Bruckner's 6th Symphony - Blind Comparison

Started by TheGSMoeller, May 02, 2014, 05:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Cato on November 07, 2014, 02:27:28 PM
I may have asked about this before: was this conductor included in the comparison?

[asin]B0027LZ4CE[/asin]

Roberto Paternostro?

The Amazon site has 16 reviews: 14 5-star reviews    ??? ??? ???  , and 2 4-star ones!

I am skeptical, but...

I have that set and am going through it a bit at a time.
My reaction is positive but mixed. The best way I can explain it is, think Abravanel. There is some great stuff here, really committed, and some problems with intonation too. A regional orchestra giving its best. I like the feel of it enough to forgive the rough patches (which are not rare). Some terrific sound, and some over reverberance.
I wouldn't want it to be my first or only Bruckner. I prefer it to Wand  :blank:

Paternostro studied with HvK I think. His is a big Bruckner approach.

André

Thanks for the hint. I had not imagined this was so cheap. Your recommendation sealed the deal !  ;D

Cato

Quote from: Ken B on November 07, 2014, 03:19:41 PM
I have that set and am going through it a bit at a time.

Paternostro studied with HvK I think. His is a big Bruckner approach.

Nothing wrong with that!   :D :D

Thanks for the comments: I wondered about all those rave reviews, given the Hinterwäldler nature of the thing!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Ken B

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 07, 2014, 09:13:53 AM
;D :laugh: ;D

You do realize, Ken, that you're going to have to change your tune concerning Ives. If not, you might be blackballed.

Sarge
Nothin' wrong with Ives, nothin' at all.

Brian

Quote from: amw on November 07, 2014, 02:43:44 PM
(are you planning to vote on group J in the Schubert, btw, or should I close it?)
I'll vote on that tomorrow morning (in about 11 hours from this post) :)

TheGSMoeller

Again, a big thank you to everyone. This was a lot of fun, makes me interested in doing another BC soon. Perhaps not as big or long, I would really like to do just an Adagio comparison of the 7th. 
I listened to the 6th a ton during this BC, and my admiration for the work grew even more. I still have some of my old favorites like Nagano, Norrington, Chailly and Blomstedt to name a few, but have really become quite fond of new ones like Davies and Klemperer. Also, amw mentioned Rozhdestvensky in another thread, listen to his version of the finale's coda, it's thrilling.

Hopefully discussions will continue on this thread. And I have some 6th recordings I would be willing to give away or even trade if anyone is interested. I'll list some of them later on.

Cosi bel do

I wasn't here when this comparison started and didn't have time to join it. Also, Bruckner's 6th has never been one of my favourites. Still, it is very interesting and a great read and I'm sure I would have had great fun if I could take part in it.

I love when results are like this, half predictable, half big surprise.
I'll certainly check the Van Zweden version.

TheGSMoeller, could you maybe edit your first post with a summary of the result and/or a link to them ? I still have difficulties seeing what versions were included/omitted and I know such summaries can be useful for the future.

If I make no mistake, the selection was really good but lacked (in my opinion) the following versions :
- Blomstedt with Gewandhaus Leipzig (better than with SFS)
- Rögner with RSO Berlin
- Andreae with Wiener Symphoniker
- Keilberth with Berliner Philharmoniker
- Wand with NDR on RCA (his best version I'd say)
- Sawallisch with Bayerisches Staatsorchester (less sure about this one though)

I thinl almost all these versions would have been strong contenders. But then the organizer always has to make choices and I respect that ;)

Also, if there are tied versions at the second place, Wand should be fourth ;)

amw

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 10, 2014, 04:59:09 AMAlso, amw mentioned Rozhdestvensky in another thread, listen to his version of the finale's coda, it's thrilling.

Rozhdestvensky might actually be my #1 choice if the sound and orchestra were better, interpretive choices are close to ideal for me. I do recommend people investigate.

Have you got the liner notes to the van Zweden cd handy? Apparently, it uses a new revision of the score. I heard only a few differences in the actual notes played, but am curious as to what that version says about tempi and dynamics in particular, or what the differences are otherwise supposed to be.

edit: unbeknownst to me, Rozhdestvensky has in fact recorded lots of Bruckner, including two versions of the 1st symphony and three each of the 3rd and 4th. Bruckner overload, man. I'll come back to him later

Moonfish

In regards to Symphony No 6 I will remain in Jochum's Bruckner temple no matter what!!     >:D 

[asin] B00006YXOX[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Cosi bel do on November 10, 2014, 06:17:32 AM
I wasn't here when this comparison started and didn't have time to join it. Also, Bruckner's 6th has never been one of my favourites. Still, it is very interesting and a great read and I'm sure I would have had great fun if I could take part in it.

I love when results are like this, half predictable, half big surprise.
I'll certainly check the Van Zweden version.

TheGSMoeller, could you maybe edit your first post with a summary of the result and/or a link to them ? I still have difficulties seeing what versions were included/omitted and I know such summaries can be useful for the future.

If I make no mistake, the selection was really good but lacked (in my opinion) the following versions :
- Blomstedt with Gewandhaus Leipzig (better than with SFS)
- Rögner with RSO Berlin
- Andreae with Wiener Symphoniker
- Keilberth with Berliner Philharmoniker
- Wand with NDR on RCA (his best version I'd say)
- Sawallisch with Bayerisches Staatsorchester (less sure about this one though)

I thinl almost all these versions would have been strong contenders. But then the organizer always has to make choices and I respect that ;)

Also, if there are tied versions at the second place, Wand should be fourth ;)

Hi, Cosi, thank you for your interest. I'll compile a list of all recordings used along with the recording year and the version.

And there will always be good versions left out of the comparisons. It's happened with all of them. These are not definitive contests to crown the true best recording of a work, but just a fun comparison. Similar with the Berlioz fantastique comparison I like to throw in a few discs that either aren't as popular or not heavily acclaimed to see how far they can make it. Also availability and accessibility of a recording is important as I didn't want to spend too much money for this.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: amw on November 10, 2014, 08:57:38 AM
Rozhdestvensky might actually be my #1 choice if the sound and orchestra were better, interpretive choices are close to ideal for me. I do recommend people investigate.

Have you got the liner notes to the van Zweden cd handy? Apparently, it uses a new revision of the score. I heard only a few differences in the actual notes played, but am curious as to what that version says about tempi and dynamics in particular, or what the differences are otherwise supposed to be.

edit: unbeknownst to me, Rozhdestvensky has in fact recorded lots of Bruckner, including two versions of the 1st symphony and three each of the 3rd and 4th. Bruckner overload, man. I'll come back to him later

It says Nowak, 1952. Some interesting notes inside about the various editions, I'll try to snap pics of it and post it.

amw

Hmm, really? I was following along with that score and noticed one place where Zweden was significantly different (the horns near the start of the trio section) (though I suppose that's not really a 'significant' difference by Brucknerian standards of revision).

Moonfish

This was so much fun. This was the summer I fell in love with Bruckner's 6th.  Yay!
Good memories!

Anyways, I came across a comparative article on MusicWeb that Bruckner 6 maniacs may take interest in.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Jan/Bruckner_sy6_article_CH.pdf

Bruckner 6 ad below....  >:D

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Cato

Quote from: Moonfish on May 23, 2018, 01:10:01 AM
This was so much fun. This was the summer I fell in love with Bruckner's 6th.  Yay!
Good memories!

Anyways, I came across a comparative article on MusicWeb that Bruckner 6 maniacs may take interest in.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Jan/Bruckner_sy6_article_CH.pdf

Many thanks!  Has it been four years since the epic BRUCKNER SIXTH SYMPHONY  8) BLIND  8) COMPARISON?!

And yes to that recording, the first one of the work I had ever heard, by (unofficial)  0:)  Saint Eugen Jochum!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

TheGSMoeller

Wow! Seeing this pop up on my Unread list made me do a double take. Yes this was a ton of fun, and I still have around 20 Bruckner 6th recordings lying around to constantly remind me it.  ;D

Quote from: Moonfish on May 23, 2018, 01:10:01 AM
Good memories!

Thanks for posting the article! Contained recordings I've never heard, and more importantly not in the Blind Comparison, perhaps we need to revisit it with new contenders?  ;)

Moonfish

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 23, 2018, 03:47:32 AM
Wow! Seeing this pop up on my Unread list made me do a double take. Yes this was a ton of fun, and I still have around 20 Bruckner 6th recordings lying around to constantly remind me it.  ;D

Thanks for posting the article! Contained recordings I've never heard, and more importantly not in the Blind Comparison, perhaps we need to revisit it with new contenders?  ;)

???

:P

And thanks for organizing it and making it happen back then, Greg. It was a very cool experience!
I was going camping with my kids that summer. While driving we had Bruckner 6 blasting in the car. Ha ha ha! People probably wondered which planet we came from?
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Just listening to a Bruckner 6 (Wand/Kölner Rundfunk [Wand's 1st cycle]) and it is a mesmerizing symphony....    0:)

*engrained upon the soul after summer 2014*

Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Cato on May 23, 2018, 02:25:55 AM
Many thanks!  Has it been four years since the epic BRUCKNER SIXTH SYMPHONY  8) BLIND  8) COMPARISON?!

And yes to that recording, the first one of the work I had ever heard, by (unofficial)  0:)  Saint Eugen Jochum!   0:)

:D

Hail Saint Eugen Jochum!

Anna Lappé

Pat B

Quote from: Moonfish on May 23, 2018, 12:26:10 PM
(Wand/Kölner Rundfunk [Wand's 1st cycle])

Well, that is his only cycle, though he did record the 8th approximately 973 times.

Moonfish

Quote from: Pat B on May 24, 2018, 11:27:46 AM
Well, that is his only cycle, though he did record the 8th approximately 973 times.

True - his only complete cycle - I guess he avoided 1-3 quite a bit!  :'(   I still view his latter recordings as a type/variation of "cycles" (although incomplete) . My bad!  Plenty of Wand's Bruckner recordings out there!!!   ???
Anna Lappé