Bruckner's 6th Symphony - Blind Comparison

Started by TheGSMoeller, May 02, 2014, 05:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

I will try to get to round 3 this weekend, Greg.   :)

Been busy the last few weeks, including meeting a special woman.  ;D

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 23, 2014, 06:23:41 PM
I will try to get to round 3 this weekend, Greg.   :)

Been busy the last few weeks, including meeting a special woman.  ;D

And I'm sure the last thing you'd want to tell her is, "Sorry, would love to get know you better buuuut I've really got to listen to the finale of Bruckner's 6th symphony about 4 times tonight. How about coffee tomorrow?:)

And congratulations and good luck, my friend!  8)

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 23, 2014, 06:26:48 PM
And I'm sure the last thing you'd want to tell her is, "Sorry, would love to get know you better buuuut I've really got to listen to the finale of Bruckner's 6th symphony about 4 times tonight. How about coffee tomorrow?:)

And congratulations and good luck, my friend!  8)

LOL, Greg!  :D  It has been going really well, and she is intrigued and wants to know about my classical music passion.  ;D  I did tell her I have a few 'blind listen comparisons' to do on a forum called GMG and she said "Wow, that is awesome'.  :)  I've already introduced her to Mozart's 40th Symphony, Wagner's Die Walkure Act I, and Bach's 6 Cello Suites.

She genuinely liked the music!  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 23, 2014, 07:28:26 PM
LOL, Greg!  :D  It has been going really well, and she is intrigued and wants to know about my classical music passion.  ;D  I did tell her I have a few 'blind listen comparisons' to do on a forum called GMG and she said "Wow, that is awesome'.  :)  I've already introduced her to Mozart's 40th Symphony, Wagner's Die Walkure Act I, and Bach's 6 Cello Suites.

Great news, Ray! She sounds like a keeper. :) Best of luck!

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 23, 2014, 07:32:55 PM
Great news, Ray! She sounds like a keeper. :) Best of luck!

Thanks, John.   :)  That means a lot.  She is a fantastic person, and I appreciate the well wishes.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 23, 2014, 07:34:14 PM
Thanks, John.   :)  That means a lot.  She is a fantastic person, and I appreciate the well wishes.  :)

You're welcome. I'm sure she is a fantastic person, Ray. 8)

Brahmsian

Ken B

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 23, 2014, 07:28:26 PM

Anyone who can listen to that much Bruckner has the ability to concentrate and lots of stamina. Hint hint.

Cato

Quote from: Ken B on September 24, 2014, 09:47:47 AM
Anyone who can listen to that much Bruckner has the ability to concentrate and lots of stamina. Hint hint.

And has the finest deepest soul worth more than platinum and unoctquadium combined!  0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Brahmsian

OK, here are my thoughts on Round 3, Group X:

X1 - Double basses and Cellos sound simply amazing here!  Good balance, and overall sound is OK, but not super clear.   Very passionate performance that I thoroughly enjoyed, very lyrical performance but restrained and not over the top.  Great one!  :)

X2 - Great dynamics, and sizzling high strings.  The sound may be slightly better than X1, but I much preferred the approach and performance in X1.

X3 - Brass is not quite up to snuff.  Poor sound quality, and it seems way too bass heavy and can't hear the treble/higher registers as well.  Muffled.  This was the only "blah" performance for me.  :-\

X4 - Fantastic sound and dynamics.  Overall feels and sounds like a flawless performance, an I really love the brisk pace for this final movement.  Just a great, roller coaster ride energy from start to finish.   :)

Vote:

1 - X4 Yay! +1
2 - X1 Yay!
3 - X2 Meh
4 - X3 Nay

TheGSMoeller

TheGSMoeller

Brian, jlaurson, ChamberNut, amw, Moonfish, Sergeant Rock, Cato, mc ukrneal, Lisztianwagner, Pim

These are the names I sent links to for the third round, did any of you not receive them in their PM box? Cato just sent me a message about this, please let me know before the deadline of September 31st.  >:D

Ok, there is no September 31st, and there really is no deadline, but let me know!  ;D
Also if anyone else wants to join I'll add you to the list. 

Brahmsian

Cato

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 30, 2014, 04:15:49 AM
Cato did group Y already, I believe?  :)

Yes, but is there another movement to do with Group Y?  That is what I was not sure about!   ;)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 30, 2014, 03:43:29 AM
Brian, jlaurson, ChamberNut, amw, Moonfish, Sergeant Rock, Cato, mc ukrneal, Lisztianwagner, Pim

These are the names I sent links to for the third round, did any of you not receive them in their PM box? Cato just sent me a message about this, please let me know before the deadline of September 31st.  >:D

Ok, there is no September 31st, and there really is no deadline, but let me know!  ;D
Also if anyone else wants to join I'll add you to the list.

Mrs. Rock has been home the last three weeks (vacation). I didn't want to subject her to the same Bruckner over and over again. I'm not sadistic  ;D  But she went back to work today. I'll be reporting for comparison duty soon.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Cato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 30, 2014, 04:26:09 AM
Mrs. Rock has been home the last three weeks (vacation). I didn't want to subject her to the same Bruckner over and over again. I'm not sadistic  ;D  But she went back to work today. I'll be reporting for comparison duty soon.

Sarge

I found it exhilarating, but everything - and everyone - has a limit!   :laugh:

Greg explained about Group Y, so everything is clear.

TheGSMoeller

My week at the beach cleared my head of all past events, just had to regroup mentally.  ???

:)

Brian

Oops, I will be able to do something probably Thursday or definitely sometime on the weekend, like Sunday morning. Just catered my best friend's wedding, so I've been busy.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on September 30, 2014, 05:56:27 AM
Just catered my best friend's wedding, so I've been busy.

Unacceptable, Brian. But I hope it went well.  :-X

;)

amw

Just had a first listen to the finale courtesy of X1. I do not detect any noticeable structural problems, and think it makes a perfectly convincing and satisfactory conclusion to the symphony, though I can definitely envision a better performance. As a sonata form in which the home key of A major does not really appear until the recapitulation, it has a notable precedent in Beethoven's Op. 101 (though resembles it in no other respects).

That "walking" theme is a little bit infectious....

Don't know that I'll have time to listen to the others tonight, but should be able to do it soon.