Bruckner's 6th Symphony - Blind Comparison

Started by TheGSMoeller, May 02, 2014, 05:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

Hmm. The blind comparison games I've seen so far seem to eliminate half each round, so I guess that's what I default to assuming. 18 -> 12 -> 6 then?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: amw on May 03, 2014, 04:07:38 AM
Hmm. The blind comparison games I've seen so far seem to eliminate half each round, so I guess that's what I default to assuming. 18 -> 12 -> 6 then?

If I did go with 18 I wouldn't want to eliminate half right away, but that was with my original thought of only one per conductor, but after Neal's post I will probably delete that rule, which in turn will now increase that original number from 18 to closer to 24.

It actually would be interesting to see several conductors going head to head with themselves.

G. String

Quote from: amw on May 02, 2014, 06:38:43 PM
No worries, go ahead and start this... I don't really know how to run a comparison, nor do I have enough recordings to do one, so Schubert D956 is still very much in the expressions-of-interest and planning phases.
I could upload 15 or maybe 20 recordings of 956 for you to download and prepare when you need

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: G. String on May 03, 2014, 04:51:00 AM
I could upload 15 or maybe 20 recordings of 956 for you to download and prepare when you need

Great! There are a few recordings I'm in search of so I'll PM you later with some names.
Thanks, G.

G. String

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 03, 2014, 04:56:11 AM
Great! There are a few recordings I'm in search of so I'll PM you later with some names.
Thanks, G.

Let's re-read and rejoice  ::)

TheGSMoeller

TheGSMoeller

I'll wait a few more weeks to allow Mad's Brahms BC to possibly finalize, but it does look like the Mahler 2nd BC has hit a brick wall. Unless everyone is foaming at the mouth for this to begin I could start sooner.

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 03, 2014, 05:22:26 AM
I'll wait a few more weeks to allow Mad's Brahms BC to possibly finalize, but it does look like the Mahler 2nd BC has hit a brick wall. Unless everyone is foaming at the mouth for this to begin I could start sooner.

TheGSMoeller

amw

Quote from: G. String on May 03, 2014, 04:51:00 AM

That's a kind offer—I have ordered a lot of the versions I want through various libraries, but there are some I haven't found or that would need to be ordered from overseas (which could take 6-8 weeks) so I'll PM you. Bear in mind these will probably be the more difficult to find ones in general. >.>

Ken B

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 03, 2014, 05:13:43 AM
Ah, my brain is stuck on Bruckner 6th.
There are worse things to be stuck on. And some of our regulars are!  >:D

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 03, 2014, 03:35:07 AM
My initial thought was first round would be snippets of the opening and closing movements, second round would be a large portion of the adagio and small portion of the scherzo. Then the finale would be full performances. The snippets will be a good length because part of what makes this symphony work so well is the building of and around themes, but I am open for suggestions.

Also, I have 18 recordings but I need to add at least two more names that must be included, otherwise I would face the wrath of Bruckner fanatics everywhere. But I may still keep it at 18, three groups of 6, without any duplicates from conductors as in only one from Wand, Haitink and Jochum. <----Any issues with the one per conductor rule?

Oh Greg, please let it be the entire Adagio.  It is so gorgeous!  :)

akiralx

I'm in - have a few recordings as I like the work a lot.

Brian

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 04, 2014, 09:03:59 AM
Oh Greg, please let it be the entire Adagio.  It is so gorgeous!  :)

The adagio of Bruckner's Sixth is one of the rare pieces where there's one recording which finally, definitely "sold" me on it - but I suppose, in this of all threads, I shouldn't mention which. Have said it before on GMG, though. :)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on May 04, 2014, 06:39:46 PM
The adagio of Bruckner's Sixth is one of the rare pieces where there's one recording which finally, definitely "sold" me on it - but I suppose, in this of all threads, I shouldn't mention which. Have said it before on GMG, though. :)

23 min adagio?  ;)

Brian

Kytrarewn

For the sake of "preparing" for the blind comparison, could someone let me know a very straightforward canonical orthodox Bruckner6 interpretation I can listen to? PM me if you like.

Not necessarily your favorite recording, just the one with the least "conductor" to it.

madaboutmahler

"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brahmsian

Avatar change:  In anticipation of the Bruckner 6 Blind Comparison!!  :D

Courtesy of Sir Sock Monkey!  8)

Thanks, Greg.  :)

TheGSMoeller

Possible new format for round one: I've been listening to recordings and trying to find the best place to splice the opening movement, and I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to splice it, or rather the movement doesn't deserve to be spliced. So I'm proposing the format of round 1 being the entire opening Maestoso movement, this will result in longer listening times than normal for a first round, but I think the results will benefit greatly from this. And I could start the first round much sooner.

Of course this would also mean that those participating could easily match the running time of the movement with recordings to find out which one they are listening to, I would hope that to be completely fair to all recordings this wouldn't be an issue and would keep it an honest blind comparison.

I look forward to your comments and feedback concerning this proposal.