bream/Rattle/EMI). What a wonderful work, very restrained (for Arnold) eloquent and poetic. I enjoyed the Takemitsu coupling too. Many thanks for the recommendations here for the Arnold Guitar Concerto.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

Concerto for Flute and String Orchestra No.1, Op.45  (1954)

Tuneful 10 minutes.   :)

André

Symphony no 9, second movement, starting at 1:00. The theme is almost that of Juliet in Prokofiev's ballet. Hard to miss: it is developed at length in the rest of the movement. BTW this is labeled 'Allegretto'. And yet it unolds slowly and almost sadly.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on May 06, 2016, 03:33:43 PM
Symphony no 9, second movement, starting at 1:00. The theme is almost that of Juliet in Prokofiev's ballet. Hard to miss: it is developed at length in the rest of the movement. BTW this is labeled 'Allegretto'. And yet it unolds slowly and almost sadly.

...and is absolutely gorgeous.

André

Indeed. It is heart-rendingly beautiful. And the last movement (Lento) is absolutely shattering by its calm resignation, its refusal to shake heavens, its low dynamic marks - it practically never rises above mf, its ghostly countenance. It's a miracle that Arnold found the guts to utter the serene last chord.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on May 06, 2016, 04:25:58 PM
Indeed. It is heart-rendingly beautiful. And the last movement (Lento) is absolutely shattering by its calm resignation, its refusal to shake heavens, its low dynamic marks - it practically never rises above mf, its ghostly countenance. It's a miracle that Arnold found the guts to utter the serene last chord.

...then there's the last movement. 8) I agree with every word you wrote above (of course). Resignation both spiritually and emotionally seems to be the main undercurrent in Arnold's 9th.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 06, 2016, 05:01:52 PM
...then there's the last movement. 8) I agree with every word you wrote above (of course). Resignation both spiritually and emotionally seems to be the main undercurrent in Arnold's 9th.
Very much agree with you and Andre.

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

relm1

Quote from: André on April 29, 2016, 01:06:17 PM
Right now listening to this:

Arnold's First symphony - already jolly and sarcastic in I, quietly anguished and enigmatic in II, etc.

And his 5th, possibly his most 'popular' work in the genre. As with Beethoven, Mahler, Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich: a 'people's symphony'.

I finally received this CD (took like a month to get!) and found it relevatory.  It makes me need to hear more.  There is a wonderful and unique combination of wistfulness, tunefulness, edginess, and melancholy but all mixed with taught dramatic craftiness.   The music is nowhere near as simple as I thought on first listening years ago.  Arnold is very unique but also familiar and I am actively seeking out more.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on May 17, 2016, 04:10:27 PM
I finally received this CD (took like a month to get!) and found it relevatory.  It makes me need to hear more.  There is a wonderful and unique combination of wistfulness, tunefulness, edginess, and melancholy but all mixed with taught dramatic craftiness.   The music is nowhere near as simple as I thought on first listening years ago.  Arnold is very unique but also familiar and I am actively seeking out more.
It's a great CD - fine performances of my two favourite Arnold symphonies. They are all excellent but my favourites are the odd numbered ones + the disturbing No.6. Also worth hearing Arnold's own ultra slow version of No.1.

André

reposted from the 'What are you listening to?' thread.

Symphony no 9, with Andrew Penny. Last time I heard it, earlier this month, it was the Handley version. I'm not sure which one is more to my taste. Every time I hear this extraordinary work I fall in a trance and forget aount mundane considerations such as playing and interpretation. Of course this is made even harder by the fact that this is 'difficult' music, by which I mean it is by some margin his most profound score, exploring as it does all the facets of his style - doleful, disquieting, achingly sad, jolly, sarcastic, biting - to a degree previously firmly kept in check.

(reposted in the Malcolm Arnold thread)

Mirror Image

As I mentioned several times, for me, the 9th is more about resignation and 'throwing in the towel' which is, essentially, Arnold's bowing out of this existence and perhaps his last word on where he stands in his own life. The Penny performance is still my favorite even after I heard Gamba and Handley.

Maestro267

Today (September 23rd) marks the 10th anniversary of Arnold's passing. I'll spin something in his honour today.