Mravinsky recommendations

Started by Peregrine, February 26, 2009, 11:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Shostakovich Symphony No 5 (1937 - premiere recording)
Shostakovich Symphony No 8 (BBC)
Prokofiev Symphony 6 (Russian Disc)
Tchaikovsky Pathetique (DGG)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Drasko

Quote from: Peregrine on February 28, 2009, 03:51:00 AM
I'm really thinking about buying this box, it's just over twenty quid from MDT and I see there's another box from Scribendum as well. Decisions, decisions...

If you don't already have what is in that box (large part of that material was available in BMG Mravinsky Edition, see one of the previous threads), I think you should buy it, 1965 concerts box is truly essential within Mravinsky's discography. Only thing is that I believe Scribendum is dead 'n' gone, so unless MDT (or their supplier) have it in stock I'm not sure they can deliver.

ezodisy

Quote from: Drasko on March 01, 2009, 02:23:16 AM
Only thing is that I believe Scribendum is dead 'n' gone

Their website looks in good shape, apparently you can buy straight from them http://www.silveroakmusic.com/silveroak.html

I once asked them about rereleasing the Ferras Bach S&Ps and they said they would, but nothing

Eddie Williamson

Today I found a copy of Mravinsky/Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra - Beethoven Symphony No. 6, Debussy La Mer + Premiere rapsodie for Clarinet and Orchestra, Russian Disc RD CD 11 159 [1993], mono.  Remastered for Compact Disc by L. Abelyan.  Really enjoying this.  Also found the Prokofiev 6, Scriabin Poem of Ecstacy disc, also on Russian Disc.  Sound isn't too bad.  Really enjoying this.  Sorry, not much to contribute.  More of a 'bump' for this thread than anything else. :)

Drasko

Could anyone having this (or Melodiya box that includes it) give me the performance date for the 3rd?

Renfield

Quote from: Drasko on October 01, 2009, 06:17:03 AM

Could anyone having this (or Melodiya box that includes it) give me the performance date for the 3rd?

My copy is out of reach at the moment, so I can't help right now. :(

But if you don't get another response before long, I'll see about digging it out.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Can anyone tell me if this performance of DSCH 10

is the same as this one?

And if they're different, can anyone compare them?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

vandermolen

Prokofiev Symphony No 6 (Russian Disc or Praga versions)

Shostakovich Symphony 5 (premiere 1938 recording - best ever version)

Tchaikovsky Pathetique (DGG)

Shostakovich Symphony No 8 (BBC Legends or Regis)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Renfield

Quote from: Contents Under Pressure on October 01, 2009, 09:59:55 PM
Can anyone tell me if this performance of DSCH 10

is the same as this one?

And if they're different, can anyone compare them?

1) Nope, they're different. The Melodiya is (IIRC) a much earlier performance.

2) It's been a long while since I've listened to either, alas. Maybe Drasko can help.

But I'm more and more tempted to revisit my Mravinsky collection, with this thread. Certainly some great recordings by his baton.

Drasko

They're different. Both are live recordings from March 1976, Warner/Erato predating Melodiya by some three weeks or so. I prefer the earlier one, there are few pretty obvious orchestral lapses here and there but overall performance strikes me as more involving and tense than technically better played but duller later one (and the sound seemed touch dead on Melodiya).

Could be wrong, heard the Melodiya recording only once and that was some time ago. 

Renfield

Quote from: Drasko on October 03, 2009, 10:12:18 AM
They're different. Both are live recordings from March 1976, Warner/Erato predating Melodiya by some three weeks or so. I prefer the earlier one, there are few pretty obvious orchestral lapses here and there but overall performance strikes me as more involving and tense than technically better played but duller later one (and the sound seemed touch dead on Melodiya).

Could be wrong, heard the Melodiya recording only once and that was some time ago. 

Same, that's why I find it interesting how I thought it was recorded 'much earlier' than the Warner. This could support your finding the sound more involved in the Warner, if it was as uninvolved in the Melodiya as to make me think the Warner was recorded a few years later...

Especially if left such a strong lasting impression, after only one listening.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

If the Warner is the same as the Erato, then I used to have it. I think I got rid of it because of the godawful amount of coughing and audience noise, which was spoiling the experience for me. In this regard the Melodiya seems to be better, though I'm not in a position to compare them now.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Turner

My Top-3 would be quite traditional:

Tchaikovsky: Symphonies 4,5,6 / DG stereo
Hindemith: Symphony Harmonie der Welt
Bartok: Music for Strings ...

... also, Mravinsky was the only one that recorded Salmanov´s 4 symphonies.

Cato

Quote from: Drasko on February 28, 2009, 03:05:24 AM

Here is something I found rather interesting. There is unofficial Mravinsky site (completely in russian) which among other things lists his concert performances, and since all of his recordings post 1961 are concert recordings here is list of stuff that unfortunately wasn't recorded (or maybe languishes in some archives?). Mravinsky's repertoire wasn't ever the broadest one but there are quite a few very enticing titles:

Tchaikovsky... Symphonies No.1 & No.2;

Bruckner 4th...

Mahler 5th...

Honegger Pacific 231; ...

Franck Le Chasseur Maudit

http://www.mravinsky.org/pages/op-list.htm

It seems incredible that the first 3 Tchaikovsky symphonies were never recorded by Mravinsky!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Heck148

Prokofieff #6 was a Mravinsky specialty - the Praga ['67] one  is superb, along with a terrific Beethoven Sym #4 ['55]
Hindemith - Sym -Harmonie der Welt - on a disc with

Honegger - Sym #3 "Liturgique" - a great live performance....incredibly vicious and intense, nothing like it...the "stupid march" [mvt 3] has never sounded so crass and brutal.

vandermolen

Quote from: Heck148 on December 17, 2016, 03:55:41 PM
Prokofieff #6 was a Mravinsky specialty - the Praga ['67] one  is superb, along with a terrific Beethoven Sym #4 ['55]
Hindemith - Sym -Harmonie der Welt - on a disc with

Honegger - Sym #3 "Liturgique" - a great live performance....incredibly vicious and intense, nothing like it...the "stupid march" [mvt 3] has never sounded so crass and brutal.

I very much agree about the Prokofiev and Honegger 'Liturgique' don't know the Hindemith well.

Moonfish

I came across this interesting Mravinsky documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/v/mlDFdo3BXvo
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé