Author Topic: USA Politics (redux)  (Read 81060 times)

Offline greg

• Veteran member
Re: USA Politics (redux)
« Reply #2720 on: June 14, 2021, 05:39:12 AM »
Historically and 'till the present the Americans have been obsessed with "liberty" and "rugged individualism" in the sense of I can do whatever I want with little regard for societal good ...
This is a dark view of some of the most important American values. Fewer people take it past that point, that is, past the NAP (non-aggression principle) point. That would just be antisocial tendencies, which is a smallish percentage of the population. They'll likely end up in prison.

Of course those principles are important- what is the opposite? Reliance on the government and helplessness to direct your own life? Doesn't sound like a better alternative.

It's very important as it is one of the reasons why America is responsible for so much innovation throughout its years.

More fundamentally, what is the cause of the frustration of so many Americans?  OK, they are mostly White, older, and small-town, but can they all be dismissed as just racists?  Or is there something also at work?  My hypothesis is that much of the frustration is based on the stagnation of incomes and the conviction their children will not better off than they have been.  (Not to say the racism is real enough.)
I'd say this is likely accurate, but it seems like you could get the answers for this more in detail somewhere if you looked for it.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Offline T. D.

• Veteran member
« Reply #2721 on: June 14, 2021, 05:57:55 AM »
Wow, topsy turvy day, Droggy is the optimist and Henning the cynic. 

IMO, things aren't looking good for American democracy, let alone the Democratic agenda.

+1 with exclamation marks.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #2722 on: June 14, 2021, 06:06:25 AM »

But "Deutschland" had nothing in the way of carrots to offer.

Yet it did, but only after the NAZIs decided to stop running out of money. If money run outs were real things depressions could never end. I mean, howyougonna payforit?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #2723 on: Today at 09:55:50 AM »
     Does the Welfare State Make Countries Richer?

Justin Fox: The coronavirus pandemic has caused a dramatic expansion in government-funded social welfare programs in many countries, including the United States. A major theme of your new book, “Making Social Spending Work” — as well as some of your earlier work — is that the welfare state is a free lunch. What do you mean by that?

Peter Lindert, Distinguished Professor of Economics, Emeritus, University of California at Davis: It’s a free lunch in the sense that it doesn’t lower our average incomes, but at the same time it does provide other things such as more equality, cleaner government, etc. Lifespans are longer, welfare states do not run bigger deficits, poverty is lower.

I don't see how a welfare state could run a bigger deficit. Welfare dollars aren't going to come back any slower than other dollars. In fact, they will be spent at close to 100% by beneficiaries, so welfare dollars will recycle via taxation at least as efficiently as other dollars.

To the extent that welfare spending acts to prop up capitalism by countering its tendency to impoverish its customers I'd say yes, welfare spending is enriching in its aggregate effects on the economy. However much people want to justify welfare states on ethical grounds, the only reason they could ever become the chosen path as countries become rich is good old fashioned brute force economics.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:11:10 AM by drogulus »
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0