The 10 best jazz CDs ever!

Started by mn dave, May 01, 2014, 08:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Sonny Rollins - Bridge
Ahmad Jamal Trio - Cross-Country Tour 1958-1961 (x2)
Charles Mingus - Blues & Roots
Thelonious Monk - Live at the It Club (x2)
Miles Davis - Live in Berlin
The Complete Norman Granz Jam Sessions (any one of the discs of the five)
Artie Shaw - Self Portrait (ditto)
Duke Ellington - Far East Suite

[asin]B00030EJSG[/asin]

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on May 01, 2014, 11:50:24 AM
[...] (any one of the discs of the five)

Oh, that has a sneaky whiff to it! ;)

Thanks for mentioning the Ahmad Jamal Trio;  looks very tempting.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: karlhenning on May 01, 2014, 12:08:46 PM
Oh, that has a sneaky whiff to it! ;)

0:)

QuoteThanks for mentioning the Ahmad Jamal Trio;  looks very tempting.

It's an extremely fine outing through-and-through.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: mn dave on May 01, 2014, 12:11:40 PM
YEAH!  >:(

But I claim exemption on account of you can't FIND any of this stuff individually. Just tryin' to spread the word... :)

mn dave

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on May 01, 2014, 12:29:55 PM
But I claim exemption on account of you can't FIND any of this stuff individually. Just tryin' to spread the word... :)

$:)

Dancing Divertimentian

mn dave

This has become a real nightmare.  :'( What have I gotten myself into?  ???

Brian

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on May 01, 2014, 12:29:55 PM
Hell, you can't find that Norman Granz box as a box anywhere, anymore, it looks like! I just wishlisted the Ahmad Jamal album, though.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Brian on May 01, 2014, 01:00:52 PM
Hell, you can't find that Norman Granz box as a box anywhere, anymore, it looks like! I just wishlisted the Ahmad Jamal album, though.

It's available through the Amazon link in my post above, but it ain't cheap. The MP3's price is high, too.

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on May 01, 2014, 09:50:29 AM
Alphabetical (and after only 18 months of serious jazz listening, so this list is very early/provisional)

• At Carnegie Hall, Dave Brubeck Quartet
  • Concert by the Sea, Erroll Garner Trio
  • Kind of Blue, Miles Davis & Co.
  • Money Jungle, Duke Ellington with Charles Mingus and Max Roach
  • Monk's Music, Thelonious Monk with Coleman Hawkins, John Coltrane, Gigi Gryce, Art Blakey, etc.
  • Nina Simone Sings the Blues
  • Tijuana Moods, Charles Mingus & Co.
  • Time Further Out, Dave Brubeck Quartet
  • The Witch Doctor, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
My favorite album is Brubeck Quartet at Carnegie Hall, which is a 2CD set (thus my list only has 9 albums).

Honorable mentions:
- Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk
- Bill Evans Trio at the Village Vanguard (3 CDs)
- It's Uptown (George Benson Quartet)
- Mingus Ah Um
Hmmmmm this is interesting. I own very little jazz. But I own 5 on your list!

Brian

Quote from: Ken B on May 01, 2014, 02:52:02 PM
Hmmmmm this is interesting. I own very little jazz. But I own 5 on your list!

That's because you own the "Perfect Jazz Collection" 25 CD box, I assume. I only have about 110 jazz albums... of course, only on GMG would the number 110 be pitifully small. My wishlist has got another hundred, easily.

mn dave

Quote from: Brian on May 01, 2014, 04:01:40 PM
... of course, only on GMG would the number 110 be pitifully small.

It's sad, really. That's a damn good-sized collection, Brian.

amw

Quote from: Brian on May 01, 2014, 04:01:40 PMI only have about 110 jazz albums... of course, only on GMG would the number 110 be pitifully small.

>.> I have about 20...

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on May 01, 2014, 04:01:40 PM
That's because you own the "Perfect Jazz Collection" 25 CD box, I assume. I only have about 110 jazz albums... of course, only on GMG would the number 110 be pitifully small. My wishlist has got another hundred, easily.
Yes. I have I guess 40 discs plus some swing discs. I have a few Brubecks and Ellingtons and am slowly adding Mingi.

Brian

Real Gone Jazz is very useful for building up a collection. They're in the UK and exploit copyright expirations to package up classic albums in boxes for $1-2 a pop. You can find the sets on ImportCDs. So far I've gotten particular mileage out of the Art Blakey Vol. I and Oscar Peterson Vol. I boxes.

Do research, though. Like all somewhat dodgy labels, there are some releases that have errors or omissions or other serious problems.

Mirror Image

My Top 10 Best Jazz CDs ever (in no particular order):

Bill Evans Trio: Waltz for Debby
Thelonious Monk: Monk's Music
Miles Davis: Miles Ahead
Stan Kenton: Portraits On Standards
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers: The Big Beat
Coleman Hawkins: At Ease with Coleman Hawkins
Stan Getz: Sweet Rain
Herbie Hancock: Maiden Voyage
Horace Silver Quartet: Song For My Father
Chet Baker: Chet

North Star

Quote from: Brian on May 01, 2014, 04:01:40 PMI only have about 110 jazz albums... of course, only on GMG would the number 110 be pitifully small.
Well, perhaps not only at GMG  8)

I have only 88 :(
(I have of course heard quite a lot more than that though -- particularly a lot of 60s Blue Note releases)

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers: A Night in Tunisia          (Morgan, Shorter, Timmons, Merritt, Blakey)
John Coltrane: Olé Coltrane                                                    (Coltrane, Dolphy, Hubbard, Tyner, Workman, Elvin Jones)
Grant Green: Idle Moments                                                    (Henderson, Green, Hutcherson, Pearson, Cranshaw, Harewood)
Herbie Hancock: Empyrean Isles                                           (Hubbard, Hancock, Carter, Williams)
Mingus: Ah Um                                                                       (Handy, Ervin, Hadi, Dennis, Knepper, Parlan, Mingus, Richmond)
Miles Davis: Nefertiti                                                             (Davis, Shorter, Hancock, Carter, Williams)
Thelonious Monk: Monk's Dream                                           (Rouse, Monk, Ore, Dunlop)
Wayne Shorter: JuJu                                                            (Shorter, Tyner, Workman, Elvin Jones)
Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus                                      (Rollins, Flanagan, Watkins, Roach)
Hank Mobley: Soul Station                                                    (Mobley, Kelly, Chambers, Blakey)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Brian

Quote from: North Star on May 02, 2014, 05:00:08 AM
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers: A Night in Tunisia          (Morgan, Shorter, Timmons, Merritt, Blakey)
Oh man! I spent a looong time deliberating between this one and The Witch Doctor for inclusion on my list. I chose TWD because to me the title track of "A Night in Tunisia" outshines the rest of the album... although that's primarily because "A Night in Tunisia" is so amazing. I love trying to figure out just when, exactly, Art Blakey realizes he isn't soloing anymore. I think it's around the three-minute mark. Glorious!

Brian

Quote from: Brian on May 01, 2014, 09:50:29 AM
Alphabetical (and after only 18 months of serious jazz listening, so this list is very early/provisional)

• Concert by the Sea, Erroll Garner Trio
  • Monk's Music, Thelonious Monk with Coleman Hawkins, John Coltrane, Gigi Gryce, Art Blakey, etc.
  • Nina Simone Sings the Blues
  • Tijuana Moods, Charles Mingus & Co.
  • Time Further Out, Dave Brubeck Quartet
  • The Witch Doctor, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
My favorite album is Brubeck Quartet at Carnegie Hall, which is a 2CD set (thus my list only has 9 albums).

Honorable mentions:
- It's Uptown (George Benson Quartet)
- Mingus Ah Um

UPDATED VERSION

• Everybody Digs Bill Evans, Bill Evans Trio
  • Exclusively for My Friends, Oscar Peterson and Trios (box set)
  • It's Monk's Time, Thelonious Monk Quartet
  • Jazz as Played at an Exclusive Side Street Cafe, Nina Simone Trio
  • Mingus Ah Um, Charles Mingus & Co.
  • Somethin' Else, Cannonball Adderley, Miles Davis, Hank Jones, Sam Jones, Art Blakey
Honorable mentions:
- Nina Simone Sings the Blues
- Time Further Out
- The Sidewinder (Lee Morgan)
- Chanchullo (Ruben Gonzalez) and Introducing Ruben Gonzalez