Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 18, 2014, 08:37:57 AM
I know nothing!  :-X

At FB, I posted a Will Durant quote, One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say.

To which my brother Keith appended, Also, to know.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Brahmsian

Dreaming of Bruckner Adagio Dreamland!  :-*

Meanwhile, current forecast:

:D

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 19, 2014, 10:09:10 AM

Maybe a week to ten days and it'll be ready. This should be a most interesting round.

Perhaps now is a good time to ask if there are any users that did not participate in Round 1 that would interested now. If so leave a post here or PM me.
All users that did participate I will automatically send links to.

Cato

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 19, 2014, 11:25:29 AM
Maybe a week to ten days and it'll be ready. This should be a most interesting round.

Perhaps now is a good time to ask if there are any users that did not participate in Round 1 that would interested now. If so leave a post here or PM me.

Many thanks for taking the time to put everything together!

Here is a nice version of Bruckner Adagio Land!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Moonfish

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 19, 2014, 11:25:29 AM

Looking forward to it! This time I will not procrastinate!!   :)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 19, 2014, 10:09:10 AM

Ah downtown Winnipeg, nice to see it again.

8)

TheGSMoeller

Sorry for the delay...

Round 2 - The Adagio will be available in about two days, hopefully by Tuesday evening. Any new participants?  ;D

EigenUser

I have had the Bruckner 6 score sitting on my bookshelf for over a month and I finally listened to it today. I only got to hear the first movement (I got called in for dinner), but I loved it!! I certainly don't know the piece so I don't want to participate here, but I anxiously wait the outcome as I want to get a recording of it.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: EigenUser on July 28, 2014, 05:00:24 PM
I have had the Bruckner 6 score sitting on my bookshelf for over a month and I finally listened to it today. I only got to hear the first movement (I got called in for dinner), but I loved it!! I certainly don't know the piece so I don't want to participate here, but I anxiously wait the outcome as I want to get a recording of it.

So glad to read your enthusiasm about the 6th. It's a great piece, and arguably Bruckner's best!  ;)  ;D
Don't wait until the very end, Nate. There were even a few good ones that got canned in Round 1. It's pretty exciting to think about the next round, there are some heavy hitters in there.

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on July 28, 2014, 05:00:24 PM
Confucius say true wisdom is buy Karajan or Jochum set, get all symphony good recording cheap.

Confucius is grammar-challenged but wise.

TheGSMoeller

Groups will begin being sent this evening. If you don't receive a PM by tomorrow afternoon and want to participate in Round 2 please let me know.

And no spoilers this round please.  :-X  ;)

Brian

Huh. I called Herbie's Berlin PO "second-rate," but I really liked Solti. Solti was, surprisingly, slower than Celibidache! Too bad that got cut.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 29, 2014, 05:52:09 PM
Groups will begin being sent this evening. If you don't receive a PM by tomorrow afternoon and want to participate in Round 2 please let me know.

And no spoilers this round please.  :-X  ;)

I should also add that I only sent links to those users who gave scores in Round 1. But of course the more scores the better, also better the chance that Mehta doesn't run away with this thing, I wouldn't want to anger Ken.

mc ukrneal

B Group

B1 - Nice start, but woodwinds seem too light in its phrasing (though not as bad as B4). Impact from the brass and the strings is just gorgeous though. Place where horn and woodwind play together, seems a bit out of tune (the horn). I think I would prefer a slightly faster tempo, but I can't fault this execution. The crescendo in the middle is T O  D I E  F O R! (I went back and listened to that part like 4-5 times in a row, after listening to the rest). I like this version - it has nibbles and quibbles, but overall the impact comes across very well. Orchestral sound is very good. Rank: 1

B2 - More gravitas here from the woodwinds. Here is a dark and moving opening. Frankly, it's another good version. I think the strings aren't quite as good as in B1, nor do the lower brass/strings make quite the same impact as in B1. Despite being faster, when it gets to the quiet parts, it loses momentum just a bit (which I never got from B1). The big crescendo in the middle seems to fizzle a bit. But overall, still pretty decent.  Rank: 4

B3 - Another nice start, though here a bit of rubato/expressivity from the woodwinds. There is a certain lightness to this, a result of the faster speed I think, but it seems to float effortlessly and yet still packs a punch where it needs to. The middle crescendo is good, though B1 is the one that really hits it best so far. The ending (coda), however, is exquisite.  Rank: 2

B4 - Yet another beautiful start. Woodwinds do not seem to have the same gravitas and are too perky, like in B1. I think B3 actually did the opening best. I wish the strings had just a bit fuller sound. Faster into the crescendo section. Maybe too fast, but execution is still good.   Rank: 3

I don't know if it was a conscious decision or not, but they move from slowest to fastest, with a difference of 6.30 betwwen B1 and B4. To put this in perspective, B4 was at the pub enjoying a pint while the guys from B1 were still only just over 2/3 of the way through! I clearly preferred the tempo faster, and yet, perhaps a surprise to the reader, I have put B1 in first place. In the end, we are evaluating the performances (not my preferences) and B1 just nailed it throughout. They were helped by a gorgeous sound as well. This is an orchestra to revel in frankly.

So overall, B1 in first. I liked B2 the least, but it is not actually a bad version at all. That leaves a tough decision between B3 and B4. I think I will put B3 ahead of B4, mostly due to the fabulous ending (coda) that seems so right. They are otherwise closely matched. But I have to add, they all have some wonderful moments. 

B1, B3, B4, B2.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

TheGSMoeller

Thank you, Neal, for the scores and greatly detailed comments.  8)

Brian

Blorp, I've listened to C1, C2, and C3, and I can tell they're all different, but I'm so taken with this music that I loved them all. Unless they're just all really good. Will have to listen twice, at least!

Brian

Quote from: Brian on August 04, 2014, 10:44:19 AM
Blorp, I've listened to C1, C2, and C3, and I can tell they're all different, but I'm so taken with this music that I loved them all. Unless they're just all really good. Will have to listen twice, at least!
And C4 is just perfect. Dang this is gonna be hard.