Hermannus Contractus (1013-54) 1000th anniversary

Started by Sean, July 14, 2013, 06:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Contractus is the earliest composer I know of whose works can be attributed, and indeed the only other eleventh century figure seems to be Peter Abelard (1079-1142), for a few years.

Hermann of Reichenau in Germany has an extant detailed biography with his birth date 18th July 1013- which is Thursday this week 1000 years on.

I managed to track down his short monophonies Alma redemptoris mater to which he also wrote the words, and Salve Regina, all very touching.

The musical world will probably sail on without giving a banana for Contractus but he was the start of the West's finest tradition.

petrarch

Quote from: Sean on July 14, 2013, 06:24:59 AM
but he was the start of the West's finest tradition.

Start in what way? Getting attribution?
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Sean

Sure. Before him there's little but plainchant.

petrarch

Quote from: Sean on July 27, 2013, 07:52:04 PM
Sure. Before him there's little but plainchant.

So plainchant is not part of the "West's finest tradition"? And what does it have to do with attribution?
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Sean

Well how plainchant actually came to be composed I'm not sure. Maybe it was some kind of group refinement effort over centuries but usually things get created only because an individual person strikes out and does something. Plainchant probably has particular names behind it but they're lost.

The emphasis particularly from the 19th century of an individually conceived artwork however I guess is a modern idea...

Sean

By the way I read somewhere that Odo of Cluny from a century before is known to be a composer with some of his work surviving.

But no one knows which works in manuscript collections are his...

Luke

Sean

Hello Luke

Kassia, yes, I must try find some recordings...

I'm still listening, older and even a touch wiser on a good day.

Sean

There are two of Kassia's five minute chants on this one...

Mandryka

https://www.youtube.com/v/uv_2x6JmuaE

I believe this is by Hermannus Contractus, can someone verify? It is a very fine piece of music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen