Contemporary Russian composers

Started by Pierre, July 22, 2007, 09:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

Guys, Pierre asked us to discuss Russian composers who are already dead over here:
Modern Russian composers

S709

Yes, true, the Mosolov stuff should be in that thread. Anyway, Knaifel is very much alive. :)

As for my earlier comparison, I think now it is pretty inaccurate. His music is actually more abstract, especially the instrumental passages. Nevertheless, his music is usually immediately emotionally affecting and well worth seeking out... any other fans out there?

Maciek

FWIW, the Amicta Sole disc has been on my wishlist for at least a year now. ;D

violinconcerto

For the slightly modern and easy to listen to music I can recommend Mikhail Bronner. Both violin concertos ("Lonely voice" and "Heaven's gate") fit that description.

Anyone mentioned Sofia Gubaidulina? The "Offertorium" is nice.

If you like depressive and very slow, calm and monotonous music, go for Giya Kancheli.

Maciek

vc, Kancheli isn't a Russian composer!

sidoze

Thank you very much for the Mosolov PC. I'm looking forward to hearing that :)

I agree Gubaidulina's Offertorium is a lovely work. The ending, like an extended coda, is achingly beautiful, something I just wouldn't expect from a late 20th century piece. Also her Rejoice!, a piece for violin and cello, very intense and spiritual (as usual).

violinconcerto

Quote from: Maciek on July 25, 2007, 03:49:36 AM
vc, Kancheli isn't a Russian composer!

You mean "Russian composer" as from the area named "Russia" after 1991? Because when Kancheli was born in 1935, Georgia was a part of the USSR, sloppy titled "Russia"...

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: violinconcerto on July 25, 2007, 04:44:44 AM
You mean "Russian composer" as from the area named "Russia" after 1991? Because when Kancheli was born in 1935, Georgia was a part of the USSR, sloppy titled "Russia"...

Referring to the USSR as "Russia," though common among geographically-challenged foreigners, is indeed sloppy.

But how nitpicky do you want to get? Some Russian composers are rossianie (Russian citizens) but not russkiye (ethnic Russians). Gubaidulina is a perfect example - she's a Tatar. Schnittke was basically a German Jew (not sure of his official nationality, though). And Eshpai is a Mari (a Finno-Ugric people living near the Volga).
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

violinconcerto

I don't want to get nitpicky, but I just wanted to ask how "Russian" a person is, who was born in the USSR? Does the future change all in the view? So Kancheli is born in the USSR, so in his lifetime till 1991 he was called a "Russian" (I would think). After that he changed to a Georgian. So he isn't a Russian anymore, but most of his lifetime he was. So I think he fits in this thread.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: violinconcerto on July 25, 2007, 05:31:30 AM
I don't want to get nitpicky, but I just wanted to ask how "Russian" a person is, who was born in the USSR? Does the future change all in the view? So Kancheli is born in the USSR, so in his lifetime till 1991 he was called a "Russian" (I would think). After that he changed to a Georgian. So he isn't a Russian anymore, but most of his lifetime he was. So I think he fits in this thread.

Kancheli was never not a Georgian. Nationality pre-dated the USSR, and was a recognized category within the USSR. Even in the most hardcore Stalinist times, he would still have been a Georgian; that would be the nationality listed on his "internal passport." (BTW, Stalin himself was Georgian.)

Yes, one could be born in Georgia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan or wherever, and be of "Russian nationality." But that sort of thing was determined by your ethnic origins, and how you regarded yourself. Most people were of the local nationality in their republics.

People sometimes changed their nationalities, for various reasons. But I doubt that would apply to Kancheli.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

pjme

Kancheli lives in Antwerp/Belgium now. He shops in the same supermarket as I do....

Kancheli with friends in Antwerp 2002

Kancheli left Georgia in 1991, and has lived in western Europe ever since. He and his family first went to live in Berlin, where he received a grant from the German Academic Exchange Service. In 1995-96 he was composer-in-residence at the Royal Flemish Philharmonic
Orchestra in Antwerp, where he continues to live and work.

see also : http://www.schirmer.com/default.aspx?TabId=2419&State_2872=2&ComposerId_2872=2423

Robert

Quote from: violinconcerto on July 24, 2007, 11:00:10 PM
For the slightly modern and easy to listen to music I can recommend Mikhail Bronner. Both violin concertos ("Lonely voice" and "Heaven's gate") fit that description.

Anyone mentioned Sofia Gubaidulina? The "Offertorium" is nice.

If you like depressive and very slow, calm and monotonous music, go for Giya Kancheli.

Oh Yes....two Phoenix USA discs  VIOLIN CONCERTOS
PHCD 153
ARUTIUNIAN "ARMENIA 88
VASKS  "DISTANT LIGHT"
BRONNER  "HEAVEN'S GATES"

PHCD 159
BRONNER "LONELY VOICE"
A. TCHAIKOVSKY "DISTANT DREAMS OF CHILDHOOD"
VASKS  "MUSICA DOLOROSA"

BOTH GREAT DISCS.....

S709

I WANT THOSE ! OMG !

I know the Vasks pieces but the others are so tempting.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Bumping an old thread to see if there is anyone who can recommend me pieces to listen to by Kourliandski?

Mirror Image

Wow, Jessop, you've dug up a thread that's nine years old. Unfortunately, I don't know hardly any Contemporary Russian composers.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 13, 2016, 07:36:58 PM
Wow, Jessop, you've dug up a thread that's nine years old. Unfortunately, I don't know hardly any Contemporary Russian composers.
Haha, well there was no Kourliandski thread but there was THIS one in the thread index for this subforum so it was only a few clicks away.

Mirror Image

Quote from: jessop on December 13, 2016, 07:38:25 PM
Haha, well there was no Kourliandski thread but there was THIS one in the thread index for this subforum so it was only a few clicks away.

Cool, well tell us about Kourliandski. What's his/her style like?

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 13, 2016, 07:42:07 PM
Cool, well tell us about Kourliandski. What's his/her style like?

Okay well I've only heard one piece so far which is an acousmatic work with a title that has an obvious inspiration: 'The Riot of Spring.' It's a bit half an hour long. There are some non-classical influences in the work including some sections which prominently feature sampled drum kit. For an acousmatic piece of music, Kourliandski is certainly not afraid to highlight a rhythmic pulse at times, but often the rhythms end up being irregular, with asymmetrical patterns. It's a really fun piece of music but I don't know if it's exactly the kind of thing you'd be into, MI. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: jessop on December 13, 2016, 08:00:42 PM
Okay well I've only heard one piece so far which is an acousmatic work with a title that has an obvious inspiration: 'The Riot of Spring.' It's a bit half an hour long. There are some non-classical influences in the work including some sections which prominently feature sampled drum kit. For an acousmatic piece of music, Kourliandski is certainly not afraid to highlight a rhythmic pulse at times, but often the rhythms end up being irregular, with asymmetrical patterns. It's a really fun piece of music but I don't know if it's exactly the kind of thing you'd be into, MI. :)

Okay, thanks for the feedback, Jessop. 8)