Bruckner's 6th Symphony - Blind Comparison

Started by TheGSMoeller, May 02, 2014, 05:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 08, 2014, 10:35:07 AM
Possible new format for round one: I've been listening to recordings and trying to find the best place to splice the opening movement, and I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to splice it, or rather the movement doesn't deserve to be spliced. So I'm proposing the format of round 1 being the entire opening Maestoso movement, this will result in longer listening times than normal for a first round, but I think the results will benefit greatly from this. And I could start the first round much sooner.

Of course this would also mean that those participating could easily match the running time of the movement with recordings to find out which one they are listening to, I would hope that to be completely fair to all recordings this wouldn't be an issue and would keep it an honest blind comparison.

I look forward to your comments and feedback concerning this proposal.

I am fine with the entire movement!

I have the DGG Jochum and the Lopez-Cobos on Telarc with the Cincinnati Symphony, i.e. I am unacquainted with most, so I will be almost "blind." And so be sure to explain how to access the other versions from the website.   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Quote from: karlhenning on May 08, 2014, 11:10:07 AM
Proceed, O sublime Monkey!
Indeed. There are two important groups of people here: those doing the work and those who get to decide. Greg is the sole memeber of each group!

amw

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 08, 2014, 10:35:07 AM
Of course this would also mean that those participating could easily match the running time of the movement with recordings to find out which one they are listening to, I would hope that to be completely fair to all recordings this wouldn't be an issue and would keep it an honest blind comparison.

Could always add a few seconds of silence before or after so as to throw people off the track.

North Star

Quote from: amw on May 08, 2014, 06:20:13 PM
Could always add a few seconds of silence before or after so as to throw people off the track.
Nah - that relatively easy to take into account if someone is trying to match the recordings - what would really work is silences in the middle of the music  :laugh:
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

amw

Hmm, you guys go to a lot of trouble to cheat at these blind comparisons ;P

Karl Henning

I think the honor system is fine;  if one wins by cheating, one still gets what one earned ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

UPDATE:

I have chosen 24 recordings that will compete for the ultimate title. I struggled with only choosing 18 but there were too many good names that would have been left out, and also decided to scratch my initial proposal of only one recording per conductor (or did I?  :o )
Point system will be simple, the higher the rank the higher the points, the lower the rank the lower the points, with 5 pts always being the highest per round, and the lowest pts depending on the round and how many recordings are still in the group.
There will be 4 rounds. Why? Because there are 4 movements. But the third round, which will feature only the Scherzo-Trio and will see the 4 groups combine to 2, will be given separate scores but then will also allow the points from the previous rounds to be added to the remaining recordings for a total point total to determine who makes the final four! So not only will the participants be scoring the Scherzo but could also just be trying to get their favorites more points to make the final.
It may be different but I think it will be fun!

Round 1 - 1st movement: 4 groups of 6 recordings. 2 from each group will be eliminated with the lowest points. (Haven't decided on a tiebreaker system for this round yet)

Round 2 - 2nd movement: 4 groups of 4 recordings. 2 from each group will be eliminated with the lowest points. (Tiebreaker will be point totals from round 1 and 2)

Round 3 - 3rd movement: 2 groups of 4 recordings (groups A and D will combine, and groups B and C will combine) 2 recordings from each group will move to the final four based on the highest total points from the three rounds. (Will allow another recording to continue to final if there is a tie)

Round 4 - final movement (or entire piece). 1 group of the final four. Highest points in this round win. (In the case of a tie, total points from all four rounds will be combined)

Too much to think about? Don't sweat it, just listen and rank and I'll do the rest.

I'm currently waiting on 3 recordings to be delivered and then I can finish uploading the tracks.

Looking at the second week of June for a start date at the latest, so please leave message on this board or PM me if you're interested in participating. Bear with me as I'm a busy man and this is my first BC where I'm in control of the recordings, but I do plan to keep rolling with no delay in between rounds once we begin.

Pim

Brian

Brahmsian

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Moonfish

Can I join in as as well? This sounds like fun!   ::)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 22, 2014, 06:23:15 PM
UPDATE:

I'm currently waiting on 3 recordings to be delivered and then I can finish uploading the tracks.

Some aid is on the way!  ;D

TheGSMoeller

akiralx

TheGSMoeller

Will continue to bump this thread for more participants, leave a post here on the thread or PM me. Hopefully by next week I'll start putting you into groups.
Recordings and their groups are set, just waiting on two more to arrive in the mail. Still working out a few bugs with the dropbox format (thanks to my test subjects who have so far shown no signs of side-effects).

Second week of June is my desired start, stay tuned.  8)

Brian

Huzzah!

Oh. I will be in France for almost the entire month of July, so probably will be skipping round 2 altogether and returning for the third.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on May 29, 2014, 07:11:11 PM
Huzzah!

Oh. I will be in France for almost the entire month of July, so probably will be skipping round 2 altogether and returning for the third.

That is not a good reason to miss this comparison, Brian.  >:D

Ok, it's a good reason. 
I'll send you the files to your email for round 2 and you can listen to the 16 Adagios while vacationing. Nothing says Viva La France like Bruckner!

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 29, 2014, 07:16:00 PM
I'll send you the files to your email for round 2 and you can listen to the 16 Adagios while vacationing. Nothing says Viva La France like Bruckner!

:D