Bruckner's 6th Symphony - Blind Comparison

Started by TheGSMoeller, May 02, 2014, 05:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

TheGSMoeller

So far I have...

Cato, Karl, Moonfish, Pim, ChamberNut, Sarge, Jens, Brian, Drosera, Kytrarewn, akiralx, Neal, Mad Daniel, Lisztianwagner, MishaK ..

did I leave anyone off? Please leave a post of PM if you're interested or I left you off.  Getting close to beginning.

Lisztianwagner

Sounds interesting, I would like to take part too.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

TheGSMoeller

MishaK

I'm interested too. A few years ago I compared all the Bruckner symphonies available on Spotify, so this will be interesting to see if this confirms what I thought then.

TheGSMoeller

Got ya, MishaK:)

Waiting for one more recording to arrive! Once it does I'll finish uploading the tracks and then we will begin. It could possibly be as early as this Friday.
Please leave a post or PM if you're interested or if I've left off your name on the list above.

Brian

Greg, just a quick alert, I am about to post a "Lightning Round" blind comparison of a piano piece (like, tonight). I'm just letting you know as a courtesy - certainly do not hope it will affect your plans or your schedule or the Bruckner game at all, it should be over very fast and is in a totally different genre.  :)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on June 02, 2014, 06:13:47 PM
Greg, just a quick alert, I am about to post a "Lightning Round" blind comparison of a piano piece (like, tonight). I'm just letting you know as a courtesy - certainly do not hope it will affect your plans or your schedule or the Bruckner game at all, it should be over very fast and is in a totally different genre.  :)

As long as it's not a piano transcription of Bruckner's 6th symphony I don't see how it would interfere.  ;D
Thanks, Brian!

akiralx

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 02, 2014, 04:05:13 PM
Got ya, MishaK:)

Waiting for one more recording to arrive! Once it does I'll finish uploading the tracks and then we will begin.

Where are you uploading them to?

TheGSMoeller

TheGSMoeller

Here We Go!

I will be leaving a PM to all participates that will be separating them into their respective groups. This will begin tonight and hopefully will be completed by tomorrow. I currently have 15 users who have shown interest, Groups A, C and D have four participants in each group and B only has three as of now. But of course you can judge any of the groups, the more votes the better, and perhaps more players will jump aboard as we move on.
I will be shooting for a deadline of June 20-21 for votes, which gives just over two weeks. If more time is needed we can discuss it for sure. But I would like to have round 2 begin on June 23rd or 24th.

Round 1 - 1st movement: 4 groups of 6 recordings. 2 from each group will be eliminated with the lowest points. 

The higher the ranking, the higher the points. For the first round it's 5 points for the highest ranked recording in a list, 0 points for the lowest ranked in a list.

I'm excited for the comparison to begin, it's filled with great performances.

Drosera

6 recordings (of full movements, I presume), that's quite a bit of listening. Thankfully, it's a long weekend here in the low countries.

Looking forward to it. Thanks for organizing this!

Ken B

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 04, 2014, 05:18:38 PM

I'm excited for the comparison to begin, it's filled with great performances.

So we're not going to play Spot the Zubin Mehta then?

TheGSMoeller

Groups A and B have been sent, C and D will follow in about an hour or two. Please let me know if there are any problems, I've tested them with two other users and no issues so far.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Drosera on June 05, 2014, 08:22:15 AM

Looking forward to it. Thanks for organizing this!

You're welcome! I hope you enjoy this.  ;D

Quote from: Ken B on June 05, 2014, 01:12:19 PM
So we're not going to play Spot the Zubin Mehta then?

Way to spoil the winner for the rest of the group.  :'(

Brian

Hey Greg, I just discovered a "feature" I had never seen before. Dropbox told me that because I was using so much bandwidth from people listening to the Bach/Busoni clips (which are big files to be fair), my account had been temporarily suspended. On a first "offense" you can undo this, so I undid it. This has never happened to me before, including three or four blind listening games like the Ravel Gaspard. I don't know what the trigger is or when it will happen again.

I'm gonna quote the email so you're forewarned:

"Hi Brian,

This email is an automated notification from Dropbox that your Public links have been temporarily suspended for generating excessive traffic. Your Dropbox will continue to function normally with the exception of Public links.

For more information on suspended links, please visit the Help Center. If this is your first suspension, you may remove the suspension by visiting your account page.

- The Dropbox Team   "

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on June 05, 2014, 06:01:12 PM
Hey Greg, I just discovered a "feature" I had never seen before. Dropbox told me that because I was using so much bandwidth from people listening to the Bach/Busoni clips (which are big files to be fair), my account had been temporarily suspended. On a first "offense" you can undo this, so I undid it. This has never happened to me before, including three or four blind listening games like the Ravel Gaspard. I don't know what the trigger is or when it will happen again.

I'm gonna quote the email so you're forewarned:

"Hi Brian,

This email is an automated notification from Dropbox that your Public links have been temporarily suspended for generating excessive traffic. Your Dropbox will continue to function normally with the exception of Public links.

For more information on suspended links, please visit the Help Center. If this is your first suspension, you may remove the suspension by visiting your account page.

- The Dropbox Team   "

Interesting, and potential bad news for the comparison. I've always been a little uneasy about sharing these files over the internet but hopefully nothing of this sort will happen. Thanks for the heads up, Brian.

amw

Dropbox isn't great for high traffic files—some other (semi-)reliable file sharing sites you can try:

http://mega.co.nz/
http://www.firedrive.com/
http://1fichier.com/

this being the internet there's of course no guarantee of any of them surviving very long.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: amw on June 05, 2014, 07:31:57 PM
Dropbox isn't great for high traffic files—some other (semi-)reliable file sharing sites you can try:

http://mega.co.nz/
http://www.firedrive.com/
http://1fichier.com/

this being the internet there's of course no guarantee of any of them surviving very long.

I'll keep those in mind. Thanks, amw.

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 05, 2014, 01:49:14 PM
Groups A and B have been sent, C and D will follow in about an hour or two. Please let me know if there are any problems, I've tested them with two other users and no issues so far.

At the ready! the files are;  this listener won't be, for a couple of days ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot