Bruckner's 6th Symphony - Blind Comparison

Started by TheGSMoeller, May 02, 2014, 05:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

Wow, everyone put Jochum/EMI in last place. XD

I am also surprised by the elimination of Wand. (I didn't hear that performance, but he's usually quite well regarded by 'purists'.)

TheGSMoeller

The semifinal is going to be way too much fun! I'm actually listening to some of the Finales from the recordings that moved on right now.  ;D

There are now two Groups, X and Y, each with 4 recordings. I will have these ready to go in a few days, I'm leaving on Saturday for a week but will have limited access to WiFi, when I decide to drive into town and find the Barnes and Noble or Starbucks. PM me or leave a message here on this thread if you want in a group. Otherwise I will split up the two groups between only those who participated in Round 2, but new participants are always welcomed!

Moonfish

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 06, 2014, 06:16:31 PM
The Rest of Round 2 Eliminations

Group A

A4

oh no!!!  I wish I had finished the A set - only listened to A1-A3!   
Jochum on DG is my favorite Bruckner 6.    :'( :'( :'(
All hope is lost.......
A bottle of wine is needed!

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Ken B on September 06, 2014, 06:31:52 PM
Sarge.

The Jochum/Dresden elimination was a group effort...but yeah, my late entry into the A group doomed Jochum/SOBR. Sorry, Cato!

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on September 06, 2014, 11:04:24 PM
oh no!!!  I wish I had finished the A set - only listened to A1-A3!   
Jochum on DG is my favorite Bruckner 6.    :'( :'( :'(
All hope is lost.......
A bottle of wine is needed!

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 07, 2014, 04:13:05 AM
The Jochum/Dresden elimination was a group effort...but yeah, my late entry into the A group doomed Jochum/SOBR. Sorry, Cato!

Sarge
I thought you nixed both Jochums Sarge?
Sarge is right, the voters all dissed the Joch, but can I infer from this Sarge that had I asked you last week you'd have listed Jochum as a favourite?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Ken B on September 07, 2014, 05:59:09 AM
Sarge is right, the voters all dissed the Joch, but can I infer from this Sarge that had I asked you last week you'd have listed Jochum as a favourite?

I did nix both but everyone in the group placed the EMI last so I can't take complete credit for that. Actually Jochum is one of my least favorite Bruckner conductors. That I placed both last in their groups does not surprise me. There are exceptions: I like his Dresden Fourth and Ninth, the Concertgebouw Fifth, the Bavarian Second. Favorite Sixths are: Dohnányi, Stein, Sawallisch, Klemperer, Celi, Norrington.

Sarge

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Ken B on September 07, 2014, 05:59:09 AM

No dissing here, just a question of preference. I actually own the Jochum/EMI set, but did not recoginze it. I actually thought I liked the EMI set, but now I am starting to wonder!! :)

And it wasn't Sarge's fault at all. For once, the stars aligmed, and we actually voted on the same party line. I'm sure it won't last!! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Lisztianwagner

I was quite busy in the last two weeks, I'm deeply sorry to have missed the second round of the Bruckner Blind Comparison, hope to take part to the next one! The results are interesting, I wonder which are the recordings still in the running!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 07, 2014, 11:58:08 AM
I was quite busy in the last two weeks, I'm deeply sorry to have missed the second round of the Bruckner Blind Comparison, hope to take part to the next one! The results are interesting, I wonder which are the recordings still in the running!

No need to apologize! And yes please join the next round, I'll include you! Thanks!

amw

Could we have some information about what the eliminated recordings were in the previous round as well? I'm slightly curious...

TheGSMoeller

Here are the Round 2 eliminations and their labeling, Round 1/Round 2

B4/C2 – BARENBOIM/BERLIN
B5/C1 – WAND/MUNICH

A3/D3 – SKROWACZEWSKI/SAARBRUCKEN
A4/D2 – NORRINGTON/STUGGART

C1/B4 – GIELEN/BADEN-BADEN
C3/B2 – JOCHUM/DRESDEN

D1/A4 – JOCHUM/BRSO(DG)
D5/A2 – NAGANO/DEUTSCHES-BERLIN

Round 3 Groups so far, will send links out on Wednesday, let me know if you wish to join!  8)
Group X - Jens, ChamberNut, Brian, Moonfish, amw
Group Y - Sarge, Cato, Neal, LisztianWagner, Pim

mc ukrneal

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 07, 2014, 05:16:47 PM
Here are the Round 2 eliminations and their labeling, Round 1/Round 2

B4/C2 – BARENBOIM/BERLIN
B5/C1 – WAND/MUNICH

A3/D3 – SKROWACZEWSKI/SAARBRUCKEN
A4/D2 – NORRINGTON/STUGGART

C1/B4 – GIELEN/BADEN-BADEN
C3/B2 – JOCHUM/DRESDEN

D1/A4 – JOCHUM/BRSO(DG)
D5/A2 – NAGANO/DEUTSCHES-BERLIN

Round 3 Groups so far, will send links out on Wednesday, let me know if you wish to join!  8)
Group X - Jens, ChamberNut, Brian, Moonfish, amw
Group Y - Sarge, Cato, Neal, LisztianWagner, Pim
Foul! Yellow card! Cato and Sarge in the same group?!?! With me??@!! As they say, "Oi Vey!"

Interesting that I had Jochum first and second in the first round and dead last in the second.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 08, 2014, 03:38:23 AM
Interesting that I had Jochum first and second in the first round and dead last in the second.

Yeah, same here. I had the Jochum DG first in round 1 and last in round 2. Curious.

Sarge

Brian

I gave Nagano my highest rating in the first round, of any clip from any group I heard. It was in fact my only 10! I did not hear it in the second round, so you jerks knocked out my apparent #1 favorite. Will have to listen to that one in full to see if the rest is as good as the first movement.

QuoteD5.Whoa, I LOVE the way the cellos phrase their opening phrase. They really dig into it, express way more than anyone else does. The trumpet is kinda nasally, but everything else is fantastic. Love the violas at 2:30. Checking in at 6:00 to say that this is bearing down on a 10/10 score. Man, I don't even have anything to say about this impressive orchestra, flawless conducting, and expressive phrasing, except to say the standard has been set. The quick diminuendo-crescendo thing around 16:00, which is definitely not in the text (?), is the only moment of controversy here.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 08, 2014, 03:38:23 AM
Foul! Yellow card! Cato and Sarge in the same group?!?! With me??@!! As they say, "Oi Vey!"

Placing Sarge in a group is most difficult, I think I figured out that he owns about 65% of the recordings used. But history has shown that he doesn't always keep his favorites in these comparisons.  ;)
Plus, Sarge and Cato's Group A scoring from round 2 was nothing alike so I have faith that will split on these four.

Quote from: Brian on September 08, 2014, 04:30:13 AM
I gave Nagano my highest rating in the first round, of any clip from any group I heard. It was in fact my only 10! I did not hear it in the second round, so you jerks knocked out my apparent #1 favorite. Will have to listen to that one in full to see if the rest is as good as the first movement.

I'm a little bummed to see Nagano out myself, I think its a fantastic performance, in fact I believe Nagano's finale would have beaten some of the ones in the semi's right now, but that's the way the playoffs go!

I will say that there are 2 underdogs that have gone further than I really expected.

Also, I did purchase several of these recordings just for the comparison, so at the end I may put some up for a disc swap if anyone is interested. Even though I love this piece, I think I could live with a little less than 22 recordings.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Brian on September 08, 2014, 04:30:13 AM

I put it in first in the second round - alas, it was not enough.

Brian

Just listened to Nagano complete. LOVED it. Looking back at the ballots, A was Cato's "Group of Death" and all four voters actually liked Nagano, Neal and Sarge in particular. Guess the other entries in group A are just that good.

I am really taken with the Nagano performance. I have hopes of hearing an even better one in the final round, but if not, the game will still be worth it for me!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Brian on September 08, 2014, 08:57:27 AM
Just listened to Nagano complete. LOVED it. Looking back at the ballots, A was Cato's "Group of Death" and all four voters actually liked Nagano, Neal and Sarge in particular. Guess the other entries in group A are just that good.

I am really taken with the Nagano performance. I have hopes of hearing an even better one in the final round, but if not, the game will still be worth it for me!
This is why I like these exercises. You get a chance to hear all sorts of different ideas about the same piece of music. It also helped me solidify what I enjoy most in the music and what approach gives me that. Interestingly in this piece, I have chosen some wildly different interpretations.

The A group was a very good group - I think this one would have gotten through in a different group (or perhaps with more voters).