Bruckner's 6th Symphony - Blind Comparison

Started by TheGSMoeller, May 02, 2014, 05:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

So, X3 has no chance of surviving, which is interesting considering it scored the highest points in the Adagio 2nd Round of the comparison.  :)

amw

B1? Hmmmm. I can't say I'm shocked, but I expected better.

edit: no, C4, I am dumb. I didn't hear that one so whatever.

Brian

Quote from: amw on October 05, 2014, 02:30:14 PM
edit: no, C4, I am dumb. I didn't hear that one so whatever.

Shoot, I gave that a 9.5/10. :(

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on October 05, 2014, 04:13:41 PM
Shoot, I gave that a 9.5/10. :(

I realized I didn't wait until your headphone session to undo your tie. Did you decide?

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 05, 2014, 04:37:25 PM
I realized I didn't wait until your headphone session to undo your tie. Did you decide?
No, are we at the deadline?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on October 05, 2014, 05:35:17 PM
No, are we at the deadline?

No, waiting another few days for the 5th voters of Group X and Y to see if they still want in.

TheGSMoeller

I'm fine with four votes from each group for this round, I will post the eliminated as soon as Brian breaks his tie. And then on to the finals!!!!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 10, 2014, 05:17:02 PM
I'm fine with four votes from each group for this round, I will post the eliminated as soon as Brian breaks his tie. And then on to the finals!!!!

I'm doing Y group now. Give me a few minutes to get my vote in.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

The only one I recognize in this group is Y4. In a Sixth comparison I did on my own several years ago it didn't do so well. I still find the pace unrelentingly fast and furious which seems to be anti-Bruckner but it has fewer problems with instrumental balance than Y1 and Y2 which gives it second place. The primary reason I chose Y3 for first place is it's better sense of mystery and anticipation. The measures leading to the Coda illustrate what I mean. (13:22 to 13:50). And notice how the horns stand out.

1 - Y3
2 - Y4
3 - Y2
4 - Y1

Sarge

Moonfish

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 11, 2014, 07:28:53 AM
The only one I recognize in this group is Y4. In a Sixth comparison I did on my own several years ago it didn't do so well. I still find the pace unrelentingly fast and furious which seems to be anti-Bruckner but it has fewer problems with instrumental balance than Y1 and Y2 which gives it second place. The primary reason I chose Y3 for first place is it's better sense of mystery and anticipation. The measures leading to the Coda illustrate what I mean. (13:22 to 13:50). And notice how the horns stand out.

1 - Y3
2 - Y4
3 - Y2
4 - Y1

Sarge

Go Y3!!!!!

:D :D

Your vote seems to keep Y3 and Y4 as winners in the Y category.
I very much agree with your comments in regards to Y3 and Y4. I was a bit repelled by Y4's pace but its continuity in quality made it redeem itself. Like you I found more of a Bruckner spirit in Y3. More mystical and haunting qualities which I enjoy (and of course, a slower pace).

BUT, I thought Greg didn't want us to vote in both the X and Y groups...??  Greg?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Moonfish on October 11, 2014, 07:32:47 AM
Go Y3!!!!!

:D :D

Your vote seems to keep Y3 and Y4 as winners in the Y category.
I very much agree with your comments in regards to Y3 and Y4. I was a bit repelled by Y4's pace but its continuity in quality made it redeem itself. Like you I found more of a Bruckner spirit in Y3. More mystical and haunting qualities which I enjoy (and of course, a slower pace).

BUT, I thought Greg didn't want us to vote in both the X and Y groups...??  Greg?

Oh it's, fine. The number one rule of comparisons is that there are no real rules  8) And if Sarge took the time to listen to Y, then I'm going to count it.
Moon, do you have X? I think you do, if you wanted to add your Group X scores you can.

Moonfish

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 11, 2014, 09:55:30 AM
Oh it's, fine. The number one rule of comparisons is that there are no real rules  8) And if Sarge took the time to listen to Y, then I'm going to count it.
Moon, do you have X? I think you do, if you wanted to add your Group X scores you can.

No real rules....      >:D
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Moonfish on October 11, 2014, 01:50:24 PM
No real rules....      >:D

I kid, I kid...there are rules, otherwise I would have found a way to keep Nagano from getting eliminated in Round 2.  ;D

Moonfish

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 11, 2014, 02:36:20 PM
I kid, I kid...there are rules, otherwise I would have found a way to keep Nagano from getting eliminated in Round 2.  ;D

Or DG Jochum..... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Anna Lappé

TheGSMoeller

Group Y
Neal: Y4, Y1, Y3, Y2.
Cato: Y2, Y4, Y3, Y1
Pim: Y4, Y2, Y3, Y1
Moonfish:  Y3, Y4, Y1, Y2
Sarge: Y3, Y4, Y2, Y1

Y1 = 8 pts - Eliminated
Y2 = 11 pts - Eliminated

Y3 = 14 pts
Y4 = 17  pts

Wow! Moonfish and Sarge pushing Y3 into the finals!  :o  ;D

Group Y is closed, results of the two new losers will be revealed soon. I will allow one more day for some Group X votes, otherwise it will close tomorrow with four votes.
Stay Tuned!!!

TheGSMoeller

Group Y Eliminations.

Y1
Haitink - Staatskapelle Dresden (A5/D1)

Y2
Stein - Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (A2/D4)

amw

Hmm. So this eliminates all of the first round's Group A, and thus all but 2 of the recordings I've heard so far (B1 and B3 from round two are the only survivors, and I've likely helped eliminate them from the other group >.>)

My presence seems to be a Bruckner killer.

Horst Stein wasn't bad though, I might try to hear that sometime.

Daverz

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 11, 2014, 07:59:31 PM
Stein - Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (A2/D4)

How's that for unbiased: it's a blind and deaf comparison.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Daverz on October 11, 2014, 08:37:48 PM
How's that for unbiased: it's a blind and deaf comparison.

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 09, 2014, 11:58:48 PMThe inner voices seem difficult to make out sometimes.

I agree with Neal. That was my primary problem with Stein, and why I voted him down in both the Adagio and Finale rounds (didn't hear him in the first round). Some details were smothered by the recording; sometimes it was the winds, sometimes the horns. Stein remains one of my favorite Sixths as an interpretation but the sonics and performance leave something to be desired, at least in comparison to the competition in its groups.

Sarge

Daverz

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 12, 2014, 06:19:50 AM
I agree with Neal. That was my primary problem with Stein, and why I voted him down in both the Adagio and Finale rounds (didn't hear him in the first round). Some details were smothered by the recording; sometimes it was the winds, sometimes the horns. Stein remains one of my favorite Sixths as an interpretation but the sonics and performance leave something to be desired, at least in comparison to the competition in its groups.

No need to take me very seriously.  My level of appreciation is mostly at "Oooo, listen to that Decca sound".  I would probably only notice egregious balance problems.