Author Topic: UEFA Euro 2020  (Read 69 times)

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
UEFA Euro 2020
« on: June 12, 2021, 04:03:25 AM »
It was a wait but at last the tournament kicked off with Italy playing Turkey at Rome's Stadio Olimpico, with prior to KO Andrea Bocelli singing Nessun Dorma in the middle of the pitch and a young lady sweeping down from the sky supposedly supported by balloons followed by a firework display. It sounds naff but believe me it wasn't, instead a jaw dropping spectacle of the first order.

The UEFA come into a lot of deserved criticism but credit due in making the best of a Covid situation and setting the tournament in the best stadiums from the far corners of Europe. I predict this will be a big success.

By the way France will win it!   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline DaveF

Re: UEFA Euro 2020
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 04:55:37 AM »
By the way France will win it!

The BBC did a not terribly serious study, based on, among other factors, performance in qualifying, past wins and location of matches and came to the same conclusion.

Half-time at the moment in Wales v Switzerland - we are terrible (although have had the best chance), Switzerland very good but wasteful in front of goal.  Not comfortable watching so far.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    The museum of musical modernism
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 07:38:36 AM »
Having grown up in Northamptonshire I have no interest in football but I hope you both enjoy the competition. :)

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 11:37:36 PM »
Having grown up in Northamptonshire I have no interest in football but I hope you both enjoy the competition. :)

At the old West Ham stadium (Boleyn) a few seats down our row a father and daughter travelled from Northampton to every home game.

Due to family commitments I missed the Denmark game. Hope and prey Christian Ericksen makes a full recovery although his playing career is surely over. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 11:39:23 PM »
Probably, but actually some named elite players experiencing that are still playing. The game itself was not very good.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 11:52:41 PM »
Probably, but actually some named elite players experiencing that are still playing. The game itself was not very good.

The same thing occurred nine years ago at a Spurs v Bolton game. A Bolton player "died" on the pitch. He survived, in fact sent a message to Erickson yesterday. He never played again.