Author Topic: USA Politics (redux)  (Read 91436 times)

Offline BasilValentine

• Veteran member
Re: USA Politics (redux)
« Reply #2740 on: July 26, 2021, 01:34:12 PM »
I've been thinking about the future. Has anyone else come to the conclusion that if a Republican wins the WH in 2024, that person will immediately pardon all of the insurrectionsists?

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #2741 on: July 26, 2021, 03:29:44 PM »
I've been thinking about the future. Has anyone else come to the conclusion that if a Republican wins the WH in 2024, that person will immediately pardon all of the insurrectionsists?

I'm not expecting much in the way of consequences in any case. 

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2742 on: July 26, 2021, 09:33:04 PM »
It's the people, mostly ....

America’s Imperfect Founding

I totally agree with that prespective . It's unfortunate that sofar the (appeal of the) myth seems to be more stronger than reality...  For me as an outsider, it seems that what the US needs most is some critical self reflection, including the removal of the Constitution and the Founding Fathers from their pedestals. They were a product of their times, with the imperfections that came with it. But the myth is a powerful tool in the hands of those who benefit from keeping things the way they are.

Black Lives Matter might be a game changer! Plus the rude awakening from the Imperial Dream. Although the example of the UK shows that that can also lead to an irrational clinging on to the past and self isolation.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2743 on: July 26, 2021, 09:43:15 PM »
Since the fight against the pandemic seems to be politised in the US, I'm posting here.

I'm absolutely baffled by the anti-vax campaigns from (some?) Republican quarters!

How did they switch from Trump's championing the production of vaccines to this? And to what political gain?  ???

Also: what are the ramifications, political and otherwise? 
How many Americans are persuaded not to get vaccinated? I read up to half of all Republican voters?

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #2744 on: July 26, 2021, 10:56:28 PM »
Well, some Republican leaders are attempting to make a U-turn on this anti-vaccine position, but I guess it's a little too late.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #2745 on: July 27, 2021, 02:04:34 AM »
I totally agree with that prespective . It's unfortunate that sofar the (appeal of the) myth seems to be more stronger than reality...  For me as an outsider, it seems that what the US needs most is some critical self reflection, including the removal of the Constitution and the Founding Fathers from their pedestals. They were a product of their times, with the imperfections that came with it. But the myth is a powerful tool in the hands of those who benefit from keeping things the way they are.

Black Lives Matter might be a game changer! Plus the rude awakening from the Imperial Dream. Although the example of the UK shows that that can also lead to an irrational clinging on to the past and self isolation.

Part of our present severe dysfunction is the MAGA-verse's delusional clinging on to the "Whites on Top, baby!" past
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #2746 on: July 27, 2021, 03:42:08 AM »
No wonder we're the "Home of the Brave," you have to be to live in the bullet-riddled Hell Hole we have created :  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9826297/US-records-one-shooting-12-minutes-915-shootings-single-week-leaves-430-dead.html
Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Offline DavidW

« Reply #2747 on: July 27, 2021, 07:22:16 AM »
I'm absolutely baffled by the anti-vax campaigns from (some?) Republican quarters!

Conservative media has created a narrative that Biden and other liberals want to encroach upon their civil liberties.  Since their previous tactic was to downplay how severe the pandemic is, and how liberals want to ruin the economy and infringe upon personal liberties by forcing shut downs and mask wearing, anti-vax messaging is actually a natural extension of the disinformation campaign.

I see a natural progression that started when Trump downplayed covid so long ago, and through that inertia and saving face it ended up politicizing a medical matter so severely that there is no recovering from it.  BTW just to show how hypocritical they all can be, Fox News has a vaccine passport mandate to work in the building.  All the anchors and hosts are vaccinated.  Most anti-vax politicians are vaccinated.  Rudolph Murdock, who controls a monopoly on mainstream conservative media, was one of the first to be vaccinated.

Now that was on the mainstream front.  There is a doctor in Florida that was responsible for generating most of the truly egregious anti-vax nonsense on FB.  Since Trump spent years convincing his base that the mainstream media couldn't be trusted, many of his followers are more likely to trust FB or relatives that get their information from FB than from more reasonable sources.  Disinformation is a real threat to America right now.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #2748 on: July 28, 2021, 07:12:10 AM »
Conservative media has created a narrative that Biden and other liberals want to encroach upon their civil liberties.  Since their previous tactic was to downplay how severe the pandemic is, and how liberals want to ruin the economy and infringe upon personal liberties by forcing shut downs and mask wearing, anti-vax messaging is actually a natural extension of the disinformation campaign.

I see a natural progression that started when Trump downplayed covid so long ago, and through that inertia and saving face it ended up politicizing a medical matter so severely that there is no recovering from it.  BTW just to show how hypocritical they all can be, Fox News has a vaccine passport mandate to work in the building.  All the anchors and hosts are vaccinated.  Most anti-vax politicians are vaccinated.  Rudolph Murdock, who controls a monopoly on mainstream conservative media, was one of the first to be vaccinated.

Now that was on the mainstream front.  There is a doctor in Florida that was responsible for generating most of the truly egregious anti-vax nonsense on FB.  Since Trump spent years convincing his base that the mainstream media couldn't be trusted, many of his followers are more likely to trust FB or relatives that get their information from FB than from more reasonable sources.  Disinformation is a real threat to America right now.

It certainly is. What simultaneously baffles and repels me is the fact that I have friends and siblings, and we all grew up in the greater NYC area, and so grew up knowing what a vile character and bullshitter the disgraced former president is ... and yet these near and dear ones have somehow acquired a taste for consuming the bullshit.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot