Bruckner's 6th Symphony - Blind Comparison

Started by TheGSMoeller, May 02, 2014, 05:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 10, 2014, 07:30:07 AM
I will go 1st place = 4 pts, 2nd = 3pts, 3rd = 2pts and last place will get 1 pt.

Neal do you want Y4-4 pts and the others split so each gets 2 pts? Are you sure there's not one of those 3 you liked better?
I was afraid you might say that, so I was prepared just in case. I added in rankings.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

TheGSMoeller

Oy!
I'm about to leave for a week, I'll have access to the Internet but only through mobile devices. Let me know by the end of the day if you need links.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 13, 2014, 04:43:12 AM
Oy!
I'm about to leave for a week, I'll have access to the Internet but only through mobile devices. Let me know by the end of the day if you need links.

Send me the links to the X group please.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

TheGSMoeller

Sergeant Rock

Ken B

Moonfish

Greg,
As this is the semi-finale I think that you should either keep the groups defined or, alternatively,  send the links to all the participants on the tier.  As the blind comparison has proceeded it seems to become more of an arbitrary (although fun) exercise in listening to Bruckner's 6th. I do think that the outcomes are greatly affected by people voting on several sets of 4, 8 or 12 rather than the initial assigned set. On the other hand this is not the World Cup......  or is it...?   He he he        ;)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Brian

Quote from: Moonfish on September 13, 2014, 10:53:51 AMOn the other hand this is not the World Cup......  or is it...?
This just in, the Sao Paulo Symphony recording has lost 7-1

Cato

Here we go!  ??? ??? ???

Y 1 A live audience is barely audible only now and then.  IN the opening, the brass is just a little ragged, but the recorded sound is very good.  Tempo in general is a little slow for my taste, but acceptable.  At times the strings sound a little stodgy, perhaps because of the tempo.  Dynamic contrasts are good, as are the crescendos.  The final minutes have the requisite wonder and power.

Y 2 WOW!  Very impressive opening: crisp clear brass sound, all the lines are audible, just wonderful!  The brass players sound like the steroid shots have kicked in!  Energy stays high throughout the performance without sacrificing subtlety and mystery in the slower sections.  The dynamics and clarity of the lines remain outstanding: great excitement at c. 8:50 onward, and the final minutes are as perfect as you will find!

The conductor was obviously  ???  communing with the  0:) Great Spirit  0:) of SAINT EUGEN JOCHUM while leading this performance!  8)

Y 3 Call this the Drum Roll Performance!  The timpanist must have had steroid shots!  He lets you know that he is part of the orchestra and has something to say!   The brass power at the beginning is a little more restrained than in the others.  Tempo is similar to Y 1, but has more expressivity, perhaps due to greater dynamic contrast.  Recording is more spacious by a small amount than the others   Great power in the climax at 4:40 onward.  And again, an excellent slide into homeplate to win the game!

Y 4  WOW again!  BIG opening to rival Y 2!  This is another crisp, headlong performance!  Lines are fairly clear, although the brass obviously think the symphony is all about them at times!  Tempo is close to that of Y 2, i.e. nothing drags, but the slower softer sections are handled well.  (A few creaking chairs now and then, and other minor noises are audible at those times).  Final minutes are an addictive drug to be handled with care!

0:) Saint Eugen Jochum  0:)  may indeed have left the building after this performance!  :laugh:

Very difficult!

However, my votes:

Y 2

Y4

Y 3

Y 1

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

TheGSMoeller

Group Y
4,1,3,2 - Neal
2,4,3,1 - Cato

Nice contrast so far, thank you, Gents!

Ken B

Quote from: Cato on September 17, 2014, 03:03:30 PM
Here we go!  ??? ??? ???

Y 1 A live audience is barely audible only now and then.  IN the opening, the brass is just a little ragged, but the recorded sound is very good.  Tempo in general is a little slow for my taste, but acceptable.  At times the strings sound a little stodgy, perhaps because of the tempo.  Dynamic contrasts are good, as are the crescendos.  The final minutes have the requisite wonder and power.

Y 2 WOW!  Very impressive opening: crisp clear brass sound, all the lines are audible, just wonderful!  The brass players sound like the steroid shots have kicked in!  Energy stays high throughout the performance without sacrificing subtlety and mystery in the slower sections.  The dynamics and clarity of the lines remain outstanding: great excitement at c. 8:50 onward, and the final minutes are as perfect as you will find!

The conductor was obviously  ???  communing with the  0:) Great Spirit  0:) of SAINT EUGEN JOCHUM while leading this performance!  8)

Y 3 Call this the Drum Roll Performance!  The timpanist must have had steroid shots!  He lets you know that he is part of the orchestra and has something to say!   The brass power at the beginning is a little more restrained than in the others.  Tempo is similar to Y 1, but has more expressivity, perhaps due to greater dynamic contrast.  Recording is more spacious by a small amount than the others   Great power in the climax at 4:40 onward.  And again, an excellent slide into homeplate to win the game!

Y 4  WOW again!  BIG opening to rival Y 2!  This is another crisp, headlong performance!  Lines are fairly clear, although the brass obviously think the symphony is all about them at times!  Tempo is close to that of Y 2, i.e. nothing drags, but the slower softer sections are handled well.  (A few creaking chairs now and then, and other minor noises are audible at those times).  Final minutes are an addictive drug to be handled with care!

0:) Saint Eugen Jochum  0:)  may indeed have left the building after this performance!  :laugh:

Very difficult!

However, my votes:

Y 2

Y4

Y 3

Y 1

Am I misremembering? Didn't you vote out St EJ yourself?

Cato

Quote from: Ken B on September 17, 2014, 06:40:41 PM

No, in keeping with the chaos in the world today, he was voted out, but I was not one of the perpetrators!  ;)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Ken B on September 17, 2014, 06:40:41 PM

No, he put Jochum in first place (A4):

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 06, 2014, 02:41:08 PM
Group A

Cato           ChamberNut     Sarge        Neal
A4             A3                      A1           A2 - 13 pts
A3             A4                      A3           A1 - 13 pts
A1             A2                      A2           A3 - 16 pts
A2             A1                      A4           A4 - 13 pts

Ken B

Quote from: Cato on September 18, 2014, 03:09:25 AM
No, in keeping with the chaos in the world today, he was voted out, but I was not one of the perpetrators!  ;)
Ah, good man. Sorry for the implication!

Brahmsian

Quote from: Ken B on September 18, 2014, 07:51:37 AM

Neither was I.  I had St. Jochum as my # 2, although had I put him # 1, he might still be alive (the recording, that is)  ;D

Cato

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 18, 2014, 09:44:43 AM
Neither was I.  I had St. Jochum as my # 2, although had I put him # 1, he might still be alive (the recording, that is)  ;D

(Voice of James Earl Jones) "If you only knew the POWER" of Bruckner: Resurrection is always possible!   0:)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Ken B on September 18, 2014, 07:51:37 AM

It was Sarge and I that gave him the heeve ho. Frankly, he didn't cut it in the 2nd movement. I have no loyalties when it comes to blind listening! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 18, 2014, 11:02:03 AM
I have no loyalties when it comes to blind listening! :)

+1

Since there's so much talk about those that did get eliminated, perhaps I'll throw in a 3-recording group of finales from eliminated performances and see who wins that!

TheGSMoeller

Ken B

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 22, 2014, 02:44:16 PM
*crickets*
Blooooooood, bloooooooood! I want bloooooood! More recordings left broken and discarded, more gnashing of teeth and wailing.