Bruckner's 6th Symphony - Blind Comparison

Started by TheGSMoeller, May 02, 2014, 05:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

So I've mentioned this in the past and seemed to receive some decent feedback, but wondering if there is still interest in another BC, this time of Bruckner's 6th. I currently own 18 recordings and plan on adding a few more to cover all the necessary grounds. I think the 6th would be a good one because it doesn't contain all the multiple revisions/editions that say the 3rd or 4th does, so it could be a little more difficult to figure out which recording it is.
I also realize Blind Comparisons are going heavy with the Brahms and Mahler right now, so I could wait until they are done, or could start sooner.
Let me know my friends, being my favorite Bruckner symphony and being on my "I must own every recording of this piece" list I would love to see which one ends up on top.

Peace!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Drosera

Definitely in!

(Don't know about the Mahler 2 blind comparison, but it seems to have died. Organizer has gone AWOL.)

Brian

I would join in! Maybe consult with amw, who is considering a Schubert chamber comparison - we could probably come up with a schedule for the rest of the year. In fact, depending on how much planning we wanna do, you could put me down for running a couple more "lightning round" games centered on short piano pieces.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on May 02, 2014, 07:11:25 AM
I would join in! Maybe consult with amw, who is considering a Schubert chamber comparison - we could probably come up with a schedule for the rest of the year. In fact, depending on how much planning we wanna do, you could put me down for running a couple more "lightning round" games centered on short piano pieces.

Greg's Bruckner 6th should come first.  He's been wanting to do the B6 Blind comparison for months now.   And so have I.  :D

TheGSMoeller

I didn't know about a Schubert BC, not trying to step on any toes.  8)

Also, let me know the preferred format, I for one am fine with media fire which Daniel (MadMahler) uses. But am open for suggestions.

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 02, 2014, 09:24:40 AM
I didn't know about a Schubert BC, not trying to step on any toes.  8)
I think it only got suggested yesterday.

I used Dropbox to post the files for my games, but it was my personal Dropbox so I always had to take care about space.

Hey... what if we created a GMG shared Dropbox account for blind comparison games?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on May 02, 2014, 09:32:51 AM
Hey... what if we created a GMG shared Dropbox account for blind comparison games?

I don't know how Dropbox works but could be a good idea. Is it compatible with iMacs?

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 02, 2014, 09:35:10 AM
I don't know how Dropbox works but could be a good idea. Is it compatible with iMacs?
I'm not an expert, so I might be about to say something very wrong, but I don't think you need necessarily download any software - just log in to a website where a folder of GMG files would sit.

Actually, now that I think about it, that might be completely wrong.

Somebody help us!

Kytrarewn

I'm loving these blind games, and am not very familiar with Bruckner.

I'd definitely be interested in participating, just for the sake of improving my own knowledge.

Cato

Sure, just let us know how this works: I have a 7 year-old Macintosh laptop, and have been noticing that it will not support certain things any more, which are now in "higher" versions.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

amw

Quote from: Brian on May 02, 2014, 07:11:25 AM
I would join in! Maybe consult with amw, who is considering a Schubert chamber comparison - we could probably come up with a schedule for the rest of the year.

No worries, go ahead and start this... I don't really know how to run a comparison, nor do I have enough recordings to do one, so Schubert D956 is still very much in the expressions-of-interest and planning phases.

Ken B

Will this involve full performances, or snippets?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Ken B on May 02, 2014, 07:03:55 PM
Will this involve full performances, or snippets?

My initial thought was first round would be snippets of the opening and closing movements, second round would be a large portion of the adagio and small portion of the scherzo. Then the finale would be full performances. The snippets will be a good length because part of what makes this symphony work so well is the building of and around themes, but I am open for suggestions.

Also, I have 18 recordings but I need to add at least two more names that must be included, otherwise I would face the wrath of Bruckner fanatics everywhere. But I may still keep it at 18, three groups of 6, without any duplicates from conductors as in only one from Wand, Haitink and Jochum. <----Any issues with the one per conductor rule?

mc ukrneal

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 03, 2014, 03:35:07 AM
My initial thought was first round would be snippets of the opening and closing movements, second round would be a large portion of the adagio and small portion of the scherzo. Then the finale would be full performances. The snippets will be a good length because part of what makes this symphony work so well is the building of and around themes, but I am open for suggestions.

Also, I have 18 recordings but I need to add at least two more names that must be included, otherwise I would face the wrath of Bruckner fanatics everywhere. But I may still keep it at 18, three groups of 6, without any duplicates from conductors as in only one from Wand, Haitink and Jochum. <----Any issues with the one per conductor rule?
I would not have such a rule. In fact, I would announce that there is no limit. The reason for this is that once we know there is only one conductor, we may start guessing them as we eliminate others. By keeping it open, we won't be able to do that. Whether you decide to include a conductor only once won't even matter, but it will keep us honest.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: mc ukrneal on May 03, 2014, 03:41:16 AM
I would not have such a rule. In fact, I would announce that there is no limit. The reason for this is that once we know there is only one conductor, we may start guessing them as we eliminate others. By keeping it open, we won't be able to do that. Whether you decide to include a conductor only once won't even matter, but it will keep us honest.

I like it, thank you for the response, Neal.

amw

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 03, 2014, 03:35:07 AM

With 18 recordings, if half of them are to be eliminated each round, the second round would be 9... the third... 4.5?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: amw on May 03, 2014, 03:54:09 AM
With 18 recordings, if half of them are to be eliminated each round, the second round would be 9... the third... 4.5?

Half wouldn't be eliminated, that would be too much from the first group.

And that .5 of the 4.5 could be Furtwangler's since I believe the first movement is still missing.  ;)